Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Josh's 1st Gen Integra Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2019 | 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Josh's 1st Gen Integra Build

Nice build! I always wanted to do the same and resurrect a 1st gen with a B18C and boosted I like your choice in parts and the 5 speed conversion, how does it drive with the new trans?
Old 08-22-2019 | 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Spunkster
Where are you located? This brings back memories form about 16 years ago when I put mine together with the B18C5 and a hydro LSD trans with turbo. Still daily driving it.
I'm in California, in San Bernardino County area. That's awesome, my plans are to be somewhere around 300 wheel with AC (if possible) and be very capable of daily driving, we'll just have to see!

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
Nice build! I always wanted to do the same and resurrect a 1st gen with a B18C and boosted I like your choice in parts and the 5 speed conversion, how does it drive with the new trans?
Thank-you I appreciate it. Oh man, the difference between the 5 speed and auto is insane, they seem pretty hard to find for this particular one and this one feels like its in good shape so i'm hopeful that I can get another year out of it before I'm able to put in the GSR.

I'm trying to get all of the 30 year old suspension and brake components to get it into great driving condition then I'm going to begin building the engine.

The D16A1 is running incredible besides a small oil leak on the front of the pan from when I had to change it out when I did the clutch and rear main seal I guess I didn't get all of the old RTV off of the front area around oil pump, I was going to try some of that stop leak stuff since it's such a small leak but I don't know. The power is pretty low but it's enough to have a little bit of fun with and it's nice to get used to the car's driving capabilities with a stock clutch and not blowing the tires off in the first few gears.

The plan is going to be to drop in the b18c1 with the complete rebuild I listed above without the turbo stuff, drive it for a bit and get used to the power and save up the money for the turbo set up. For transmission I'm hoping I can source a GSR with an LSD, I plan on rebuilding that also.

I'm going to most likely do a full reseal of the D16 while I have it out and keep it if it's going to be necessary for my smog because I'm not too sure about smogging the built gsr, I'm keeping stock cams so it shouldn't be an issue right?
Old 08-23-2019 | 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JoshCampbell88
I'm in California, in San Bernardino County area. That's awesome, my plans are to be somewhere around 300 wheel with AC (if possible) and be very capable of daily driving, we'll just have to see!

Thank-you I appreciate it. Oh man, the difference between the 5 speed and auto is insane, they seem pretty hard to find for this particular one and this one feels like its in good shape so i'm hopeful that I can get another year out of it before I'm able to put in the GSR.

I'm trying to get all of the 30 year old suspension and brake components to get it into great driving condition then I'm going to begin building the engine.

The D16A1 is running incredible besides a small oil leak on the front of the pan from when I had to change it out when I did the clutch and rear main seal I guess I didn't get all of the old RTV off of the front area around oil pump, I was going to try some of that stop leak stuff since it's such a small leak but I don't know. The power is pretty low but it's enough to have a little bit of fun with and it's nice to get used to the car's driving capabilities with a stock clutch and not blowing the tires off in the first few gears.

The plan is going to be to drop in the b18c1 with the complete rebuild I listed above without the turbo stuff, drive it for a bit and get used to the power and save up the money for the turbo set up. For transmission I'm hoping I can source a GSR with an LSD, I plan on rebuilding that also.

I'm going to most likely do a full reseal of the D16 while I have it out and keep it if it's going to be necessary for my smog because I'm not too sure about smogging the built gsr, I'm keeping stock cams so it shouldn't be an issue right?
Just pay someone to get your smog done and new tags, its what I do, Join the SD or LA facebook JDM parts page and there's always guys who can get the smog done easy, usually like $250 but since my Integra is Fully built and not street legal I pay for my smog makes it easier than swaping in a stock engine then struggle to even get that to pass legit cause even stock engines can still fail.
Old 08-23-2019 | 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
Just pay someone to get your smog done and new tags, its what I do, Join the SD or LA facebook JDM parts page and there's always guys who can get the smog done easy, usually like $250 but since my Integra is Fully built and not street legal I pay for my smog makes it easier than swaping in a stock engine then struggle to even get that to pass legit cause even stock engines can still fail.
Yea my coworker has a guy but he went to get his Ranger done a few months back and the guy said he couldn't do it anymore. I just smogged my Integra a few months ago so I'm good until 2021 but I'll def keep those pages in mind. Thanks for the info.

Finally got some time to button everything up I got the sway bar put back on and the emergency brake cables hooked back up. Just need to get some brake fluid then I'll be able to pull it into the dirt and pressure wash the fender wells so I can paint them.

Old 08-23-2019 | 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There really isn't any way to keep AC as there is just no room for it. I do have power steering in mine thanks to a MR Spyder electro hydraulic pump that has its own built in controller that takes speed into account to reduce assist at higher speeds and gives extra assist when parking.
The following users liked this post:
Old 08-23-2019 | 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Spunkster
There really isn't any way to keep AC as there is just no room for it. I do have power steering in mine thanks to a MR Spyder electro hydraulic pump that has its own built in controller that takes speed into account to reduce assist at higher speeds and gives extra assist when parking.
Ah man that's a bummer, is that just boosted or even N/A is it not possible to fit AC and power steering in these chassis with the B swap? Electric pump sounds awesome I'll look into that more later down the line.
Old 08-24-2019 | 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fun cars, I bought an 88' but a 5 speed about 14 years ago. Looks identical, white but had the blue interior. Got it for $1800, drove it for 3yrs, totally abused it every day redlining it multiple times a day and it never failed. Only issues it had were sunroof would stick and the distributor igniter was bad. Cool cars especially for the money and condition you can find them in, which is generally much nicer than the civics and newer integras...
Old 08-26-2019 | 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B00STD
Fun cars, I bought an 88' but a 5 speed about 14 years ago. Looks identical, white but had the blue interior. Got it for $1800, drove it for 3yrs, totally abused it every day redlining it multiple times a day and it never failed. Only issues it had were sunroof would stick and the distributor igniter was bad. Cool cars especially for the money and condition you can find them in, which is generally much nicer than the civics and newer integras...
Nice man, yea this one was in great condition probably because his you're saying about it being a first gen but also I think because it was an automatic there wasn't really any way to abuse it haha that auto was horrible. I hope more people start to pick them up again
Old 08-27-2019 | 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Even NA there is no room for AC as the headlight assemblies are in the way.

You might want to check out www.g1teg.org
Old 09-18-2019 | 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had my first issue today. Shifter linkage fell off right before I got on the freeway thankfully not on it. I was driving and coming up to a stop I heard something hit the ground which ended up being the washer that holds the part of the linkage with the bushings on and when I went to go I couldn't find any gear and I was holding up a long line of cars, pushed off into the turnout and tied it up with a shoe string I had.. Couldn't find the bolt so I had to get a tow. Found the washer though

Old 10-08-2019 | 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Front subframe is coming out for paint. Time for new control arms and poly bushings, smaller sway bar and wheel bearings I also need to fix my leaking oil pan gasket while I'm down there
Old 11-10-2019 | 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Rebuilding the power steering pump, I thought my front main was leaking but it ended up being the pump

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-10-2019 | 09:46 AM
Fish Twig

nice work.
Old 11-11-2019 | 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 11-17-2019 | 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well,after that huge waste of time taking the pan off thinking that's where my leak was coming from it's back on. Lots of Hondabond on this bad boy.
Old 11-23-2019 | 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Had a pilot bushing made at work today, apparently the correct flywheel doesn't take one and I couldn't find the correct dimension bearing anywhere.

Painted my transmission mount with Eastwood chassis black

Reinstalled the rebuilt power steering pump
Old 11-23-2019 | 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 11-23-2019 | 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I follow the build and love the car

nice to see you are local guy too
hope to see it sometime in person
Old 11-24-2019 | 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
nice work.
Originally Posted by Jag_vtec
Originally Posted by 2001GSR4DR
I follow the build and love the car

nice to see you are local guy too
hope to see it sometime in person
Thanks everyone for the support.

Yea I'm in the High Desert, I don't go to many car shows, I'm hoping possibly to take it to Eibach and Spoon sports at Cal speed way next year if I can get the GSR done in time.
Old 11-24-2019 | 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks everyone for the support.

Yea I'm in the High Desert, I don't go to many car shows, I'm hoping possibly to take it to Eibach and Spoon sports at Cal speed way next year if I can get the GSR done in time.
I haven’t been to a cars and coffee or car show since 2009

i do hpde and some auto x

also go to joshua tree once a month
Old 11-24-2019 | 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2001GSR4DR
I haven’t been to a cars and coffee or car show since 2009

i do hpde and some auto x

also go to joshua tree once a month
I for sure want to do some track days at Willow springs. Ive been to Angeles forest a few times in my BRZ but not the Integra, is Joshua tree a good spot for roads?
Old 11-24-2019 | 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I for sure want to do some track days at Willow springs. Ive been to Angeles forest a few times in my BRZ but not the Integra, is Joshua tree a good spot for roads?
we have a farm by Joshua tree it’s great offroad there

if you come to angeles forest let me know
Old 11-29-2019 | 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally had the time to get the transmission back in.

Now that I have the engine supported on the transmission and timing belt sides I can safely drop the subframe.

Tomorrow I'm picking up a complete front subframe out of an 87 Civic so I can run the manual rack for my B swap, otherwise I have to run a looped power rack which I don't want to do.

This is also the subframe I'm going to completely restore with Eastwood chassis black and all the new poly bushings and my new control arms. I plan on making some tubular ones later down the road with some .25" wall for extra strength because even the new cast ones are old and the roads beat the **** out of them.
Old 11-30-2019 | 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Got the CRX manual steering subframe
Old 12-06-2019 | 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

​​​​​​
picked up this wings west wing for $130, I'm gonna sand it down and paint it Black. I plan on painting the car Phoenix yellow next year

Quick Reply: Josh's 1st Gen Integra Build