pls be serious
Old 03-12-2002, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Iceman or aem (gsr stuie)

Anyone?
Old 03-12-2002, 02:53 PM

i have actually heard way better things about the iceman, because of the material it is made of, but everyone will have a different opinion i guess
Old 03-12-2002, 03:16 PM
Trial User

i had hte iceman, and switched to the AEM...the AEM is soooo much better inmy opinion.
Old 03-12-2002, 03:18 PM
New User

Default Re: Iceman or aem (IntegGirlRacer)

aem
Old 03-12-2002, 03:50 PM
New User

Default Re: Iceman or aem (ALLMOTORDC2)

I'm so sick of seeing this same question every week. PLEASE SEARCH. It's a matter of opinion once you get down to it.
-Erik
Old 03-12-2002, 08:37 PM

well not really a matter of opinion...the ones who have the opinion sliding towards the iceman intake are probably very stingy with money or uninformed. the iceman intake pales in comparison to the AEM intake. there isnt any heat resistant paint on the intake, meaning any air sucked through the piping is going to get heated up by the engine (bad), the piping itself tapers down to a smaller diameter flowing from the filter to the throttle body (another bad), and since the intake itself is made of 2 pieces not one long piece, theres a big chance of the lower piece falling off. overall a poorly designed intake. go with AEM...or if you wanna be "tim the tool man taylor" about it, buy your own piping from JC whitney, heat resistant paint, and a K/N filter and just make youre own intake
Old 03-12-2002, 11:32 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Iceman or aem (BADxPNOI)

haha,

fyi, the iceman isnt sprayed with heat resistant paint because the materials used to make the intake are heat resistant.

the AEM intake however, isnt heat resistant. even with the so called heat resistant paint sprayed on it. try driving ur car for an hour or so and then touch the two inakes. see which intake is asorbing the heat.

another thing, the iceman intake is two piece, but there is no way in hell the lower portion can fall off, because both pieces have indicidual mounting hardware which bolts on to the frame of the car. u know, where the stock intake bolts to.

aem only has one. and guess what, if u add the aem bypass valve, the aem would more likey to fall off or rub against somthing. its also 3 times heavier.

iceman does taper down to a smaller diameter to the throttle body, causing the air to create a cyclone effect. kinda like the "tornado add-on" you've seen in ads.

the materials used to make the iceman are the same materials used in newer hondas and acura vehicles. like when u pop up a 98 honda accord, u see nothing but black plastic cover 90% of the engine bay. its there for a reason.

to block heat.....

i dont see the dealer using aluminun shields and spraying it with heat resistant paint.... are they...

the only time they use metal heat shields are for the headers and exahust system. but agian, its metal not aluminum.

the aem intakes are made from recycle alunimun cans. i cut open an aem intake once to install a bypass valve, and little did i know, i looked inside the intake and saw a "pepsi" logo still on the aluminum.

u call that Quality?

haha. please.

Old 03-13-2002, 12:44 AM

Iceman has got my vote... ....gained about 5-8whp low to midrange......only lost 1 hp peak.....tuned.....such a change gave me a better curve as well.......this is on a b16a......I had the AEM on the dyno at first......then we tried the Iceman intake for kicks.......way better for my setup....I could not believe it.......sold the AEM the next day.........to each his own.......

[Modified by HybridEF9, 1:45 AM 3/13/2002]
Old 03-13-2002, 07:03 AM

Default Re: Iceman or aem (HybridEF9)

ok, this is a different question the most opinions as i actually have both intake and looking for opinions on what dyno results everyone has pulled with the two intakes. I will do a search but it's more of a should i get this one or that one question.

Sorry.
Old 03-13-2002, 08:35 AM

In my opinion intakes are not that much different. When you buy AEM your buying the name along with the product. I would say they dont add more then 4 or 5 hp. Not very much considering. If your on a budget get the cheaper one if your not into staying with a known brand. I personally would get a CAI if you purchase anything. Just make sure the tubing size is not extremely small.

Like an earlier post stated the cyclone effect will help an intake push more air in, which is good. Look around and see if these cheaper brands have big enough piping, which tapers off.

If your really looking for some power, remove your high beam headlight and run a custom ram air tubing form your intake to the hole. Not reccommended for a daily driven car tho. I'm sure if your inventive enough you can make a custom pipe with a filter on the end by the hole.

[Modified by Fooser, 5:55 PM 3/13/2002]
Old 03-13-2002, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

iceman
Old 03-13-2002, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Iceman or aem (narballs)

AEM=DYNO PROVEN BEST FOR A GSR
Old 03-13-2002, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Iceman or aem (BADxPNOI)

Lets brake this down:

well not really a matter of opinion...the ones who have the opinion sliding towards the iceman intake are probably very stingy with money or uninformed.

--stingy with money....i never met anyone that "likes" to throw away money or for that matter isnt interested in the best deal possible.

--unimformed?? i think if any decision would be an uninformed one would be purchasing "brand X" just because everyone else has it without deciding for themself.

the iceman intake pales in comparison to the AEM intake.

--vague generalization

there isnt any heat resistant paint on the intake, meaning any air sucked through the piping is going to get heated up by the engine (bad),

--heat resistant paint??? its gonna take alot more than paint to resist thermal energy. example#1 BBQ grills are painted with a high temp grill paint on the inside. What happens after a few years in a grill, the paint fails and starts to flake off and even when new the heat stopping properties must be small to none because the outside of the grill is still hot. On the Iceman the intake isnt painted you are correct. It is solid color molded. While we are on the subject of heat resistance and retention for that matter, the iceman is made from a completely different material with different dynamic properties of thermal energy retaining, but that has already be discussed with the touch test in a previous post.

the piping itself tapers down to a smaller diameter flowing from the filter to the throttle body (another bad),

so it can fit on the TB and have a larger intake port. Thats one of the simple rules of modification, when opening anything to allow better breathing its better. And for the record velocity at a location 2" prior to the TB isn't the same on the 2......the difference the 2 is in the hundredths per cu. cm. This could be a result of the pipe size change as it approaches the TB, but also keep inmind the test was being conducted using the filters that came in the kits, which are not identical.

and since the intake itself is made of 2 pieces not one long piece, theres a big chance of the lower piece falling off. overall a poorly designed intake.

--find someone who owns an iceman and see how its mounted.....dont make generalizations.

go with AEM...or if you wanna be "tim the tool man taylor" about it, buy your own piping from JC whitney, heat resistant paint, and a K/N filter and just make youre own intake
--or you can get to seachin and researchin and make a good educated decision.

Im not hear to indorce either one, just lay down some info.
Old 03-13-2002, 08:52 PM

AEM cold air is the best. Go with the cold air, other wise you pulling hot air into you manifold. And the colder the air is the more horsepower you make
Old 03-13-2002, 08:59 PM

Default Re: Iceman or aem (confucius)

Iceman is made out of plastic.
AEM is made out of metal.
I dont want some cheep peice of plastic.

Go with the AEM!!!

PS *** import (http://coximport.com/) has a really good deal on aem intakes. Free shipping and no Tax unless your in NC.
for a 94-00 GSR its $182.50

[Modified by ATeg92, 6:02 AM 3/14/2002]
Old 03-13-2002, 10:17 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Iceman or aem (ATeg92)

cheap plastic? who' the one using aluminum cans for an intake? sprayed with heat resistant paint to cover up the pepsi logo? haha.

knight engineering actually did some type of research when they made their intake. they knew that make an intake out of alumnimum would collect heat. they knew that making one out of aluminum would restrict the intake to how much the machine can bend the pipe without restricting air flow. they knew an aluminum pipe, which only cost 3cents per 6inch would not make a better intake.

with plastic, they can mold the intake to get the best angle, best fit and so on. the iceman, as an intake actually look like an intake.

the aem is just a long pipe bent to fit inside the engine bay. thats the only research done on it. the other reseach was what type of paint to use and what to call it.

look at all the cheap intake out in the market. they all use the same materials.

which intake stands out from the other? which intake actually creates a cyclone effect? which intake sucks up more air?

the answer is the iceman.

just because some company paid import tunar to say that aem intakes produces 5hp doesnt mean its better..

u can pay 80+ bucks more for an aem intake. and it still wont lower ur 1/4 mile time by 1 second.

think smart. and dont fall for stupid ads. even if ur import tunar says it increased hp by so and so amounts. for the past 2 or so years...

sheesh. find a new product to test already.

[Modified by confucius, 11:21 PM 3/13/2002]
Old 03-14-2002, 12:02 AM

Advanced Engine Management.
Old 03-14-2002, 01:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Iceman or aem (G2Integrity)

I haven't felt a GSR with both intakes (yet), but i feel that the iceman is a solid buy. AEM has obviously shown the #'s to call itself the most popular intake on the market. But a lot of people buy the AEM CAI simply because that is one of the only ones they've heard of. The iceman has a lot of good things going for it, all of which have been mentioned in this thread. The "cheap plastic" retains less heat than the "heat resistant paint" that is on the AEM's. I had never heard about the tapering off at the end toward the throttle body causing a cyclone effect actually increasing air flow, but if that is true, it's another positive for the iceman. Other comments about the iceman bottom part falling off is just bull because as stated before, both are bolted to the frame of the car and don't have a chance of falling off. Also, the two pieces acts as a way to prevent hydro-lock during wet weather: you can simply switch to the short ram piece during the rainy season
Old 03-14-2002, 07:37 AM

Default Re: Iceman or aem (Kellindal)

I personally think both intakes are good. AEM is just a known brand. I'm sure you wont see that much of a difference in HP output on either brand.

The cyclone effect does cause more efficient air flow as well. Since both the AEM and Iceman do this they work the in simular ways. Heres a simular example. If you have a 2 liter bottle filled with water and turn it over, it will just spill out slowly. If you spin it a little causing a tornado inside the water will escape much faster.
Old 03-14-2002, 08:21 AM
New User

Default Re: Iceman or aem (Fooser)

i'm with fooser on this one. personally I suggest the iceman. I bought it 2 weeks after i purchased my car and haven't lloked back on it one bit. Its one of the best modifications I have done to my car, till the turbo that is. It hasn't "fallen apart" either, i don't even know where you people get this crap from. but my friends aem did a few times. after we installed the bypass valve the bottome end kept falling off each time he would start driving. finally got it to stay up there though.

now as for quality. all i can say is that when we cut the aem intake it looked so thin and cheap. kind of like those crappy 30 intakes you see on ebay that my friend has. the iceman looks much better in my opinion. but its up to you. different strokes for different folks.
Old 03-14-2002, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Iceman or aem (gsr squirrel)

I've seen the AEM produce great WHP figures on GSR's,R's,and SI's,I have'nt seen any dyno charts on the Ice man,anyone have them?
Old 03-14-2002, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Iceman or aem (maggsgsr)

AEM
Old 03-14-2002, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Iceman or aem (Interlude)

personally i had both of them and right now i have the ICEMAN. there kinda different so you really cna't compare them. AEM will prob be better for dragging. much top end power however the ICE gives s substantial amount of hp and torque in low end and decen tamount on top end which makes it a excellent daily driver intake + when you need to race you can still feel the advantages of having one in high end. overall i take the iceman because i want a car where i can feel the power at low end too. AEM you just don't feel anything
Old 03-14-2002, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Iceman or aem (LODOSS)

Good point

Quick Reply: Iceman or aem