Notices

Boostedjd's Prospective GS-R turbocharger build thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Boostedjd's Prospective GS-R turbocharger build thread

So finally decided to pull the trigger and go turbo in my teg. Been driving it for 2 years na on a b20b4 and its too slow. Ordered a b18c from hmotorsonline.

Was not disappointed. Got the whole swap, axles, harness, ecu. All sensors in tact and nothing broken. Engine looked good and no rust, all bolts came right out without a fight.

Have a spare room at my house and since im a single cat dad and live alone and live in ohio and its freezing decided to get a few buddys and help put my engine in my spare room cuz why not, its warm.

Teach them young

More disassembly to come. Thinking im gonna send it to benson to get sleeved and built since prl stopped building engines.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts
Default re: Boostedjd's Prospective GS-R turbocharger build thread

Nice HMO engines are legit! What turbo kit you going with?
Old 12-12-2018, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

engine looks so clean, nice find, love the cat too !
Old 12-12-2018, 01:42 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice. Keeping the engine stock?
Old 12-12-2018, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya engine was super clean, highly recommended hmo, little pricey but worth in in my opinion. Engine is getting sleeved and built, planning on going to dan benson, he had a special for like cleaning, sleeving, boring, balancing, rods and pistons for like 3k. Seems like a decent deal and good rep as far as i know.
As far as turbo kit i plan on going w go-autoworks top mount kit. http://www.go-autoworks-store.com/gotm62prokit.html . Plan is 400-500 hp so i can still street it, dont need anything insane and dont want it to be too hard to drive.

final disassembly, everything still looks good.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Big hole in the valve ..might not be too bad may as well replace all the valves while your at.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:23 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Don’t really see the point of an HMO engine if it’s getting rebuilt anyway could pull a block and head from a junkyard and sleeve and build it. But to each their own.

Also why a top mount kit for only 500hp. Would get better response with a mini ram at that power level.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
Don’t really see the point of an HMO engine if it’s getting rebuilt anyway could pull a block and head from a junkyard and sleeve and build it. But to each their own.

Also why a top mount kit for only 500hp. Would get better response with a mini ram at that power level.
I also agree, should of just used a blown engine! but if the head has a hole in the valve you can return that engine im sure under warranty. HMO guarantees there engines to run and that would not run with that hole in the valve..
Old 12-13-2018, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No hole in the valve, guess the pic just makes it look like that. Everythings good on the engine. And went w hmo cuz ive been screwed twice buying used engines. I just like the peace of mind of have gaurenteed everything, still using the head, sensors, harness. Also rather pay and get everything i need than spend forever searching craigs and driving around to get a bunch if random parts in unknown condition. And no particular real reason for top mount, kinda just had ny mind set on it, like the way it looks and I've never heard anything bad about them. Plus might get bored at 500 and go up, rhen no need to buy half a turbo setup again if i switch.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedjd
No hole in the valve, guess the pic just makes it look like that. Everythings good on the engine. And went w hmo cuz ive been screwed twice buying used engines. I just like the peace of mind of have gaurenteed everything, still using the head, sensors, harness. Also rather pay and get everything i need than spend forever searching craigs and driving around to get a bunch if random parts in unknown condition. And no particular real reason for top mount, kinda just had ny mind set on it, like the way it looks and I've never heard anything bad about them. Plus might get bored at 500 and go up, rhen no need to buy half a turbo setup again if i switch.
im in the middle of my b18c1 build right now, I’m sending my block to CSS, about the 3rd of the cost and rated for 750+hp and cars are running over 1000hp with these blocks, they do great work
Old 12-13-2018, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

smart call on the engine. I thought benson was done sleeving blocks or honda blocks years ago. That mite have been erl sleeving. Good call with goin with goautoworks. I would consider changing to a mini ram or even a ramhorn. Those will both go a long way. Depending on how efficient the rest of the setup is, you could do 600whp on an mini ram. And have way better response compared to the topmount.

also what parts of ohio. Im up in toledo.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So finally decided to pull the trigger and go turbo in my teg. Been driving it for 2 years na on a b20b4 and its too slow. Ordered a b18c from hmotorsonline.

Was not disappointed. Got the whole swap, axles, harness, ecu. All sensors in tact and nothing broken. Engine looked good and no rust, all bolts came right out without a fight.

Have a spare room at my house and since im a single cat dad and live alone and live in ohio and its freezing decided to get a few buddys and help put my engine in my spare room cuz why not, its warm.

Teach them young

More disassembly to come. Thinking im gonna send it to benson to get sleeved and built since prl stopped building engines.
nice job. Wish I had a spare room to do that in. only got the garage with a space heater..
Old 12-14-2018, 03:45 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Right, I get not wanting to search around and piece together parts. To me that is some of the fun of the build process, but again to each his own.

Back on the top mount, I get it, but this is a street car, no? Response is important, because you will get left behind by cars with half the HP while waiting for yours to spool. Then when the power finally comes on like flipping a switch, it will be more than your street tires can handle and you'll blow them off, while going essentially nowhere.

You're obviously putting a lot into this build, should set it up for a good linear, responsive power band.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is on dan bensons website. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

http://www.go-autoworks-store.com/goprokit.html
something like this better then? Think its the same kit basically just ramhorn instead. Unless anyones got better ideas. Cant justify 8k on full race or sheepy built. Idk guess i havent looked into it too much just didnt realize top mounts had that much lag.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also spent 2k last night. Got id 1050 injectors, speedfactory 3 filter catch can, -10 an line and fitting kit, comp clutch, skunk 2 composite fuel rail, and skunk 2 pro 2 coilovers cuz i hate the ones on it right now. Merry xmas to me? Lol

And im also located in akron ohio, think 3-4 hrs from toledo?

csr cureently, stock b20b4 , painted it por15 aluminum, aem intake, skunk 2 manifold, plm exhaust, 2 nrg seats, rays gram lights 15x8, unknown coilovers no label or anything and starting to sqeak why i bought new ones, probly ebay judging by how the car was when i got it.

Last edited by boostedjd; 12-14-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Damn 3350 sounds like to good of a deal to pass up. I think golden eagle used to have some kinda honda tech deal for blocks sleeved and shipped for 1160. So this seems like a good deal.

yea the ramhorn kit would be a better choice. I honestly wouldnt run a topmount setup, unless i was stritcly drag racing. Where im always in the upper rpm range. For your 500whp goal, what turbo were you thinkin of goin with. He definitely has more turbos to offer than whats on that kit list. If you say, you may want more power later, dont buy a turbo for power youre gona want later. Select one that you can maximize for your 500 goal. Then upgrade later.

i ****** loved the tga 5857 turbo. Hit 496whp on my b16 setup

yea i think akron like 2.5 hours away.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a fun build. I'm happy to see people still interested building this chassis.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

finally got my parts in and got these drilled and fit, now to get them welded in somewhere, think im gonna get that top port welded shut as well
Old 12-29-2018, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

tapped the top w a m10x1.25
Old 01-03-2019, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

got hondata and aeromotive 340lp fuel pump
Old 01-03-2019, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone got recommendations on valves and springs? My buddy ran supertech in his k20 and one of the valves broke within like 100 miles so idk if i wana go that route. And still undecided if i wanna run cams or not.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:13 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Anyone got recommendations on valves and springs? My buddy ran supertech in his k20 and one of the valves broke within like 100 miles so idk if i wana go that route. And still undecided if i wanna run cams or not.
ferrea 6000 series valves and springs. Done
Old 01-06-2019, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
ferrea 6000 series valves and springs. Done

ferrea 6000 valves 👍 is what I got in my turbo gsr build w/ LS crank and Springs I’m using super tech dual valve spring, retainers and keepers.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the input! Ive never heard anything bad about ferrera. What about camshafts? Stay stock vs getting like skunk2 turbo cams? Or other recommendations?

another thing im a little confused about the fuel system. Mines a returnless system so id like to keep it that way for ease and clean look. And my goal is 500hp, heard people say the stock fuel lines can make up to 5-600 other people say not. And also as far as fuel pressure regulators go will the "stock style" ontop of the fuel rail be fine as opposed to "stand alone" adjustable like mounted to the firewall i guess like aem's adjustable fpr? Any input and pics qould be helpful! Thanks.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:52 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Why would you ever opt to use a returnless system? Having one extra fuel line running out of the bay does not make it any less "clean" and you want to be able to maintain a constant pressure at the fuel rail for ease of tuning when running a turbo.

Quick Reply: Boostedjd's Prospective GS-R turbocharger build thread