Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Check engine light not comming on?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light not comming on?

i have a 93 integra LS and when the key is in the "on" position the check engine light does not come on. when i am cranking the engine, it flashes a little though. it wont start and the fuel pump wont run the main relay doesnt click either. i was moving it from the paint booth to the shop (at most 100 ft) and it started sounding like it was misfireing so i cut it off and waited a minute, tryed to start it again and it just spun over never actually cranked. it has good compression, i havent checked spark but i dont think it is getting any because i straight wired the fuel pump to the battery with a fuse and it came on. then i tried to crank it and it wouldnt start. anyone had this happen or have an idea where to look? im lost...any help is greately appriciated! thanks in advance
Old 02-05-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Check engine light not comming on? (Hellbert)

c'mon guys i really need help. i was on hondaswap but my account screwed up over there and ive been told this is a better site with better information anyway. thanks a lot
Old 02-06-2005, 10:43 AM

bump....
Old 02-07-2005, 03:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you check for a burned-out bulb? But that alone won't keep it from starting.

Do the other warning lights come on? Like oil & battery? If not, maybe your ignition switch is bad. If those work, maybe main relay or maybe wiring for power to the ECU.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Check engine light not comming on? (JimBlake)

i forgot to mention that the bulb IS NOT burnt out. when it is turning over the light flashes just barely, but you CAN see it flash. i havent got a chance to get under the hood and see if its getting fire. i guess ill do that tomorrow. the battery is strong, turns it over like nothing. all the lights (head lights interior lights etc) work fine. the oil pressure is good. thats the only thing i can think that could be wrong was the main relay because ive never see anything like that happen befor? i was just wondering if anyone else had this problem and knew what was going on.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When you first turn on, the CEL should be on solid & strong for 1 or 2 seconds. Not flashing, not weak. So I can think of a couple things...

- Power for the lamp is flaky. Check connections & wiring at the back of the cluster.

- Power for the ECU is flaky. That's the main relay, so it would also explain why the fuel pump doesn't run & why it doesn't start. It could be the ignition switch or the wiring, so get a circuit drawing & check that stuff out with a multi-meter.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:53 PM

i can get a B16 ECU tomorrow. would my b18 run off of this ecu (its a PR3 i believe)? i also have an extra ignition switch so i guess ill try that one tomorrow as well. but if it was the switch it wouldnt do anything would it? none of the warning lights would come on and it wouldnt turn over, would it? are there any fuses in the engine fuse box that could do all this? standing on the passenger side, looking down at the box there are slots for 3 of the small fuses at the top of the box a little forward from the center of the box. i only have one, its a 10 amp fuse in the very back slot (the one closest to the firewall) does anyone know if there are supposed to be more in those slots? the car has been sitting in the paint booth at school and i didnt have my hood latch on so i had no way to lock people out of it and i think someone got under there and messed with some stuff, im not positive though.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A flaky ignition switch would also be flaky for the oil & alternator warning lamps. So if those are good & solid at the 2nd click of the key, then it seems like it's not the switch.

About the fuse configuration, you gotta check with your book unless someone with a '93 can help out. Different generation than my '95, so it wouldn't be the same. Doesn't the fusebox lid have a diagram?
Old 02-09-2005, 01:17 PM

i didnt get a chance to do anything on it today but im going to go grab my other switch right now and ride to the shope to see if thatll give me any luck. but you said if they come on at the 2nd click of the key then thats not my problem and thats my problem. they dont come on at the 2nd click but flash faintly when the engine is being cranked. i guess it could still be the switch, only one way to find out! i appriciate it man, later