Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

car keeps overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car keeps overheating

my 1990 acura integra keeps overheating checked all the fuses they are fine, checked out my thermostat its fine and cold,, but the fan wont spin even when my car is overheating, does anyone know anything that can fix this issue? please and thank you.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: car keeps overheating

the fan relay may be dead or the motor on the fan is dead....dont drive the car anymore until its fixed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUzOTnsWImI
Old 08-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when im driving i think the wind spins it, cause it didnt overheat. it was when i was stuck in traffic, i wouldnt take it out but its my daily driver and i work every single day so im gonna have to risk it tonight, but thank you for the vid watching it now.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Burp the system you might have air traped in the head... Just open the rad cap (when cool) and start the car and let it run for about 15 to 30 min and see if the fan kicks on... and add water as needed
Old 08-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good idea hidenplanvew ima try that now
Old 08-05-2011, 09:43 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jreks
when im driving i think the wind spins it
well kind of.

The rad fan control system on your 90 Integra is a pretty simple one and easy to diagnose, which is good because I am betting you do not have a multimeter or that cool LED testlight/jumper lead, [with head lights] probe thing the guy on the vid has.

You need a 12V test light, [not an LED type] a jumper lead, [12" or longer 16ga or thicker] and a paperclip.

Start by checking the rad fan fuse, fuse 12-15A, [hot at all times] and Rad fan relay fuse, fuse 21-15A, [hot in run] in under dash fuse box, use the test light and probe both "test tips" on the fuse, don't forget to turn on the ign. switch when testing fuse 21, if good...

Test the power lead at the fan, [blue/black on fan side of plug, white on harness side of plug], if good...

Locate rad fan relay, [engine side of rad support in front of cars batt. on a 90Integra, if I remember correctly] test for power on the black/yellow lead, if good...

Test for ground on the black lead, [move test lights ground clip to the batt. pos.(+) post], if good if...

Use the paper clip, [unfold it] to jump from the black to the yellow/green, [ign. switch must be on] on the back of the relay plug, if rad fan does not turn on...

Unplug the relay and use the paper clip as a jumper to connect the black lead with the blue lead, [ign, switch does not need to be on] if fan does not turn on...

Unplug the rad fan and supply power and ground from the batt. directly to the fan, if rad fan does not turn on, replace the rad fan.

Back to jumping the black to the yellow/green, if rad fan does turn on, locate ECT switch/plug at back of engine or next to thermostat housing, [2pin plug, yellow/green and black leads] unplug it and use paper clip to jump the yellow/green and black leads, [ign. switch must be on], if rad fan turns on, replace the ECT switch.
If rad fan does not turn on, use the jumper lead to supply a ground directly to the yellow/green, if rad fan turns on, check the ground on the black lead.

If the rad does not turn on when jumping the ECT switch plug, [yellow/green and black] or supplying a ground to the yellow/green directly, but does turn on when jumping the black to the blue at the rad fan relay plug, replace the rad fan relay.

It may sound a little complicated. but it really is not, the rad fan is supplied 12V+ at all times, [white lead that turns blue on fan side of plug] the rad fan relay supplies the rad fan with a ground, [blue lead], the rad fan relay, is controlled by the 12V+, [black/yellow] on one side of the relays coil and the ground, [when engine temp reaches 190+ degrees] from the ECT switch, [yellow/green] on other side of relays coil.

A pretty simple system. 94
Old 08-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fixed the problem thanks
Old 08-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kinda an off topic, but my fan never turns on either. but for some reason my car never gets past normal operating temp. I replaced both the coolant sensor and switch and after the fan worked for a whole 2 days and then stopped again, all fuses are good and the fan is also good (jumped it) so im kinda lost on this fan situation
Old 08-10-2011, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my problem ended up being the wire that runs to the fuse box only had about 4 little wires touching and would always come off, so i cut the cord so that all wires showed and connected it to the fuse better. idk might be something as weird as that