Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

A/C help

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C help

I just brought a 97 teg without a/c, the guy told me that i could put back the a/c belt to have a/c. I notice that whenever i turn the climate control to 3 or 4, i hear a loud whinning sound from the inside of my car. Anyone knows if that is related to the NO a/c problem? If so, how much is it to put back on the belt and whats the belt cost? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: A/C help (EColution)

The noise must be the blower motor, you need to turn the AC belt pulley by hand and see if it turns easily and also the idler pulley if it has one. Install the belt and see if the compressor is siezed up, I bet there is a problem or they would not have removed the belt, I think you can also turn the center of the AC compressor by hand too, this is attached to its crankshaft (sort of) and if it does not turn then you need a compressor and a whole AC job with lots of money. It also sound like you need to spen some money on a blower motor too.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the help, I think my car is just missing the belt. The pully moves freely. Just no belt. I wonder how much would the belt plus installation cost.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EColution &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just brought a 97 teg without a/c, the guy told me that i could put back the a/c belt to have a/c. I notice that whenever i turn the climate control to 3 or 4, i hear a loud whinning sound from the inside of my car. Anyone knows if that is related to the NO a/c problem? If so, how much is it to put back on the belt and whats the belt cost? Thanks in advance. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Having no A/C will not affect the fans. If a motor on a fan is messed up you should be able to find one pretty cheap at a junkyard or from someone on H-T who's parting out a totalled car cause they're pretty worthless.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Duane_in_Japan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The noise must be the blower motor, you need to turn the AC belt pulley by hand and see if it turns easily and also the idler pulley if it has one. Install the belt and see if the compressor is siezed up, I bet there is a problem or they would not have removed the belt, I think you can also turn the center of the AC compressor by hand too, this is attached to its crankshaft (sort of) and if it does not turn then you need a compressor and a whole AC job with lots of money. It also sound like you need to spen some money on a blower motor too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Removing the A/C will have no effects on the fans. And the previous owner might have removed the belt for a tiny bit of extra power, or maybe something ripped the belt.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EColution &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the help, I think my car is just missing the belt. The pully moves freely. Just no belt. I wonder how much would the belt plus installation cost.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's $21.99 shipped on barancoacuraparts.com (the cheapest online OEM Acura place), $12 for the belt and $9.99 for shipping. You can install it yourself pretty easily, you have to unbolt the side engine mounts, with a jack under the oil pan to support the engine (don't forget to put a wood block on top of the jack so you don't dent the pan), and slip the belt onto the crank pulley. Then unbolt the compressor from the block (I think there might be just one or two certain bolt you need to unbolt to give it slack, but I forgot) and slip the belt over the pulley, and bolt back up.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: A/C help (Hatch_R)

Never unbolt the compressor mounts to install a belt, there must be an idler pulley if the compressor does not move similar to an alternator or a power steering pump, not tightening the compressor mounts evenly like with a torque wrench is just asking for a slightly twisted compressor body and a future leaky compressor seal and needed AC serviceing unnecessarily warranted. I also do AC work but I dont have cars to memory of which ones have idler pulleys and which ones dont, most do.

You still need to be able to turn the center of the compressor by hand before installing the belt, yes the last guy may have just wanted an extra 5 HP.