Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Prelude
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 07-22-2004, 07:57 PM   #1
Supra
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Clicking sound when stopping

So, I was giving my buddy a ride today in my '94 prelude si to show him my new GPS system. The car has fairly new brakes and rotors. He brought up the clicking sound my car makes. When I apply the brakes the car makes this sound right before comming to a complete swap. He's built many different off road vehicles, so he is one to notice this sort of thing.
After putting some thought into it I seemed to recall that this car has made the that, "click" sound for awhile. At this point I am assuming I got acclamated to it and just did not let it bother me. Now I am kind of curious what it could be. I asked him if it could be the brake lines stretching. He seemed to think that would not be the case.
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 07:59 PM   #2
Hondaaccordvtec
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Clicking sound when stopping (Supra)

Do you hear it coming from the front or rear of the car? Could be warped/out of round rotors causing the calipers to make the noise.

Hondaaccordvtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 08:04 PM   #3
Supra
Garage is empty, add now

I would say pretty much for sure that it would be atleast the front. More then likely I'd have to have someone standing outside the car to hear if it also comes from the rear. My rotors/pads have about 4-6k miles in the front and 2-4k miles in the rear I would think. Maybe a little more then that in the rear.
Also, I should add that the sound is fairly loud and the car brakes fine. Previously when the rotors were worn the car would shake horribly when I went to stop. I know in my parents car the drums are, I think worn, and the braking does not feel right. I would think that would be the same with the rotors in my situtation.
Also, the braking ability of my car may have declined some. I am not sure, but I have thought to myself recently that it does not seem to stop quite as fast as it use to. Who knows if it is just my imagination or not. I can hear this clicking sound even with my stereo on.
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 10:10 PM   #4
OTT
Garage is empty, add now

Do you have grooved rotors? is so then the clicking noise you get on hard braking is the brake disk groove catching the leading edge of the brake pad. It is a common experience on grooved disks uder hard braking.
Some aftermarket manufacturers make calipers with two differen size pistons in order to stop the leading edge of the pad catching in this way.

If you do not have grooved rotors then you could possibly have an issue with the bearings in your inner CV sliding tripod joints on either side of the gearbox
OTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 06:32 AM   #5
Wiseguy619
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Wiseguy619
Default Re: (OTT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTT
If you do not have grooved rotors then you could possibly have an issue with the bearings in your inner CV sliding tripod joints on either side of the gearbox
Ditto, jack your car up and look if you have torn CV boots.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:36 AM   #6
96PreludeSi+H22Head
Garage is empty, add now

on my 96 there's some kind of metal flashing that act as a guard of some sort. well when mine was loose it caused that noise. could also happen if its bent.
96PreludeSi+H22Head is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
acura, applying, brakes, car, clicking, clicks, loud, make, makes, making, noise, pads, rapid, shake, sound, stop, stopping, ticking