Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

**How Do You Bench Bleed a Brake Master Cylinder on a G3 1994 Integra GS-R?**

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **How Do You Bench Bleed a Brake Master Cylinder on a G3 1994 Integra GS-R?**

hey guys,

i'm going to replace my brake master cylinder on my 1994 acura integra gs-r since it's leaking and pedal drops to the floor. i've already tried bleeding it several times as well as replaced my rear brake pads/rotors. i wanted to know how you bench bleed the master cylinder??? did you guys purchase a bench bleeding kit, if so where can i buy one? i've only found two online by MOTORMITE & Thexton but, the bleeder fitments are for domestic vehicles. also, if you rigged up your own bleeder...i would be interested in knowing how you did it and where you purhcased your parts? any information or pics would be much appreciated and any other tips regarding the removal/installation of the brake master cylinder would be most helpful...

thank you.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: **How Do You Bench Bleed a Brake Master Cylinder on a G3 1994 Integra GS-R?** (deep6)

Bench bleeding is just pumping fluid thru the MC, getting the bubbles out before you install it into the car. There's not much to a bench-bleeding 'kit' that you can't make up yourself.

Buy a couple brake lines from the store, to fit the MC. Put them in, bend them around so they pour back into the reservoir. Then fill the reservoir & pump it so the fluid squirts thru those lines back into the reservoir. Eventually it'll quit spitting air bubbles, & you'll get only liquid from those lines.

Maybe you can find some rubber or plastic hose (or plugs) that fit into the MC. That would work OK since there's no pressure in those lines when you bench-bleed.

Now the messy part... When you take those lines off, to install the actual brake lines of the car, brake fluid will pour out & make a mess. Wash it down because it'll eat your paint. Then you can bleed the brake system in the car.

I think that if you don't bench-bleed the MC, you'll probably be OK. It'll just take longer to bleed the brake system in the car, because at first it'll be tough to get the air out of the MC itself.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:15 AM
jpf
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: **How Do You Bench Bleed a Brake Master Cylinder on a G3 1994 Integra GS-R?** (deep6)

I just installed a reman master cylinder last weekend. I got it from NAPA and it came with two rubber hoses and two plastic fittings to bench bleed it. Just clamp the mounting flange in a bench vise, install the fittings/hoses, and put the end of the hoses in the reservoir. After that, add fluid and slowly push the rod in and out until the bubbles stop. I didn't have much problem with fluid leaking from the ports when I pulled the plugs out. I just waited until the MC was bolted to the booster and stuck some rags under it.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: **How Do You Bench Bleed a Brake Master Cylinder on a G3 1994 Integra GS-R?** (jpf)

no need for a kit when you can do a gravity bleed.

put your car up on four jackstands and open the bleeder valve slightly.

let the brake fluid drip out and check on the brake fluid resevoir every few minutes to ensure that it never goes empty.

you should be done in no time. If you accidentally let the brake fluis level dip too low then you introduce air into the system.

so be careful