Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Road Racing/Autocross & Time Attack
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 08-21-2003, 05:25 PM   #1
Wai
ProFunction/GT Motoring
1998 Acura Integra

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default How to get an undrivable car onto a trailer?

I was helping my friend to pick up his spec Miata car from the shop. The car had no interior (no seat, no dash, no steering column) and we had to push it back & forth to line up the car with the trailer. As skinny as me and my friend are, we couldn't push the car up the ramp. After several tries, my friend decided to just sit on the floor pan, started the engine and "drove" it up to the trailer. We realized that it's almost impossible to push a car uphill unless we have at least like 3 or 4 people.

For those of you who trailer your car to track days or races, how would you load the car up to the trailer if, say, the engine was blown or suspension arm was broken that the car was undrivable? Would you just push the car up with help from others? Or would you need to call a flatbed?
Wai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 05:27 PM   #2
Back in Black
Rather OG
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: How to get an undrivable car onto a trailer? (Wai)

Get some paddock friendlies to help you. There's the winch option, if you have it.

So far in '03, I've personally done this with Chad 3 times. I prefer changing my oil after every race weekend, while he prefers changing motors. To each his own...
Old 08-21-2003, 05:29 PM   #3
Dented Rx7
Garage is empty, add now

had this happen once when picking car up from a painter....car didn't run, parked on gravel driveway, me and the painter couldn't push it on the tow dolly.....finally, disconnect dolly from truck, wedge bricks under tires of tow dolly, hook chain from truck to car and pull it on the dolly...not pretty but it worked ( of course car was on dolly backwards from how it normally got towed and I almost lost it off the dolly on the way home ;-)
Dented Rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 05:37 PM   #4
preparedcivic
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: How to get an undrivable car onto a trailer? (Dented Rx7)

Come-along from Home Depot. If I remember, it was like $25. The only sucky part was having to do it in 2 steps, because the cable was only 10', and that wasn't long enough to do it in one shot. Hooked one end to the trailer and the other end to th eboat hook on the car.

It actually is a handy thing to have in the garage.

EP 86 Civic Si
GS 00 Celica GT [possible future lemming crusher]
04 GMC 2500HD CC 4wd Shortbox Monster Truck
05 JDM Accord Yo' (Acura TSX daily driver)
preparedcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 07:01 PM   #5
Tweakmeister
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Tweakmeister
Default Re: How to get an undrivable car onto a trailer? (preparedcivic)

winch
Tweakmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 07:56 PM   #6
Chris N
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: How to get an undrivable car onto a trailer? (Tweakmeister)

Call me and scott-k and some other locals, unless you are at the track, where there should be more than enough people to help if there isn't a winch.
Chris N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 08:08 PM   #7
davidnyc
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to davidnyc

http://www.limbergertrailers.com/strwinches.html

I am about to get it welded onto my trailer this week. I bought the T2600 and the winch strap.
Proverbs 19:21
R-speed
davidnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 08:25 PM   #8
PHiZ
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to PHiZ

everyone knows that a "come-along" is a manuall winch thing, right? that was a good answer.

It's usefull for pulling yourself back on the road, pulling frames, lifting engines, etc.

-PHiZ
Old 08-21-2003, 08:30 PM   #9
civicrr
Trial User
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: (PHiZ)

...or if you left your come-a-long @ home, you can use your tiedown straps. You will have to reset about a million times but it can be done.

Now, if you totally destroy your car, only a open trailer will do. I was crewing for some friends when it happened to them. The track forklift had to gently deposit what was left onto their open deck trailer.
#11 PDQ Motorsports NASA H4/E2
04,05,06 25 Hours of Thunderhill E2 Champions

Cobalt Friction dealer!
[email]sales@pdqmotorsports.net[/email]

civicrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 09:04 PM   #10
whitney
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Here's what I carry in my trailer box. It happens to slip over my tongue jack nicely and the cable is more than long enough to pull a car from the ground into position on the trailer. I also modified the power cable to plug into the trailer plug receptacle on the tow rig. Thankfully I haven't had to use it, but a friend who borrowed the trailer once did and said it worked like a charm. Not too expensive either, and you don't need to worry about it sitting outside if you can find a convenient way to attach it (mount plate slips over a trailer ball, which is not optimal IMHO):

Click the image to open in full size.

http://www.harborfreight.com/c...43331

PS (edit) - nice thing about this setup is it's portable and I can loan it to anyone who needs it. So, the short answer to your question is - make friends with me Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-22-2003, 04:08 AM   #11
ITC Racer
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Those nice tie down straps make excellent come-alongs in a pinch but you will most likely need to do this in increments.
ITC Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 04:51 AM   #12
Georgethefierce
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: How to get an undrivable car onto a trailer? (ITC Racer)

I've had to use the come-a-long by myslef (and a five footer to boot) took me about an hour to get it on there withh all the crank then resetting I had to do.

2004 WRX Wagon (Stage 2)
1990 Miata (track *****)
www.angryporkracing.com

Georgethefierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 05:12 AM   #13
CRX Lee
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: How to get an undrivable car onto a trailer? (whitney)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitney

Whitney, good suggestion on the portable winch as I have been looking for something reasonable priced (aka cheap) for awhile. I looked at SEMA for real winch company winches but they get very expensive for someone like me who will have very limited regular use. I like the portable idea so it doesn't spend 99.9% of it's life being wasted onnthe nose of an unused trailer.

I have had a Harbor Freight Come-along for many years and always keep it in my track gear for needed occiasions. I have pulled several cars on trailers but also straightened out a few bumpers and radiator core supports on several racecars with the help of trailer chains and a good sturdy tree.
CRX Lee is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
car, comealong, engine, garage, hill, home, pull, push, pushing, tow, trailer, truck, undrivable, undriveable, winch