Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Owning an R worth the hassle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (H-PIMP)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H-PIMP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why not get an STI that gives you damn near Turbo Porsche performance</TD></TR></TABLE>

Funniest thing I've read all day. Performance is merely one aspect of the Porsche line.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:20 PM

Guess which one I would pick?

..." Drive the sh*t out of it & take your chances."
Old 08-07-2003, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (jin y0!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jin y0! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Funniest thing I've read all day. Performance is merely one aspect of the Porsche line.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i must agree.. still an economy car.. yeah.. fun to drive.. handles great!... but still an economy car.. not quite a porche..
Old 08-07-2003, 04:21 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H-PIMP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

My point exactly!

Why not get an STI that gives you damn near Turbo Porsche performance, for not much more that the price of an ITR? And nowhere near the theft hassles...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I suppose an STI won't be an attractive item for thieves eh? Anything that's fast and rare will be sought after by thieves. The R's might be easy to steal, which adds to the chance of them getting stolen but the STI will also be a theft magnet, so will the SRT4 and EVO VIII for that matter
Old 08-07-2003, 04:37 PM
Suspetise...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (.RJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The market just isnt there, from what i've seen. There arent that many base model subarus sold to enthusiasts... and not many wrx's sold.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought the same thing, but I do see a lot of wrx's rolling around. Of course, I see many more civics... Whatever the case, the wrx isn't what I'd call a slouch out of the box, like a Civic CX or something, which seems like even less reason for an engine swap. It would be like swapping a B18C5 into a GSR...just buy the friggin Type R.

As for any fast car being a target, yes and no, it depends on the type of thief. If they're in it for the money, no, not if they can't part out the car. If they're in it for fun, sure, but those guys seem to be not around so much, at least on the East Coast. As RJ said, there's not much demand for Subaru parts, no matter how fast they make the STi, simply because there's not that many out there and because of incompatibility among models. Same with the EVO, or M3, or S4... Just not a demand for the parts, so not much for the thief to gain, other than possibly one hell of a ride.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:38 PM

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (CanadianR)

Type Rs are not easier to steal, hell, they're probably more difficult to steal thanks to the proliferation of ITR theft. However, things as they are, the Type R is very attractive to theives because it is so easy to part one out and get rid of the car quickly. thousands of kids are around that want type r parts, and until that demand drops, theft will continue in our community.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (.RJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

They can be had for sticker, $30,900. Just need to shop around.

The WRX isnt on the theft hit-list after two years. I wouldnt worry much about the STi at all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

why would it be? the wrx only comes with one motor trim.

the sti now has to worry about all those WRX owners who want the motor without the price.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (sscguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sscguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Convert a Lancer Rally Edition to EVO status? I don't think so...</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep, cant. wrong drive train.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (CanadianR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CanadianR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The R's might be easy to steal, which adds to the chance of them getting stolen but the STI will also be a theft magnet, so will the SRT4 and EVO VIII for that matter</TD></TR></TABLE>

EVO 8 ? how so? asides talking out of ***?

in US:

SRT4 --&gt; regular neon
STI --&gt; regular WRX
EVO --&gt; [blank]
Old 08-07-2003, 05:26 PM

Sell your car I will buy it Rob. Just give me time I'm doing my best.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:51 PM
Suspetise...

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (Soup ****)

Y'know, I guess someone COULD do it (convert a Lancer) if they really REEEEAAALLY wanted to (think EIP Tuning AWD Golf III), but man, what a pain in the ***. Even if the parts were free, I think it'd be easier to just get a damn job and buy an EVO... On that topic, August 22nd determines the fate of my thief, now postponed to be in front of a jury...18 months maximum time, big fine. We'll see...
Old 08-07-2003, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H-PIMP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, the car is extremely capable in stock form. I wish I could join you guys in some HPDE's sometime soon. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You should atleast give an HPDE a try before giving her up...that's all she's asks for ...(hint hint Limerock is coming up)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Because the bottom line is, that to me it's really all about the speed. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Rod, bottom line is your a drag racer, maybe the R is not for you but it's up to you..every man's his own.

but don't get me wrong if i had the money I'd go for either the EVO or STI also
Old 08-07-2003, 07:27 PM

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (nEoMuGen)

If you don't want your R's I'll take them. Perhaps i will start an R ranch for abandond R's
The car is a CAR none the less but if you WANT a car you have to take the good with the bad. Protect your car with a NICE alarm system and good Insurance Coverage. That's it in a NUT SHELL.
If you have to think about selling it and you have reservations about owning it them perhaps you need to sell it and get something you like better. I REFUSE to allow anyone to dictate how I live my life what kind of Car I drive and such.
I moved into a rather ritsy neighborhood and I was washing my Civic at the time taking good care of it and waxing as such.
One person said "The way you are washing and waxing that car, one might think you are polishing a Benz." This was a bit weird to say but I didn't take any note to it. Someone told me to get a "REAL" car if I am going to live in that neighborhood and Honda wasn't a "REAL" car.... So I went out and bought a Type R and put Honda Emblems on it.

Thieves are another driving force that people allow to dictate to them what to buy what to own etc etc. WELL I REFUSE TO ALLOW a low life thief tell me what to do. I love my R and never think twice about owning or protecting it. Sure thoughts cross my mind like when I come out of the Grocery will my car still be there. Well Just don't let those thought overwhelm you.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:57 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (Spoond TEG)

For me, the R has been a utter nightmare for the past 5 weeks. I won't get into details until the whole issue is over. Anyway, I should shortly have the car back and it will be sold. I don't care anymore for it and want it out of my life all together. I'm going straight to the dealer with it and buying something nobody will give a second glance at.

If I could go back in time, I'd wish I never laid eyes on it. No car is worth this hassle. I'd rather walk.

I know these are strong words, but they have nothing to do with the build quality or performance of the car. Just regarding what happens to it when people can't keep their hands on their own property.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:36 PM
I took way too long

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (Jon7)

I love TypeRs. Everytime I see one, I pitch a tent. I will definately own a Type R someday
Old 08-07-2003, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Worth it to me...I love my R....if it gets stolen? Eh, I got insurance for that...I'd probably end up getting another one...
Old 08-07-2003, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (Daly)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Daly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes its worth it</TD></TR></TABLE>

Andrew, then drive it!

-Victor
Old 08-07-2003, 11:59 PM
New User

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (97 TYPE-R 312)

one question? Do you guys have a garage? if so how the heck do they still your car. I live in orange county ca where all the street racers (and ricers) roll and not once did someone tried to steal my R (its yellow), since i've own her, 3.5 years now .
Old 08-08-2003, 12:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (Ch33se)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ch33se &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">one question? Do you guys have a garage? if so how the heck do they still your car. I live in orange county ca where all the street racers (and ricers) roll and not once did someone tried to steal my R (its yellow), since i've own her, 3.5 years now .</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't jinx yourself. More than one has been taken from inside a garage.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (SoCal ITR)

I love my ITR. I haven't had any unwanted attention yet. Mostly random people (hot chicks) checking out my car as I hit VTEC down the street. I get compliments daily on how good my car looks and I don't even a single mod for it. I love the exterior, interior, performance, and handling. Is it worth the hassle? Hell ******* yeah. It's a great car to own and I definitely won't forget it when the time comes for me to sell it.

ITR
Old 08-08-2003, 04:20 AM

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (Type-Rizzle)

Someone once told me that the Yellow R's are harder to steal than the rest. Is this TRUE??? If so how is that possible?

You accept the car GOOD with the BAD and deal with it.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (R1366)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R1366 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You should atleast give an HPDE a try before giving her up...that's all she's asks for ...(hint hint Limerock is coming up)

Rod, bottom line is your a drag racer, maybe the R is not for you but it's up to you..every man's his own.

but don't get me wrong if i had the money I'd go for either the EVO or STI also </TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldn't say that I'm just a drag racer. I've tracked rwd cars before and to me good braking & handling are just as important as straightline speed. I've just never tracked the R. When I tracked my Stang at bridgehampton back in '97 it had a full road race suspension and brake system, yet it still ran low 12's in the 1/4.
So I think I like a complete performance package more than just a "drag car".

To make an R as fast and capable as an EVO/STI you have to take away the cars original character which is n/a, light, tactile. I'm used to being a bully on the street and the R may not be the required hardware for me

(ie cars I've owned in the past 12 second del sol, two 12 second stangs, buick GN etc)
Old 08-08-2003, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jon7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For me, the R has been a utter nightmare for the past 5 weeks.

If I could go back in time, I'd wish I never laid eyes on it. No car is worth this hassle. I'd rather walk.

I know these are strong words, but they have nothing to do with the build quality or performance of the car. Just regarding what happens to it when people can't keep their hands on their own property. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is the type of outcry I've heard time and time again from overwhelmed R owners that have been brutally victimized (by thiefs, skeptical insurance companies, and careless cops) simply for owning the wrong car.

That's it! I've decided, the only way I'll keep the R is if I can get something else that's fun as a daily/weekend warrior and keep the R in long term storage. Thats right, mothballs, jackstands the whole bit. And 5-10 years from now it'll actually be one of a handful of surviving R's...
Old 08-08-2003, 08:17 AM

I think the most frustrating part is that for enthusiasts like us, auto theft is a law enforcement problem, but to the rest of the auto industry it's an insurance problem. For a lot of us these aren't just hunks of metal and plastic with some associated value; they are our prized possessions, our hobby, and the result of many hours and dollars spent.

And then some j@ck@ss grabs it at 3:00 in the morning, and the cops don't seem to be trying.

To those of you who are sick and tired of worrying about your R, I can't blame you. For those of you who refuse to let punks dictate what you drive, I'm with you.

For all of you who have recently been victimized, I can only imagine what you're going through... but don't let the a$$h0le5 who took your car ruin your passion for performance automobiles.

Me? I'd get another Type R in a heartbeat.

Keith

97 R 198
03 CLS-6
Old 08-08-2003, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And for more troubling stats this are the most commonly stolen vehicles in America

1.Camry 6.Chevy c/k pick up
2.Accord 7.Corolla
3.Cutlass 8.Caprice
4.civic 9.Taurus
5.Cherokee 10.F150

Note thieves target this vehicles cus there is more of them = demand by bodyshops,quick cash for thieves.

Quick Reply: Owning an R worth the hassle?