Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

2000 Accord DX making a humming noise when driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Accord DX making a humming noise when driving

My friend's 2000 Accord DX with the VTEC motor has been making some strange humming noise when driving.

The noise is a humming noise when driving down the road but from what I have been able to narrow it down to is some portion of the drivetrain. It's not the transmission or tires but it get progressively louder the faster you go. I swaped the tires with tires from another accord and it still makes the noise so it must be something possibly with the driveshafts. If anyone knows of something I should check please let me know.

Thanks,
Jamie

Old 07-28-2003, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 2000 Accord DX making a humming noise when driving (btl_fed_xj)

has your friend ever had any exhuast work? Sounds like a pipe/piece of heat shield vibrating off the body...

Don't know how the roads are in PA but I assume they're salted in the winter...
Old 07-28-2003, 03:16 PM

Default Re: 2000 Accord DX making a humming noise when driving (RotaryBzzzz)

hahah so funny when dummy try to help another dummy........hahaha

anyway: humming noise is from your alternator......

get a long screw driver......open your hood.......hold it on the alt. and if u hear the noise from alt.....replace it.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RotaryBzzzz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">has your friend ever had any exhuast work? Sounds like a pipe/piece of heat shield vibrating off the body...

Don't know how the roads are in PA but I assume they're salted in the winter...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-29-2003, 06:12 AM

No the car is from down in Florida not up here in PA. I am using the car for the summer while she is in New York but the car has never seen snow and it spends most of it's time down in Florida. I'll check the heat shield for vibrations but I would think if that was the problem it would be more of a banging noise than a humming noise.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:16 AM

Default Re: 2000 Accord DX making a humming noise when driving (im_the_teacher)

I will take a look at what you mentioned about doing this weekend with the alternator. I should have mentioned earlier that the noise goes away when making a relatively hard left (such as on an off ramp) but if you make the same angle turn at the same speed right the noise remains. Not sure if this means it still is the alternator but I will take a look at it and see if that's the culprit.

Thanks,

Jamie
Old 07-29-2003, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like one of the wheel bearings is going bad. they'll do exactly what you're talking about; make a humming noise when going straight, then get louder/go away when you turn depending on which direction. can you tell which side the noise is coming from? how many miles are on the car? if it's a 2000 the bearings shouldn't be going bad. did you inspect the brakes? see if the rotors are grooved or if the pads need replacing.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2000 Accord DX making a humming noise when driving (im_the_teacher)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by im_the_teacher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hahah so funny when dummy try to help another dummy........hahaha</TD></TR></TABLE>

Uh...major Self Esteem/Self Worth issues?

Who agrees?!!
Old 07-29-2003, 03:25 PM

Honda has a problem with the diff. bearings in the auto. trans. Make sure that is not the noise you hear,if it is,the trans warranty has been extended to 80,000 miles because of this problem.I have done a lot of them at my dealer.You said you are in fla.,where at?
Old 07-30-2003, 06:13 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by btl_fed_xj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I should have mentioned earlier that the noise goes away when making a relatively hard left (such as on an off ramp) but if you make the same angle turn at the same speed right the noise remains. </TD></TR></TABLE>

classic description of a bad wheel bearing. I had one of mine go bad on my 99. age isn't too much of a factor as much as mileage is. they can also be damaged by an impact, so if your friend hit a curb or big *** pothole, that can do it as well.

jack the car up and spin both front wheels. you might be able to hear the bad one. typically the way you describe it is the drivers side one but it might not be. the front wheel bearing is a double bearing. there are actually 2 bearing inside the one housing. depending on if the inside or outside one has gone bad it may make it difficult to find. thats what happened with mine.

and just FWIW, unless they changed it in 00, the DX is non-VTEC

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RotaryBzzzz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Who agrees?!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

agreed
Old 07-30-2003, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RotaryBzzzz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Who agrees?!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 07-30-2003, 09:18 AM

Default Re: 2000 Accord DX making a humming noise when driving (jweller)

Thanks for the information. Based on what I am hearing it seems like it is one of the bearings that are shot. I would probably guess that she managed to bounce off a curb or a big pot hole since she's not exactly the best driver in the world. I am down just outside of St. Augustine in Florida but I am up in Pa at the present time. I suppose that I'll have to take it in and have it looked at to get fixed since I've never down bearings before.

I've done a lot of work on other vehicles, I drive a modified Cherokee and I also own a little CRX that I am toying with the idea of chopping the roof, installing a full cage and doing a motor swap. If anyone has any advice on bearing replacement I would appreciate it but it sounds like it's a pretty lengthy job so it might just be easier to get the shop to take care of it.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:21 AM

Default Re: 2000 Accord DX making a humming noise when driving (jweller)

Jweller,

Well it might be a 99, I do know that it is a VTEC motor since it's tatooed across the top of the motor and I am pretty sure my friend doesn't even know what's under the hood much less what a VTEC motor is. I was thinking of swaping it with the CRX motor, I am sure she would never notice!

-Jamie
Old 07-30-2003, 05:21 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by btl_fed_xj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If anyone has any advice on bearing replacement I would appreciate it but it sounds like it's a pretty lengthy job so it might just be easier to get the shop to take care of it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the bearing has to be pressed out/in so unless you have access to a press, getting a shop to do it isn't a bad idea. otherwise it's not too bad of a job.

well if the valve cover says VTEC - it is. I know the 98 - 99 DX was non vtec, i guess in 00 they changed it. learn something every day