Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Hankook beats Toyo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hankook beats Toyo?

Anyone see the new GRM tire test? Looks like the Hankook was about 1-sec faster than the Toyo's (and cheaper).
Old 06-25-2003, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Hankook beats Toyo? (Jake)

was it an autoX test? (I havent looked at the issue) Toyos take some time to heat up.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Hankook beats Toyo? (elgorey)

Nope - road course. I think they did something like 100 laps.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:52 AM

Was this on Spec-Miatae?

I heard about this from Jerry/Geezer at SP last weekend and thought it was funny that they did a tire shoot-out on a car that runs in a spec tire class.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hankook beats Toyo? (HippoSleek)

The toyo and the Hankook are both spec tires for spec Miata, depending on the sanctioning body...

Well, at least Hankook is trying to make that official.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:13 PM
New User

Default Re: Hankook beats Toyo? (madhatter)

Can't wait to get my issue. I looked a both of them a couple of weeks ago and they looked VERY similar to one another.

Nash - watching for the mailperson
Old 06-25-2003, 12:16 PM
Future Texas Boy

Default Re: Hankook beats Toyo? (madhatter)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by madhatter &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The toyo and the Hankook are both spec tires for spec Miata, depending on the sanctioning body...

Well, at least Hankook is trying to make that official.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hankooks Marketing Director is Toyo`s ex-Marketing Director
Old 06-25-2003, 12:16 PM

yes......it appears that the Toyo's finished last.......but if everyone is on Toyo's then it doesn't matter does it?
Old 06-25-2003, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hankook beats Toyo? (rambler)

Nash,
I don't remember, what was the Goodyear guy selling the shaved Hankook's for? Like $130 per tire?
Old 06-25-2003, 12:21 PM

Default Re: Hankook beats Toyo? (Maxx44)

At the Pro Spec Miata race last weekend, everyone ran the Hankooks, some of the guys had to switch from Toyos right there at the track. Most of the guys complained about the same thing with the Hankooks, they would start to get greasy after about 12 laps. They didn't like them very much. They were only $135 shaved mounted and balanced though, so it would be a pretty good "spec" tire.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hankook beats Toyo? (JHill)

Well the Toyos have the best wear though. It was a close race something like .5 seconds between the fastest tire and the slowest tire.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hankook beats Toyo? (CivicSiRacer)

From TheRaceSite a little ways back: (http://www.theracesite.com/index.cfm...m_article=5116)

The Preferred Line - Special Edition - Miata Cup

4/30/2003 - Miata Cup drivers find the Hankook Tires to their liking
In 2003 SCCA Pro Racing developed the SCCA Pro Racing North American Championships that includes Pro Spec Racer, Formula SCCA, Sports Racing Pro Series (formerly the ACRL) and the Miata Cup. The schedule was divides into Atlantic and Pacific Tours with a championship scheduled at Heartland Park in Kansas.

The Miata Cup portion of the package really looked promising since there is no shortage of Miatas and there was plenty of support from Mazda and MazdaSpeed. Hankook Tires signed on a sponsor and spec tire provider and the series became the MazdaSpeed Miata Cup presented by Hankook Tires.

I will have to admit that I had little understanding of even who Hankook tires was and wasn’t sure how they were going to seemingly come out of the blue and provide a R based spec tire for the series. According to Doug Reed who is the Motorsports Manager for Hankook Tires USA I was not alone in that regard.

“That was the main reason to get involved in this series in the first place,” said Reed. “Brand building and expand our name recognition. Improve the image of our street tires as part of a ‘win on Sunday, sell on Monday’ kind of thing.”

“I was a little leery about the Hankook tire being named the official tire of the series only because I had never had any experience with them,” said Bobby Carter, who won both rounds one and two of the Pacific Tour in Phoenix. “After the very first session I got out of the car with a huge smile on my face. We had had no testing, and really did not know what to expect.”

Fellow competitor Derek Smith, who finished in the top five in both races at Phoenix, agreed saying, “I had not heard of Hankook before the announcement. So I did some research on them and found out that they had supplied F3000 in Italy and F1600 in Canada, so they must know how to make a racing tire. The handling (of the tire) is excellent with no surprises. They are easy to drive at the maximum slip angle. When you do exceed the maximum slip angle you will get audible and steering feedback in plenty of time before they let go.”

“The traction and the grip were both exceptional,” agreed Bobby Carter. “We had 9 heat cycles on the tires and they just kept getting faster. So far the tires have kept their grip and stability at both low speed and high speed.”

The tire is an R-compound tire with DOT type construction with a wear rating of 60 and some significant engineering and testing went into the tires to assure that they could deliver optimum performance to the Miata Cup drivers. Hankook did testing with different compounds and casings using specifications provided by The SCCA.

“SCCA mandated a tire that will last the entire weekend and still be viable under race conditions,” Reed explained. “We won’t sell a one race tire. Andrew Fernandez (finished 3rd in race one and was DQ’ed for a minor infraction in race two) ran the same set of tires all weekend.”

“The Z211 construction has a square and very stiff sidewall, which is more like a true racing slick than a street tire,” Smith explained. “The advantage is that you get much better turn in since the tire sidewall does not flex or roll under. Another advantage of this type construction is you don’t need to have as much camber, which is great for the Miata Cup since we are limited to 2 and 2.5 degrees.”

“I think that the decision by SCCA PRO to have a spec tire was great,” commented Smith, driver of the DKS Electronics Miata. “It limits the cost for the competitors and creates an environment for a manufacture to get involved.”

Hankook has arranged to provide on the track support for the tires. There will be tire technicians from Hankook tires at the races and Bob Vilven Tires will be the sole distributor for the tires. Vilven also supports tire distribution of the Toyo tires for the World Challenge Series.

“The support from Hankook has been flawless,” said Carter. “At the track they are there to answer and ask questions. The staff on hand at Phoenix was very knowledgeable and had a great background in the industry.”

“I definitely feel a budget team can use them on multiple weekends,” Carter continued. “We used them for all of the practice sessions, both qualifying sessions and the first race. They seemed to get faster the more they were driven on.”

“In the wet the full thread gave me great feedback and were sticky even when cold,” Derek said. “Even with standing water on parts of the track they were able to evacuate most of the water. I do have some local club racing and I plan on using the same tires I used for the Pro races.”

So it would seem that any fears and concerns that the Pacific Tour competitors had going to the Phoenix weekend were quickly erased and the competitors on the Atlantic Tour should feel pretty good about what they will find when they get to the BeaveRun Motorsports Complex in Wampum, Pa. this weekend.

According to Doug Reed Hankook Tires plans extend well beyond just the Miata Cup races and indicated that Hankook is building a real street tire for DOT tire classes. They are currently building 11 more sizes and want to expand into the SSC, Improved Touring, Touring and Vintage racing classes as well.

Hankook Tires has already had their first win in 2003 in the hands of 2002 SSC National Champion Joel Lipperini. Their plans are to compete with the present providers of DOT and R-compound tires (Hoosier, Goodyear and Kumho) and hopefully engineer a better product.

Information about the SCCA Pro MazdaSpeed Miata Cup can be found at http://www.sccapro.com/miata and information about Hankook tires can be found at http://www.hankooktireusa.com
Old 06-25-2003, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hankook beats Toyo? (phat-S)

ya... I read that last night also. Maybe the new DOT tire they are making will be the next Azenis. More competion in the tire market is a good thing for us all

Old 06-25-2003, 12:50 PM
New User

Default Re: Hankook beats Toyo? (johng)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by johng &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nash,
I don't remember, what was the Goodyear guy selling the shaved Hankook's for? Like $130 per tire?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Something like that.... I want to say $125 shaved, $118 full depth.

Nash
Old 06-26-2003, 02:43 AM

But the Yokohama A32Rs in the new soft compound were faster that either the Hankooks or Toyos. They wore quicker, though.

I was at Roebling during that test, and they really drove the crap out of those tires.
Old 06-26-2003, 04:34 AM

Default Re: Hankook beats Toyo? (Geezer)

just read the article. They re-tested on the toyos (due to a cold track first time) and they were slightly faster than the hank00ks.
Old 06-26-2003, 06:03 AM

Default Re: Hankook beats Toyo? (elgorey)

Wow it's amazing we can all read the same artilcle and get different things out of it! (moral of story - everyone should buy a supscription to GRM!!!)

The way I remember it, the Yoko's did ok in the beginning, but went off when they got hot (20lap test). The Hankooks were faster in the beginning, after the Toyo retest, and all throughout the 20 lap race.

I was very dissapointed that they didn't invite the Ecsta V700 to the test!
Old 06-26-2003, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hankook beats Toyo? (johng)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by johng &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nash,
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where is this goodyear guy? I need some new Solo-1, err I mean street tires
Old 06-27-2003, 06:13 AM

Default Re: Hankook beats Toyo? (Roldan)

Warren Secord Tire Factory

1110 W. Meeker

Kent, WA 98032

(253) 852-1492