Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Accord (1990 - 2002)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 12-28-2002, 06:01 AM   #1
GroundZer0
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to GroundZer0
Default 93 Accord LX, overheating, and heater core question?

Alright, one of my friends is selling his 93 Accord LX for 300$ to me, but there are 2 probs. He tells me it overheats.. could this be thermostat/radiator, or what else? Also the heater core is broken, which means i will have no heat correct? How hard is a heater core to install? Thank you. Any other info you can give me would be helpful regarding these matter. Peace!
GroundZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 08:15 AM   #2
jdowen2
Honda-Tech Member
2001 Honda Accord

Default Re: 93 Accord LX, overheating, and heater core question? (GroundZer0)

Overheating could be caused by a defective water pump, clogged radiator, or a defective thermostat. Lower radiator hose may be collapsing, also. No heat could be a plugged heater hose, (they both should be hot to the touch with engine warmed up), plugged heater core, or defective heater control valve.
jdowen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 09:23 AM   #3
GroundZer0
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to GroundZer0
Default Re: 93 Accord LX, overheating, and heater core question? (jdowen2)

Well if the car has no heater core, what problems could that cost, and should i get it replaced? Also, the problem with the overheating occurs after driving it for a while.. if that makes it any more specific?
GroundZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 12:51 PM   #4
cyrixvsp2
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via ICQ to cyrixvsp2 Send a message via AIM to cyrixvsp2
Default Re: 93 Accord LX, overheating, and heater core question? (GroundZer0)

well, generally when a heater core goes out it leaks fluid (coolant). That is only about a 100$ fix from a workshop, so not much money to fix a car. You will want to get it fixed if it's leaking. That could also be the heat problem, it could be leaking the coolant out so you're low on coolant. Also check the water pump. Chances are the water pump is dying, i've replaced them on almost all my hondas, they just go out. I'd say take it to a mechanic, get the timing belt changed (and water pump at same time) along with heater core and that should fix your problem and sitll have a good car.
oh ya, it could also be something simple like thermostat stuck closed to take that out and see if that works, if it doesn't, chances are it's water pump. That a common thing on high miles accords.
cyrixvsp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 04:29 PM   #5
Chiovnidca
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: 93 Accord LX, overheating, and heater core question? (cyrixvsp2)

Quote:
well, generally when a heater core goes out it leaks fluid (coolant). That is only about a 100$ fix from a workshop, so not much money to fix a car.
$100 to replace a heater core? Your joking right? That might buy the part. Do you get free labor with it? Click the image to open in full size.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1010778
400+hp d16z6 11.0@137
Chiovnidca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 05:15 PM   #6
cyrixvsp2
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via ICQ to cyrixvsp2 Send a message via AIM to cyrixvsp2
Default Re: 93 Accord LX, overheating, and heater core question? (Chiovnidca)

no, i think it cost maybe 137$ for my heater core, now, that was on my 93 s-10. the heater core went out in my 89 honda, but that was when my mom drove it so i didn't pay attention to cost at that point.
cyrixvsp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 05:19 PM   #7
Sedat1ve
New User
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: 93 Accord LX, overheating, and heater core question? (Chiovnidca)

I've been messing with my car for almost a month because I have no heat. Check the blower motor fuse and relay to make sure they are not dead. If those test fine test the blower motor. If the blower motor is working, blowing air out of the vents, when you turn on the heat but the air is not hot than it's most likely your heater core. My problem is that the cord which plugs into the blower motor only works when it wants to. I've ripped the whole dash apart testing switches and the resister box, everything works fine except for that wire which sometimes has no power going through it and other times works fine.
Black
5spd
AEM Short Ram Intake
Sony CDX-C6850
Clear Corners
Clear Bumpers
Sedat1ve is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
1993, 93, accord, core, fix, fluids, heat, heater, honda, install, installation, lx, overheating, pump, replace, s10, water