Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Bose Car Audio

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose Car Audio

Can someone please clarify whether my friends are drunk or not. They are trying to tell me that Bose is a high quality and highly rated car audio speaker and system. One said that their grlz new acura had a bose and it was a sweet system. Now granted it is pretty decent for normal listening at medium volume, but my patherfinder has bose and when i turn it up it gets distorted and weak. Now my friend called me stupid by saying that Bose was garbage, and I asked him if he knew MB Quarts, Diamond Audio, or Boston Accustics were. He said he had never heard of them. Now can someone please tell me whether Bose is even remotely a good system.
Old 12-22-2002, 06:04 AM

Default Re: Bose Car Audio (LostLude)

In an Acura system Bose is not bad at all. I mean my friend has a TL and I think it is good for being "Stock" but other then that I would not buy Bose.

Bose is overpriced. Simple as that. I will tell you this....

Bose in home audio sucks and is NOT worth it in the slightest. The simple fact is that they are not that great as far as sound and such go. Yes I have compared Bose to the brands that I use (Klipsch and Definitive Technologies) and Bose does not stand a chance. The only real thing that Bose makes that I like ist he Wave Radio but I would never buy one because they are overpriced.

So all in all partner Bose just sucks more or less and is overpriced. If he gives you any crap about it then just ask him if he has ever heard of Klipsch or Definitive Technologies, and last but not least JM Lab (Home audio products) and for car if he has ever heard of Focal. I would just ignore him and let him go about on his ignorant misguided ways.

But like I said man Bose just sucks.
Old 12-22-2002, 06:28 AM

Default Re: Bose Car Audio (D1g1tal V3n0m)

The Bose system in the Miata is nothing to brag about, I know that. Sounds more on par with any average stock factory system nowadays. Makes me wonder what Mazda was trying to pass off with the "basic system" in that model.
Old 12-22-2002, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Bose Car Audio (b20guy)

No highs no lows. must be bose. Bose uses small speakers,usually 4" in a vented enclosure to reproduce the bass of a 6-8" midbass. In my opinion it is MUCH better to use a 6 or 8" midbass in hte firstplace. That is why as you said when you turn it up it distorts. Also the imaging is usually pretty bad on their systems. But they have a lot of marketing dollars so people will continue to be brainwashed by them.
Old 12-22-2002, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Bose Car Audio (b20guy)

the only bose car audio that I have heard was in a 300zx, and at reasonable volume it sounded nice. i know that when i heard the bose wave radio, i was blown away by the sound quality in that. where could you find some aftermarket bose car audio parts?
Old 12-22-2002, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Bose Car Audio (jtintegra)

bose does not make audio products. They make propaganda that brainwashes the common public into thinking their sub-par and psuedo-engineered audio products actually stand a chance against a true audio solution.
Old 12-22-2002, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Bose Car Audio (gogeeta13)

Not true. Bose isn't bad. Like I said it is just over priced. For instance....

Ok take the W7 I HATE JL Audio but I do not dismiss the fact that the W7 is a hell of a sub but the simple fact of the matter is that if JL can get it down around the 500$ range for the 13 1/2" and around say 300$ for the 10" then it would be a more widely formiddable foe. The simple thing is Bose makes a decent product however they won't go against my Def Tech towers or my Klipsch towers either. The thing that Bose does good and I admitted to in my previous statement was the Wave Radio. The only problem with the Wave Radio is the simple fact that it costs way too much. For the the small wave radio the range is 350$-500$ and for the for the tall complete version it is something like 700$-850$. The fact is I admit that it sounds great compared to all the other stuff on the market. The simple fact is Bose does make decent stuff but just for the older people. Me I like full size towers and room shattering bass with crisp clear mids and highs. Older people don't like that.

I get complaints from my dad to turn down my home audio or car audio. The fact is the Bose products are generally designed for older people with a bit of money. My friends parents drive a TL and I think that it is one of if not the best stock system I have heard.

Basically what I am saying is that it is a simple solution.....If Bose lowers their prices to compete with others then they are not bad at all. But the fact is Bose is catered more so for those wanting a complete compact stealthy system. Some people don't like seeing huge towers in their room. Just understand that Bose is not so much directed towards teens or young adults to men in their 40s. More for the older crowd. But Bose is not the only over priced consumer grade stuff.

Sorry if I don't make any sense in my post by the way I am tired as hell.
Old 12-22-2002, 08:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Bose Car Audio (D1g1tal V3n0m)

if you have no plans of upgrading your STOCK system, bose is fine. they usually sound much better than the base stereo systems but like i said if you dont want to upgrade and leave your system that nasty 5 letter S word (stock), you dont know what you are missing. "no highs, no lows, just bose"
Old 12-23-2002, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bose Car Audio (peichie)

its a pain int he *** (as well as your pocket if you are paying someone to do it) to upgrade from stock bose to aftermarket. Plus bose sounds better than most factory systems, but you take that extra money you spend on the bose factory upgrade and get an aftermarket system that will sound way better. Thus, Bose car audio is crap and so is their home audio....damn the wave radio!!
Old 12-24-2002, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bose Car Audio (nikolaih22)

Bose sux. They use cheap *** speakers. They ONLY thing they can do is design boxes. That's it. They are EXTREMELY good at that. Period. Cheap speakers in a very well designed box, good sound for a stock setup.. but the speakers themselves are trash
Old 12-24-2002, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Bose Car Audio (rjr162)

Bose sux. They use cheap *** speakers. They ONLY thing they can do is design boxes. That's it. They are EXTREMELY good at that. Period. Cheap speakers in a very well designed box, good sound for a stock setup.. but the speakers themselves are trash
Considering their systems run on less than 8 watts rms to each speaker they don't sound that bad. But like its been said before "No highs, No lows, must be Bose."
Old 12-24-2002, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bose Car Audio (audiobahnman)

i believe they run more than that.. never really checked though, and i love how they tend to use 1 ohm speakers so you can't just stick a new one in w/o bypassing the Bose amp
Old 12-26-2002, 05:08 PM
New User

Default Re: Bose Car Audio (gogeeta13)

I hear most of the inflated price of the wave radio comes from ad revenue. You should hear how much its costs Them to make it.
Old 12-26-2002, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Bose Car Audio (mrvinyl33)

I hear most of the inflated price of the wave radio comes from ad revenue. You should hear how much its costs Them to make it.
If you work at Best Buy you accomidation price is (drum roll) 179$
Old 12-29-2002, 01:44 PM

Bose doesn't make crappy OEM car audio systems out of choice. The manufacturers give 'em certain criteria and the specs on the car. When it comes to the car business: lowest bidder wins. You just can't pull that much performance out of the little manufacturers are willing to pay for 'em.

It's almost sad to see how many cars ont he road today still have the stock system. It goes to show that the vast majority of people think that stock systems are "adequate enough."
Old 12-29-2002, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bose Car Audio (LostLude)

Bose's claim to fame was taking the cheaped driver they could find, building a ported enclosure for it and equalizing the hell out of it.

Some newer Bose systems are really not that bad. Usually all they lack is power and since they are now usually conventional 4 ohm drivers, the can be connected to an aftermarket amp. We did an install in a 01 MB SLK320 recently, put in an indash video monitor, kept the factory speakers (mid and tweeter in the front, subwoofers behind the seat) and ran them off a small 4 channel Alpine V12 amp. It made a huge difference... it was like night and day.

Usually the best upgrade for most of the bose systems is to add a subwoofer and amp so you can keep the bass **** on the deck on flat, reserving the front and rear speakers for mids and highs.

IMO, nothing sounds worse from the factory than the HKs in BMWs.

Old 12-29-2002, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Bose Car Audio (dc24me)

Click here

A very one sided review of a Bose home system but it brings up an interesting point regarding the frequency response.
Old 01-01-2003, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

**** man, that's better than Fry's. We only got $35 if we sold a Lifestyles 35. You guys at Bestbuy have it so much better than we did.

Dave