Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic gas issue -95 Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's somewhat of a video showing what it's doing. I can try to get a better one. The loud noise is no o2 sensor.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:20 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: Civic gas issue

Have you checked the Fuel Pressure at the check spot on top of the fuel filter? (Rule out line blockage from tank to filter)

Have you checked the Evap system? There is a two way valve and a Purge Solenoid that can affect the fuel system and the Charcoal canister I believe. (Helps control fuel pressure by releasing extra vapor pressure)
Old 08-25-2014, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
Have you checked the Fuel Pressure at the check spot on top of the fuel filter? (Rule out line blockage from tank to filter) Have you checked the Evap system? There is a two way valve and a Purge Solenoid that can affect the fuel system and the Charcoal canister I believe. (Helps control fuel pressure by releasing extra vapor pressure)
I need to know where I can rent or buy a fuel pressure gauge. Also, a diy of his exactly to do this. I have never done it.

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:24 PM
Hysterically Calm

Make sure it's a fuel injection pressure tester not the old classic fuel pressure tester for carb engines. Those typically never went above 15 PSI while fuel injection typically runs 40-45 PSI standard.

Sounds like you could use the Helm's (FSM) Manual. You can pick one up for cheap at helminc.com It will be your bible for the car.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure it's a fuel injection pressure tester not the old classic fuel pressure tester for carb engines. Those typically never went above 15 PSI while fuel injection typically runs 40-45 PSI standard. Sounds like you could use the Helm's (FSM) Manual. You can pick one up for cheap at helminc.com It will be your bible for the car.
Yeah, I just picked one up from autozone and I'm sure it's for FI motors. Thanks for the link, I just need this car running ASAP. Hopefully someone can simply explain how to use the test kit. Or I'll YouTube.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:17 PM
Hysterically Calm

On top of the fuel filter is that smaller bolt, that is the bolt you remove and screw your tester into. That's the FSM spot for fuel presser testing. Ever wonder why it was a double bolt right there? Now ya know.

Name:  USDM_92-95_civic-293.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  165.9 KB
Name:  USDM_92-95_civic-294.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  153.8 KB
Old 08-25-2014, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On top of the fuel filter is that smaller bolt, that is the bolt you remove and screw your tester into. That's the FSM spot for fuel presser testing. Ever wonder why it was a double bolt right there? Now ya know.
You are the man. After examining the kit, I figured it would be the banjo bolt.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, so I tested it.

Results are,

With hose disconnected, 51
Connected 42

I am not within spec, it says it can be a faulty regulator or pinched or clogged line.

I should add, I swapped out the old regulator with one off a GSR because it was all we had at the moment.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The car was not at operating temperature nor was it cold. It was warming up, not sure if that matters.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:33 PM
Hysterically Calm

Default Re: Civic gas issue -95 Civic EX

It shouldn't but the GSR regulator is probably why the pressure is high. I don't have the manual off hand but I suspect the B18 requires a higher pressure to run properly.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It shouldn't but the GSR regulator is probably why the pressure is high. I don't have the manual off hand but I suspect the B18 requires a higher pressure to run properly.
So at this point I am completely lost. I'm not sure what the heck the problem is. A buddy was telling me yesterday that the car can be sucking up air if the fuel level gets too low? I want to say the car starts to act funny once it reaches a bit lower of a half tank and under. I will have to double check today.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:17 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

So when you rev your car does the pressure drop or rise?
Old 08-26-2014, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay. I will try to get a d series regulator at the junkyard. I'm sure they are the same. Regarding z and y series. I didn't rev it la at night since it was 1am and the car is loud lol. I will try again today.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
So when you rev your car does the pressure drop or rise?
With the hose connected, the psi jumped to 45 when I was giving it gas.

With the hose disconnected, the psi stayed the same as I gave it gas.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Changed the regulator for a d16z6 one and another main relay and it still has the issue. I took another video. Here you can see it stop responding and dying on its own.

I really need to figure this out ASAP. It's my daily and I have spent the past two days trying to figure out what's wrong. Thanks for the help thus far.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update!!!

So my car had a quarter tank left. I have noticed that it seems to act like a ***** when it's below half a tank. I go to the gas station (still driving like ****), I make it. Put $20, gives me a full tank and boom. Car drives perfectly!

Anyone?!
Old 08-26-2014, 02:20 PM
Hysterically Calm

I've not pulled the fuel pump out but I vaguely recall someone saying something about a crack in the bottom of something in idle conversation about another car.

Basically it gets me to wondering, what is the system used to suck fuel from the bottom of the tank when the fuel gets low. Being it's not baffled and the gas slops all over the place when driving or sitting on inclines, what method is used to grab fuel with a 1/16 or 1/32 tank of fuel. I figure there must be something being the car (mine at least) doesn't have problems starting with reeeeaaally low gas even on hills, facing forward, backward or even sideways.

Could it be an issue with that part of the system?

Another question, when you go to put gas in your car (especially when low) does the tank suck air when you first crack the gas cap?
Old 08-26-2014, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've not pulled the fuel pump out but I vaguely recall someone saying something about a crack in the bottom of something in idle conversation about another car. Basically it gets me to wondering, what is the system used to suck fuel from the bottom of the tank when the fuel gets low. Being it's not baffled and the gas slops all over the place when driving or sitting on inclines, what method is used to grab fuel with a 1/16 or 1/32 tank of fuel. I figure there must be something being the car (mine at least) doesn't have problems starting with reeeeaaally low gas even on hills, facing forward, backward or even sideways. Could it be an issue with that part of the system? Another question, when you go to put gas in your car (especially when low) does the tank suck air when you first crack the gas cap?
Thing is, even when it is low on fuel, it starts up no problem. It's just when it drives that she struggles. I'm assuming it's something in the tank. Maybe the device that holds the fuel pump and filter? I had the conversation with the dude yesterday telling me that it may be sucking up something other than fuel, he said oxygen?
Old 08-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: Civic gas issue -95 Civic EX

Originally Posted by slow_low_eddie
Attachment 376371

This is the one that was on the car.
What is the brown, goo-ey, sticky stuff that is always on older circuit boards in cars? Is it some kind of protective coating they put on the boards that discolors with age, or is it some kind of build-up that should be cleaned away?
Old 08-26-2014, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thing is, even when it is low on fuel, it starts up no problem. It's just when it drives that she struggles. I'm assuming it's something in the tank. Maybe the device that holds the fuel pump and filter? I had the conversation with the dude yesterday telling me that it may be sucking up something other than fuel, he said oxygen?
I would remove the fuel pump and make sure the sock (little filter before the pump) is properly installed onto the pump inlet. Also inspect the pump itself and all lines leading from the pump to the outlet on top of the fuel tank as well.

Sounds like your fuel level gauge is inaccurate...
Old 08-26-2014, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JPhilBradley
I would remove the fuel pump and make sure the sock (little filter before the pump) is properly installed onto the pump inlet. Also inspect the pump itself and all lines leading from the pump to the outlet on top of the fuel tank as well. Sounds like your fuel level gauge is inaccurate...
When I checked the resistance on the float, apparently it was way off! I looked at a diy online. But I was moving the float up and down and it was pretty accurate with the gauge itself. I shall troubleshoot again and check all else.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When I checked the resistance on the float, apparently it was way off! I looked at a diy online. But I was moving the float up and down and it was pretty accurate with the gauge itself. I shall troubleshoot again and check all else.
Check the resistance of the wires between the sending unit and the cluster as well.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JPhilBradley
Check the resistance of the wires between the sending unit and the cluster as well.
How exactly do I do that sir?
Old 08-27-2014, 05:49 AM
Hysterically Calm

Run a wire with alligator clips from one point to the other so you can get the continuity measurement of the wire running through the car.

Does your gas cap suck air when you first open it after driving for a while?
Old 08-27-2014, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Run a wire with alligator clips from one point to the other so you can get the continuity measurement of the wire running through the car. Does your gas cap suck air when you first open it after driving for a while?
Which point to which point? And you mean that sound it makes when it's typically empty? I'll have to drive it around today and see. How long should this while be?

Quick Reply: Civic gas issue -95 Civic EX