Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Urgent. Transmission fluid leak!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent. Transmission fluid leak!

1991 Integra

Last Wednesday I was coming off the exit and my gears were really hard, I had to force em a bit in. With the car off only 2nd, 4th and reverse are hard to get into. Even with the car running, these gears are hard to shift into. Every other gear is fine. I put in two MTF quarts and when I jacked up the car on the driver side, I noticed transmission fluid leaking. I can't really tell where it's leaking from, I did take a pic. Can anyone help?

Name:  image-4113381264.jpg
Views: 5585
Size:  538.0 KB
Old 08-18-2014, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Urgent. Transmission fluid leak!

Does anyone know the part number for the axle seal? I can't seem to find it online since I am not 100% sure which one it is. I was given the following from the Acura parts dealer, is this correct?

91205pc9711 Right side

91205pl3v01 Left side
Old 08-18-2014, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like you hit something and cracked the housing. If you can, clean everything off and add a little amount of fluid back in till you can find where its coming out from.

And those are the correct part numbers.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

number 21
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

number 18
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

but i agree with kaycee. seem to be a crack housing. if u look closely u can see the bolt that go through it
Old 08-18-2014, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kaycee_00
Looks like you hit something and cracked the housing. If you can, clean everything off and add a little amount of fluid back in till you can find where its coming out from.

And those are the correct part numbers.
Thanks! And I actually noticed the cracked housing a few weeks ago, but nothing seemed to drip out. Besides, if it was leaking from the cracked area, wouldn't it have ran out of fluid much sooner?
Old 08-19-2014, 02:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Possibly, unless the crack managed to get bigger from vibrations and daily driving on rough roads then finally spilled everything when it did. Once you clean everything and spot the leak take a picture of where its coming from if you can. Axle seals wouldn't cause a leak like that so far forward.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Possibly, unless the crack managed to get bigger from vibrations and daily driving on rough roads then finally spilled everything when it did. Once you clean everything and spot the leak take a picture of where its coming from if you can. Axle seals wouldn't cause a leak like that so far forward.
Alright guys, I have decided to set aside my car for now and rebuild. Question, are there any rebuild kits for transmissions? Apparently I have a GSR cable transmission, 5th gear is at 4.5ish k, at 80mph. Anyway, do they sell a kit for all b series transmissions? Or how exactly does it come?
Old 08-20-2014, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Rebuild kit as in the syncros?

http://shop.synchrotech-transmission...m1plqscsfapp01

Should be everything you need, or you can find another reputable company to buy the kit from. They also sell them individually if you find out some of the others are ok. (id still replace them all while you have it out and apart though.)

But if your talking about the outer housings, your going to have to find that used. Im pretty sure no one makes an oem replacement one (other than the billet drag one) but I could be wrong.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

just get a new bell housing, any 5MT b-series trans will do I see trans go for 150-1000$ form ls to "hype R".

here 21200-P21-030 "about tree fiddy" aka $350

Also no offence but if you're asking if there is a "rebuild kit" then replacing syncros is WAY beyond you.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:27 AM

Once you have it opened you can identify which transmission you have for sure. The GSR only came on 92-93 US Integras.

Here is a chart to ID what year series you have. Form there, you can do tooth counts to verify what transmission you have. We have replacement options for you as far as complete transmissions and parts. I currently have a JDM Y-1 Transmission with LSD for sale

Old 08-22-2014, 02:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

other then you have the car to low for the area you drive.
attachment.php
i'll bet the diff is separating and has started to blow out the casing i suggest you look for a complete tranny
Attached Images  
Old 09-03-2014, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So while my mistress is sitting. I bought another car. Turned her on today and this is how she sounds

Clearly when I press the clutch pedal, noise goes away. Throw out bearing?
Old 09-04-2014, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Videos on private, make it unlisted so it will play here.

But most likely its the throw out bearing if the noise goes away when you push the clutch in. Its not making any whining or strange hum when you drive right?
Old 09-04-2014, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Videos on private, make it unlisted so it will play here. But most likely its the throw out bearing if the noise goes away when you push the clutch in. Its not making any whining or strange hum when you drive right?
******* fail haha. But yes sir. No noise while driving, at least I don't remember. I am still dropping the transmission anyway. Video is now on public!
Old 09-04-2014, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like the throw out bearing. I read somewhere a while back you can check by putting a small amount of pressure on the pedal, if the noise goes away its the throw out bearing for sure. But as long as it doesnt sound like you have rocks in your tranny while accelerating or decelerating in gear (bad input shaft bearing) it shouldnt be too hard of a fix.

I pulled my tranny to do the rear main and clutch last weekend, but with the weather the way it is you might want to make sure you pick a clear week to do it lol.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like the throw out bearing. I read somewhere a while back you can check by putting a small amount of pressure on the pedal, if the noise goes away its the throw out bearing for sure. But as long as it doesnt sound like you have rocks in your tranny while accelerating or decelerating in gear (bad input shaft bearing) it shouldnt be too hard of a fix. I pulled my tranny to do the rear main and clutch last weekend, but with the weather the way it is you might want to make sure you pick a clear week to do it lol.
Yeah I was searching last night and came across that same information. The weather has been crappy over here man lol.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah trust me I know lol, I managed to get sunburnt and rained on all in the same day.

While you have the tranny off though it'd be a good idea to change the pilot bearing and rear main seal since it'll be right there.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would find another cheap cable ls trans to throw in for now, and find a new case for the gsr trans later. cracking open a trans will start to nickel and dime you, and truthfully is kind of a pain in the *** if you're not upgrading the diff or anything. and 92-93 gsr transmissions are hard to find these days.

90-91 transmissions have a different output shaft than 92-93, so if someone put a 92-93 gsr trans in your 91, they had to use a different clutch that would be compatible with the different output shaft. so, any 92-93 cable trans should bolt right up (sounds like its a gsr if your revs are that high), but if you can only find a 90-91, make sure you get a new clutch thats compatible with the 90-91 shaft.

if you can find another cable gsr, hey by all means go for it. but there's a good possibility that you may need to settle for an ls to get back on the road until you can get a gsr back in there somehow.

anyone know what the minimum amount of stuff you'd have to replace in the trans if you were to swap the case out?

EDIT: o i c you got a new car... well thats good that you have another DD for now
Old 09-09-2014, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by full Circling
i would find another cheap cable ls trans to throw in for now, and find a new case for the gsr trans later. cracking open a trans will start to nickel and dime you, and truthfully is kind of a pain in the *** if you're not upgrading the diff or anything. and 92-93 gsr transmissions are hard to find these days. 90-91 transmissions have a different output shaft than 92-93, so if someone put a 92-93 gsr trans in your 91, they had to use a different clutch that would be compatible with the different output shaft. so, any 92-93 cable trans should bolt right up (sounds like its a gsr if your revs are that high), but if you can only find a 90-91, make sure you get a new clutch thats compatible with the 90-91 shaft. if you can find another cable gsr, hey by all means go for it. but there's a good possibility that you may need to settle for an ls to get back on the road until you can get a gsr back in there somehow. anyone know what the minimum amount of stuff you'd have to replace in the trans if you were to swap the case out? EDIT: o i c you got a new car... well thats good that you have another DD for now
Luckily, I have two friends with a 92-93 casing so I lucked out. Haha. I just have to stop being lazy and just drop the transmission and take it to my buddy's shop. Thanks for that info!
Old 09-23-2014, 02:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright guys, so, I am finally pulling the damn transmission out today, quick question, do you guys know of any good rebuild kits online? Or maybe if a local store has them? Prices? Links? My mechanic suggested we take it apart and see exactly what's wrong, but I rather have everything ready to go. Instead of waiting on parts. Simple rebuild kit would be ideal, nothing fancy, just something that'll be good enough for a daily. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2014, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump, anyone know?
Old 09-25-2014, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just the syncros? Why not buy a kit from synchrotech, if its for a daily you won't have to worry about rebuilding it for a long while if you use quality stuff the first time. I dont know of any other company other than honda that makes transmission related parts though.

B-Series
Old 09-26-2014, 10:03 AM

In all honesty, I would listen to your mechanic. He will tell you what parts you need so you can tailor what kit you purchase based on that. If you just guess you may end up with the wrong parts or not enough parts. Let me know what you need and we can get you taken care of