Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

HELP!! 6th Gen Accord Intake Manifold Gasket Swap Now Can Will Not Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! 6th Gen Accord Intake Manifold Gasket Swap Now Can Will Not Start

2000 Accord EX Sedan, 4 Door. F23A4

Hi All,

So this is my first post here on Honda-Tech, but I've been helped out by you guys through various other threads just about every time I've needed help. I had to make my own thread for this one though, I'm just having too much trouble this time around. Hopefully someone will have some insight.

I spent the whole day yesterday changing out my intake manifold gasket (It was creating a bad vacuum leak). I saw a few posts saying that the manifold didn't actually have to come out of the car to change, and this was confirmed by Eric the Car Guy, so that's the route I went with. What a pain in the A**! It took me at least an hour and a half just to get all the remnants of the old gasket material off of the surfaces. I'd advise any and everyone to just take the sucker out and do it that way.
So I get the gasket changed out, and, even though it's dark at this point, I decide to put everything back together cause I've got to get to work the next morning. I button it all back up, refill the radiator, and connect my negative batter cable. So, here it is, the moment of truth. "Did Fubar it? Nah, couldn't have. I only changed a gasket!" So I got in the car, put the key in and what do you know...It won't start.
It's definitely cranking, but it doesn't seem to be getting fuel. I pulled two spark plugs and they were bone dry after multiple starting attempts. So I'm assuming they should at least have smelled like gasoline, but they didn't. The ONLY fuel component I actually took off was the fuel pressure regulator (I know that they book says you're supposed to depressurize the fuel system properly, but I didn't. I just took the regulator off it let out the pressure anyway). I did forget to put the o-ring back on the pressure regulator before reconnecting and attempting to start, but even so, there was no fuel smell or visible leakage. When I removed it again to replace the forgotten o-ring, it was still pretty dry.

So basically...I'm lost. Has anyone had this happen before? I'm pretty sure I got all the electrical connections back in, but it's possible I missed one. Are there any (aside from the injectors and fuel rail) that would stop the flow of fuel if they're not connected? PLEASE HELP!!! I'm running out of time here. Between summer classes and work, without a car I'm screwed. Any and all advice would be appreciated!

Thanks so much in advance, everyone!
Old 07-26-2014, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: HELP!! 6th Gen Accord Intake Manifold Gasket Swap Now Can Will Not Start

Drivers side, end of the plenum. There is a ground wire for the ECU - G101. Do a search for a pic of the location - don't have my normal computer or I would post a pic of the location.

If that ground is loose or not installed, you will have issues like you are describing.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP!! 6th Gen Accord Intake Manifold Gasket Swap Now Can Will Not Start

That may VERY well be the solution! As I think about it, I forgot to tighten down that little 10mm bolt last night holding that ground on. I'll be hoping and praying that's the solution! Right now I'm at work, and won't be out until 5 so I'll try then. Hopefully it's that simple!

Thanks so much for the advice!

If anyone else has other or similar thoughts PLEASE let me know! Multiple opinions always help!
Old 07-26-2014, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, so here's my update:

I just got home, and tightened down the G101 ground strap. You were absolutely right! The engine started right up, no problem! Thanks for the advice!

However, now I've got another problem...As is often how these things work for me. The engine seems to be hunting. It's jumping from about 1000 RPM to 1300 RPM, almost like it's got another vacuum leak. Only this time, I've got a different code. The code it throws now is p1519, which is for the IAC valve I believe. Any thoughts as to how to proceed?

Thanks again!
Old 07-26-2014, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

on the back of your manifold by the throttle body the IACV is there - take it off and clean it with brake cleaner - its 2 10mm bolts if i remember - it gets gunky, and after playing with it it just isnt opening any more most likely. just move the valve around with a screw driver to make sure its loose and clean

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...=THROTTLE+BODY

Part#8 --- in the middle section should be the moving part im talking about.

Also you may want to purge your coolant system, when the car is running. there is a bolt on your thermostat housing just back it off and let it pee for a min
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...+PUMP+-+SENSOR

part#12

Last edited by whitewonder; 07-26-2014 at 06:36 PM.