Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Steering problem, 94 accord.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering problem, 94 accord.

How are you people,
i have a problem with my 94 accord, it is very hard to steer while stopped, a mechanic told me it was the rack and pinion, i bought an used one, but i want you to see some pictures of what i found today when i removed my tire,

idk whats the name of this part, but the boot its ripped.

rack and pinion boot.

some other pictures,

the used rack i bought. dont know what parts of the one installed i can use.

can i buy the boots and use this one?

do you think, from what you see, that my rack is out?

some other issues with my car,

FITV, i have fluctuating rpms when warm, this is the second time i clean it, idk if the problem is the middle seal?

and oil near the injectors, what is it?

thanks in advance.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:53 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Steering problem, 94 accord.

I see the sway bar end links are shot and you need a new CV boot. But there may be more. Without more images I cannot tell you anything else.
Cheers!
Old 07-24-2014, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may be because I'm on my iPad but only two pics worked. In the first pic i can see that your outer tie rod end boot is torn, and the other pic looks like valve cover seepage from what I can see. You say you have idle problems when the car is warm and that you've cleaned the FITV but what about the IACV since that's what's in control of your idle, the FITV simply allows a higher idle when the coolant is cool, and a car can be ran with no FITV and have no problems at all. I would look into cleaning the IACV or replacing if necessary. As for the tie rod end, if there is not play in it you can simply replace the boot
Old 07-24-2014, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a stupid question, but did you first check your power steering fluid? Second, in my experience, it is much more likely for the power steering pump to go out before the rack and pinion goes bad. The first and fourth pictures are of what is called the Constant Velocity (CV) shaft. Once the boot is ripped like that, it is only a matter of time before the shaft needs to be replaced. The CV shaft will start clicking like crazy when you turn the car. It isn't terribly difficult to do yourself. Good luck!
Old 07-26-2014, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HonBeer
I see the sway bar end links are shot and you need a new CV boot. But there may be more. Without more images I cannot tell you anything else.
Cheers!
thank you i will upload more.

Originally Posted by 95accordCE6
It may be because I'm on my iPad but only two pics worked. In the first pic i can see that your outer tie rod end boot is torn, and the other pic looks like valve cover seepage from what I can see. You say you have idle problems when the car is warm and that you've cleaned the FITV but what about the IACV since that's what's in control of your idle, the FITV simply allows a higher idle when the coolant is cool, and a car can be ran with no FITV and have no problems at all. I would look into cleaning the IACV or replacing if necessary. As for the tie rod end, if there is not play in it you can simply replace the boot
i cleaned IACV as well, left it white as snow and the mesh was very clean also, but the problem is still there, it ran ok for 30 mins then started to rev up and down, very annoying, what else can i do?

Originally Posted by suckerpunch5
This is a stupid question, but did you first check your power steering fluid? Second, in my experience, it is much more likely for the power steering pump to go out before the rack and pinion goes bad. The first and fourth pictures are of what is called the Constant Velocity (CV) shaft. Once the boot is ripped like that, it is only a matter of time before the shaft needs to be replaced. The CV shaft will start clicking like crazy when you turn the car. It isn't terribly difficult to do yourself. Good luck!
its got plenty of fluid, i will look for the boots and try to change them,
one question, is there a way i can troubleshoot my steering pump?
Old 07-26-2014, 05:46 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fuel pump affects idle as well as starting when warm. just did mine and it was a Biatch. spend most of my time removing rust from under rear of car. sorry no pics was in a rush.

u can rebuilt the PS pump with a rebuilt kit. most likely its the CV boot. they have grease in them and when ripped the grease leaks and leaves them ineffective.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94 accord typeR
fuel pump affects idle as well as starting when warm. just did mine and it was a Biatch. spend most of my time removing rust from under rear of car. sorry no pics was in a rush.

u can rebuilt the PS pump with a rebuilt kit. most likely its the CV boot. they have grease in them and when ripped the grease leaks and leaves them ineffective.
thank you, im going to get the boots, one question, because the other day i raised the car using my jack and the tire wouldnt move, it just stayed on the ground, whats up with that?
Old 07-31-2014, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How can i diagnose the problem? how can i know if its the steering pump or the rack? the fluid is black and smells like burnt, gonna change it tomorrow, i removed the pump and it had a rattling sound inside, but HOW can i know if the problem is the pump or rack? on a budget and want to make it simple and fast,

ps. dont have a pressure gauge.

thank u
Old 07-31-2014, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rack should last a very long time. Mines at 300 and still tight. Usually you need to change the pump as stated before. The fluid may be low and old. The tie rod ends inner and outer usually become loose and worn and need replaced. If there is no major leaking from the rack itself I would change the fluid and make sure the pump is functioning correctly.