Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

my intake manifold cracked at runner #4

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 03:28 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my intake manifold cracked at runner #4

There are no d15b7 civics in any junkyards near me, and I'm hesitant to order one from eBay.

what should I do?
Old 07-23-2014, 03:31 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: my intake manifold cracked at runner #4

Other than the rear brace, they're all cross-compatible from 92-00 with the only differences being the IACV and FITV. Just get any complete intake manifold off any 92-00 D series, and you'll be able to make it work.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by shotoutacc0rd
There are no d15b7 civics in any junkyards near me, and I'm hesitant to order one from eBay.

what should I do?
Where are you? I just sent this to TomCat because he was in need of one. A guy has his listed here for $100. I could probably get him to take $50. Tom needs the head and you need the manifold.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/for/4565209193.html
Old 07-23-2014, 03:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

You could also try brazing it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece...ods-44810.html

Or JB Weld it.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I'm gonna try jb weld, I have some and its the only thing IV got right now that might fix it. If it doesn't I'll go get a manifold from a y7 at my local junkyard since thats the only kind there
Old 07-23-2014, 04:08 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

If you are gonna JB Weld it, I would get a grinder and create a valley for the JB weld to stick to not to mention the gouges.

How do you own anything that works? It sounds like you beat the crap out of everything. Racing your girlfriend's Accord 10 times straight and frying the transmission...

Is there an anger management issue lurking?
Old 07-23-2014, 04:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

That was our civic. My accord has its own problems.

I pulled the intake back off, and staring at it I immediately noticed the problem. Felpro put the wrong gasket in the box! There's a copper crush washer above the coolant line that runs next to runner #4, there's no holes there to necessitate a crush washer.

the gasket fit onto the studs just fine, but looking at it closely the holes for the ports are too big, and there's that piece of **** washer there that broke my intake.

how much do you guys wanna bet Federal Mogul's felpro brand will accept no responsibility for supplying me the wrong gasket in my head kit, and breaking my intake manifold? This is easily a several hundred dollar job for a shop, they need to reimburse me for their mistake. I bet they're gonna say its my fault for not checking that they gave me the wrong ******* part

I'm gonna complain to rock auto too since they retailed me the head set which included the wrong intake manifold gasket.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:21 PM

They didn't break your intake manifold. You obviously realized it was the wrong part, and decided to put it on anyway. You overtorqued it, and broke it. That's not their fault, it's yours.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

It is true you should always compare the parts you are replacing with the new parts.

But, I would try to go after them if it was part of a kit that they sold you for a not swapped car or the swapped information was provided to the representative that facilitated your purchase.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I torqued it to what the manual says. I slid the thing onto the studs and without over thinking it assumed that a multi-million dollar company which up until today had my brand loyalty was capable of putting the correct parts in their boxes.

I didnt see the problem until I took it apart again and inspected it.

rock auto told me they can give me another gasket, but it'l still have the crush washer there that doesn't belong there. I'm gonna ask Honda what they think about it tomorrow. In the mean time I'm gonna try and make sure I do infact have a d15b7 intake manifold and not something else. I know its a b7 head since I already confirmed that. There's no hole in the head for the crush washer either so I dunno.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:49 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I torqued it to what the manual says. I slid the thing onto the studs and without over thinking it assumed that a multi-million dollar company which up until today had my brand loyalty was capable of putting the correct parts in their boxes.

I didnt see the problem until I took it apart again and inspected it.

rock auto told me they can give me another gasket, but it'l still have the crush washer there that doesn't belong there. I'm gonna ask Honda what they think about it tomorrow. In the mean time I'm gonna try and make sure I do infact have a d15b7 intake manifold and not something else. I know its a b7 head since I already confirmed that. There's no hole in the head for the crush washer either so I dunno.
Does this mean that it is a swapped engine or head? What year and model Honda is this?
Old 07-23-2014, 04:52 PM

Are you talking the hole to the far right? Looking over a number of parts catalogs, that's completely normal. It's there to help seal that coolant channel. If you broke your intake manifold because of that, it's not the gasket's fault. You say you "torqued it to spec", but when was the last time your torque wrench was calibrated? What kind of torque wrench is it? There's a reason professional shops have those things calibrated once every 3-6 months.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:00 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive never seen a d series i/m crack. car-part.com if you cant find one locally
Old 07-23-2014, 05:01 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Crushed washer shouldn't make that kind of damage. Something is a confused.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I used a Snap on digital torque wrench and it was calibraded recently I think it was either June or July I dont remember though.

that does look like the gasket, except the coolant flows thru the square hole not the circular one. That circular hole doesn't co-exist with anything in the cylinder head or intake manifold. And mine had a copper crush washer wrapped around it, and it didn't crush at all.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:04 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by OptimisticWay
Does this mean that it is a swapped engine or head? What year and model Honda is this?
the block and head are both the factory equipped d15b7. The intake manifold has the possibility of not being correct, I only say that because I didn't reference it yet to make sure. I have no reason to believe its wrong other than that I haven't confirmed its right yet.

its a 95 DX civic coupe
Old 07-23-2014, 05:09 PM
Fish Twig

Since you're always saying your tight on a budget cut the copper part of as long as it doesn't effect the gaskets purpose. You did say it didn't lead to anything.

That could be the opening for the egr found the d15z7/d16y5/d15z1
Old 07-23-2014, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have never seen an intake manifold crack before under normal circumstances.

You have created so many problem threads...probably more than everyone who has viewed this thread combined together. That should tell you something.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:15 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I used a Snap on digital torque wrench and it was calibraded recently I think it was either June or July I dont remember though.

that does look like the gasket, except the coolant flows thru the square hole not the circular one. That circular hole doesn't co-exist with anything in the cylinder head or intake manifold. And mine had a copper crush washer wrapped around it, and it didn't crush at all.
I thought copper was soft. Not so. It is more dense than IRON! Shotoutacc0rd may have something here.

Density of Metals
http://www.coolmagnetman.com/magconda.htm
Old 07-23-2014, 05:31 PM
Fish Twig

It doesn't excuse the fact that knowingly used with force and hoped it wouldn't become an issue.

Either way since not everyone knows the extent of the damage the next solution would be to jb weld and to let it cure properly before using. And to cut out the copper ring without damaging the gasket.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:41 PM

Density isn't the only measure of a metal's hardness, and is actually a poor scale for hardness. The Rockwell scale, as well as ductility, are much better gauges for that. Copper only ranks a 10 on the Rockwell scale, and 1 for ductility. Cast iron ranks an 84 on the Rockwell scale, and a 5 for ductility.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:44 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by tony_2018
It doesn't excuse the fact that knowingly used with force and hoped it wouldn't become an issue.

Either way since not everyone knows the extent of the damage the next solution would be to jb weld and to let it cure properly before using. And to cut out the copper ring without damaging the gasket.
According to shotoutacc0rd he used a snap on torque wrench that was "dead on ***** accurate" and torqued it with just enough finesse.

You have his quote in all of your posts so I doubt you will take his side.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:05 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I want to see if anyone sells the gasket without the dumb *** metal bit. I'll take the manifold with me tomorrow to the parts store and see what they have and how well it fits, versus what came in the felpro head set.

Tony might be right, if it comes down it I'll carefully cut the crush washer off. I was told I'm the first person to inquire about this problem by Rockauto, so I guess its possible my intake had a casting flaw? I'm dunno exactly, but the gasket wasn't even fully torqued when it cracked and apparent the washer has never been a problem before. My wrench didnt beep at me, all I heard was "crack!" and my intake had a fracture in it.

if I cant fix it ill either pull a different manifold, or order the b7 manifold. I found some on eBay, and according to car-parts.com there's actually some junkyards that aren't too far that have dx civics.

I'll show the thread what happened tomorrow, right now I'm more sick of Honda civics than I can handle, and I dont wanna look at it
Old 07-23-2014, 06:10 PM

Like I said, it doesn't have to be a DX manifold. Any D series manifold from 92 to 00 can be made to work.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:36 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by NotARacist
can be made to work.
yeah, about that. It sounds like work. I dunno how difficult it is but I dont wanna start Frankensteining things when the inspection is expired

Quick Reply: my intake manifold cracked at runner #4