Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

need everyone HONEST opinion **livefeed for larger SFWD events**

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need everyone HONEST opinion **livefeed for larger SFWD events**

I have been pondering , researching and looking into the possibility of testing of broadcasting for the larger OGS , MIR and some IFO events. I have and will be brain storming ideas (taking suggestions as well) contacting companies , tracks , racing teams ect ect to see if they would be interested in helping get this off the ground.

I have the video capability , software , web hosting and and streaming capability lined up on that end.
I would be creating a website (name tbd)

I need feedback from everyone on this. I have seen people post in the past asking why it hasn't been done. well im willing to get this going.

I would be looking for sponsors on my web page. getting to the events wont be free for me , neither would be setting up (im sure I would be charged as a vendor or photographer for the events)

sorry for the "rough draft" of this.

as well as streaming the larger events live , I would be looking to do "radio or phone" interview weekly with racers , spectators , race tracks ect ect to keep people in the know on happenings with the sport of SFWD drag racing...

need your feed back. thanks
Old 07-22-2014, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need everyone HONEST opinion **livefeed for larger SFWD events**

any businesses that possibly be interested in helping make this work. In any way shape or form can contact me
513 403 9282
or via email at eastansdaddy@yahoo.com my name is tristan
Old 07-22-2014, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by OneBadTurboCRV
My feedback would be as follows in no particular meaningful order:

1.) Proper grammar goes a long way.
2.) If you want to be taken seriously have a solid plan laid out in detail; as it sits, it sounds like you are just begging for money.
3.) Good luck getting this off the note pad.
1) as stated above I am brain storming , I have 12 pages of notes/brain storming down for this idea from the last 2 days and im posting from my phone. I have a business plan rough drafted for this currently

2) begging for money?? where have I asked for money. this wont be , easy , free , something that will be able to be done in a day.

3) thanks for the good luck. I am simply trying to bring something to people that has been asked for in the past and no one has taken it on and attempted it.

I am trying to GROW the sport we love , and bring it to people who may not have the opportunity (for whatever the reason) to get to see it "in person."

if you have any more feedback or want to talk about how YOU can help my personal contact information is posted above feel free to give me a call. ill be waiting
Old 07-22-2014, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's been done before...but that was a while back (YoParts). It worked somewhat well with a few thousand watching online. However, due to not having a MAJOR turnout all the time at races, attendance looked to be down. The theory of if I can sit at home and watch, why do I need to go to the track hurt. It's tough to do unless you have a dedicated following of fans and subscribers....plus some serious sponsors. People would want live video, no streaming issues, and people that can provide commentary that know wtf they're talking about.

I wish you well and would love to see it happen, but plain and simple, if it hurts attendance where we really need it again (at the tracks) no thanks. I can wait a few min for quality videos from some of the other websites out there / members on here that are at the track at the time. If it improves attendance and drives in more events / bigger payouts...of course people would be all for it.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Las Vegas Motor Speedway has a live feed on "ustream" whenever there's an event. Maybe contact them and see how they run it?
Old 07-22-2014, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

I know they have live feed in Vegas, I watch it when I am unable to attend. I wish more tracks did this.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2.) If you want to be taken seriously have a solid plan laid out in detail; as it sits, it sounds like you are just begging for money.

Haha! Trying to figure out what type of tool you are.... Someone has some motivation and means to do something and all you decide to contribute is grammar and criticism? Nice!

My .02 - Would be interesting for you to get some quotes and look into a model of opposition to see if it's really feasible. Also, the attendance issue is somewhat of a legitimate concern. However, I'm not buying the fact that if a big race is reasonably close, people are going to choose the video version over the real thing..... This might eliminate 2% of wouldbe attendees tops.

In for details as you work it through a bit more.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't have any ideas to contribute but I do love this idea. I work full time and can't make it to the events outside of the PNW very often at all so coverage of anything else has always been a desire.

Getting to see videos of MIR and WCF would be great. Hope this works out for you and the rest of us as well.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would love this and after I get settled in at my new shop I may contact you about how a business can help.

I personally love watching Light's Out when it's streamed along with No Mercy etc. I'll keep it on the laptop playing over the shop speakers all day.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ask the guys that live feed the x275 and 10.5 events like blackout
Old 07-23-2014, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And this is 1 main reason i dont come on this site... People these days, i mean coo thats your opinion but no need to be a bitch about it.

As far as the live feed thing goes.... My opinion is people would watch it. For the simple fact that not everyone can make it to the events in other states or even in there own state. Also Tevo is avail where you can record that **** and watch it later so i think its a plus... I hope you can get this goin.....
Old 07-23-2014, 12:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What i can offer, is Jason/MIR won't do live streaming, the domestic guys who have professional streaming company's have tried to do WCF and other radial events with no luck.

As for E-Town, I can say unless you have your own broadband source, any sort of quality stream will be unsuccessful. I know nyce1's tried to do a small setup a few years back for 1 of the events and ran into bandwidth issues.
Unless you are only looking to do like a cellphone/web cam stream like las vegas, then you might be able to pull it off.

So I guess it comes down to, what type of streaming are you looking to do? HD ? Single Cam Stationary.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:27 AM

This is a great idea that we need, this way we can promote the sport in a bigger audience besides videos and pictures. There are plenty of racers that would love to pay for this around the world especially for the major events.

1)I toughest things are going to be giving the tracks a positive outlook on why they should allow you to do it at there track. I would also presume they are going to want a cut of the money made, since they could possibly lose ticket sales.
2)Like Itsukiv6 stated what type of quality streaming are you going to be giving. For some specific reason ATCO and ETOWN have horrible service all the time during event. Its most likely because of the large amounts of cell phone usage in one area to a tower.
3)Look at also working with the main forum boards, that would possibly help you with the financial aspect of it.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think it's a great idea. Hope you find a way to make this happen. I live in Canada and my friends and I go to WCF every year and it would be great to see a lot more of the other events as we can't attend. Looking forward to see where this goes
Old 07-23-2014, 12:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by juniorb
I think it's a great idea. Hope you find a way to make this happen. I live in Canada and my friends and I go to WCF every year and it would be great to see a lot more of the other events as we can't attend. Looking forward to see where this goes
This! There are many of us that cannot travel across multiple time zones, countries just to watch races. If we could watch a consistent feed of events, it really gets enthusiasm up for the sport.

I know any time I can make it to the track, I am so much more motivated to work on my car, spend money on my car etc. so it is good for the import race business as a whole.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for all the positive input.

I have been contacted on facebook by 2 people so far both business owners who are interested in giving a hand in making this happen.

as I stated before I realize that streaming live would "hurt" attendance but not to the point where it would hurt the sport. the people who attend these events (I personally have attended 4 world cups , 3 Honda days , multiple nationals and more ifo's than I can remember) this would get our sport out to a very large range of people. maybe people who at one time or another thought the "sfwd" was a ricer fest slow imports yada yada yada....I am in the very beginning stages of getting this all together. I work a 9-5 job have a sfwd car I am building myself , coach 2 HS sports have 2 kids a house , wife blah blah blah. I am in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM trying to make a living off of attempting to make this a money maker for myself or do this to strictly make money. I love the sport of drag racing and import racing to be specific. This I feel would grow it and get it to a larger crowd and do nothing but help it to continue to grow.

more info to follow. I am meeting with a friend of mine after I come back from vacation to talk about POSSIBLY doing a "test" feed at my local track one Friday night for test and tune. I ill post info and where you could view the stream just for ***** and giggles.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Only problem with this is less asses in the stands and more behind the computer complaining about the lack of updates.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What type of stream are you going after, will it be a multi cam setup ? what type of camera's ?

Because the reality is, if it's just a single cell phone style stream you are looking to do, that really isn't much different then what happens now as with in minutes there are videos posted on instagram of the good races.

In my opinion, if this where to have good possibilities of what you'd like it to achieve of growing the sport .it would have to be at a caliber to like motormania.tv and how they stream events.

Lastly, I still just don't believe the sport compact fans are actually as interested in racing and a good race vs a record run and they prefer a 4-5minute video edit of the entire event then a 30minute video showing every pass in a class.

perfect example are days at the track when it's just qualifying passes attendance is much lower then when there is the lifestyle stage, car show etc and i think thats ultimately the big problem and i don't think there is any way to change that.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont think it will hurt ticket sales. i think if anything it will give some people far away a better idea of what its like to see the races and maybe want to attend. and i hope people would be willing to pay a small fee to access the streams.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Twenty47
and i hope people would be willing to pay a small fee to access the streams.

Seriously doubt that. Not trying to be a debbie downer, but people suck ***.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:32 PM

I think it like this after reading everyone's comments. We don't need to be so negative about it. We need to try and be positive and see where it goes. I think getting the first few races up and going even if its in cell phone quality members will still watch. In time when more funds become avaliable , then the quality will rise as well. I think we as racers and drivers and owners of sport compact can't restrict ourselves to sell what's this right now. How many people thought that a night time party on sat night was was completely dumb. I know I had my doubts but hell there was people coming for just that. Let's see how it goes and then go from there. Its all a work in progress and we continue to make this spotr
Old 07-23-2014, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crazes
I think it like this after reading everyone's comments. We don't need to be so negative about it. We need to try and be positive and see where it goes. I think getting the first few races up and going even if its in cell phone quality members will still watch. In time when more funds become avaliable , then the quality will rise as well. I think we as racers and drivers and owners of sport compact can't restrict ourselves to sell what's this right now. How many people thought that a night time party on sat night was was completely dumb. I know I had my doubts but hell there was people coming for just that. Let's see how it goes and then go from there. Its all a work in progress and we continue to make this spotr
Considering I did an entire year of real time updates on fb and here on h/t followed with full video coverage within 24 hours of completion of the event, as close to a live feed as you will get as thats essentially what NHRA event coverage is like, you can follow real time results at sites like drag race central then they broadcast the event hours after completion.

People still complained about how quickly i was posting updates, just because someone else may have posted just 1 time from a round while i'd usually wait for a few pair before posting, to less then 1500 views for event videos, while at the same time video edits would regularly get more views.

I couldn't find people to give me a dime for my time, then and still can't now. So now there is a reason why my coverage goes it when it goes up some times its the same week some times its a few weeks later.

Plus a lot of people talk about how they are willing to "subscribe" or pay for videos, but you'd think if that was the case i'd see donations in my paypal, or sauce spot would see donations or any of the other videographers, ososik, nyce1s etc. Heck one of the people who lives in washington state who loves my videos actually made a big post on FB, cause he knew I was looking to get more gopros, this was for something to give better coverage. out of the 7,000 likes at the time 6, people donated 4 of them where people I talk to on a regular basis in real life and 2 of them where complete strangers.

Bottom line i'm not trying to be negative, I'm just sharing my opinion based on facts and years of already doing this. I'd love for this to get off the ground, which is why i'm asking what type of setup he is looking to run.

Lastly let me just share these numbers

Spring Nationals: Results (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
itsukivr6 05-03-2011 12:04 AM by DC5TypeS02 Go to last post 85 9,115 views Drag Racing

OGS Spring Nationals @ Etown Videos by CLM and Dynamic Performance (Multi-page thread 1 2)
itsukivr6 05-12-2012 08:39 PM by itsukivr6 Go to last post 39 6,393 views Drag Racing

*Video* Honda Day and Spring Nationals ERacer Round by Round Coverage
itsukivr6 05-22-2013 05:09 PM by 2fastGSR Go to last post 11 1,482 views Drag Racing

Spring Nationals at E-Town Video Coverage
itsukivr6 06-02-2014 12:31 AM by neonkid Go to last post 9 753 views Drag Racing
Old 07-24-2014, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

right now I have one camcorder..... not a pro grade it is 1080p HD with a wide angle lense....

I am still working out everything. I will be using Livestream.com for my streaming. I have Verizon and will use a Verizon signal booster every where I intend to stream. like craze said rome wasn't built in a day. I want people to see what I could offer.....hell I need to get it off the ground and going.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would definitely pay a small fee to be able to have a live stream of races. I have too much going being a small business owner most of the time that makes it hard to be able to catch a plane across the country time and oney wise for WCF or something like that. One day maybe i can. Im doing what i can just to have my little car and race it here but i love the sport and would love to support it when i can for something like this.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Big events like WCF and Honda Day I would be happy to pay a small fee for the ability to watch a live feed round by round. Some people just want the highlight reel on YouTube the next week but I like seeing the entire event and all it has to offer. Now if only I could DVR it...

Last edited by luck4rmkc; 07-25-2014 at 11:29 AM.

Quick Reply: need everyone HONEST opinion **livefeed for larger SFWD events**