Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

1995 Prelude Si H23a1 auto to manual conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1995 Prelude Si H23a1 auto to manual conversion

what up guys. i have a decent looking 4th gen prelude and i have been dying to get it swapped to 5 spd. i have recently had a little extra money, so i'm grabbing some of the parts here and there. this is a list that i've been going by. the bold ones still need to be acquired:

Transmissions Assembly
Trans mounts-side
Engine Mount-rear (rear is optional-the rear auto mount will work)
Flywheel and bolts
Clutch Kit
Clutch Bolts
Clutch Master Cylinder + reservoir
*Clutch Slave Cylinder
*Clutch Dampener
*Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)
*Reverse Switch
*Hydrolic Lines
*5spd Starter

Clutch Pedal Assembly
Brake Pedal Assembly
Shifter Assembly
Shift linkage
5speed ECU
5spd Intermediate shaft (half-shaft)
Cotter Pins (assorted sizes)
Assorted Nuts and Bolts

can i get some insight on the parts i need. part numbers would be helpful for the clutch and brake pedal assemblies. is my list complete? meaning once i have everything listed above, all i need to pay for is labor.

Edit: if i get accord shift cables, will they work on any f or h series tranny i decide to go with? or do i need to buy the tranny and then get cables accordingly?
will using the new 5 spd ECU cause problems with the doors unlocking with the key? Ignition?
do i need to use the clutch damper?

Last edited by xduB95preludeSi; 07-21-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1995 Prelude Si H23a1 auto to manual conversion

your best bet is to either get a parts car or hit the junkyard and make multiple trips ...

for 1995 prelude (odb1) no you wont have any issues opening doors etc. theres no key chip security in the 4th gen.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by yohan
for 1995 prelude (odb1) no you wont have any issues opening doors etc. theres no key chip security in the 4th gen.
cool, thanks. i considered buying a parts car, however i don't think its necessary anymore as it seems i only need the transmission (and im already looking into some around me), the cable linkage, the hydraulic clutch lines, and a clutch kit (which im buying brand new online: exedy stage 1).
im finding accord shift linkage a lot easier than the prelude ones. does it matter which ones i buy? would 93 accord shift linkage cables work properly with the 4th gen prelude shifter and m2s4 transmission?
Old 07-23-2014, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xduB95preludeSi
what up guys. i have a decent looking 4th gen prelude and i have been dying to get it swapped to 5 spd. i have recently had a little extra money, so i'm grabbing some of the parts here and there. this is a list that i've been going by. the bold ones still need to be acquired:

Transmissions Assembly
Trans mounts-side
Engine Mount-rear (rear is optional-the rear auto mount will work)
Flywheel and bolts
Clutch Kit
Clutch Bolts
Clutch Master Cylinder + reservoir
*Clutch Slave Cylinder
*Clutch Dampener
*Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)
*Reverse Switch
*Hydrolic Lines
*5spd Starter

Clutch Pedal Assembly
Brake Pedal Assembly
Shifter Assembly
Shift linkage
5speed ECU
5spd Intermediate shaft (half-shaft)
Cotter Pins (assorted sizes)
Assorted Nuts and Bolts

can i get some insight on the parts i need. part numbers would be helpful for the clutch and brake pedal assemblies. is my list complete? meaning once i have everything listed above, all i need to pay for is labor.

Edit: if i get accord shift cables, will they work on any f or h series tranny i decide to go with? or do i need to buy the tranny and then get cables accordingly?
will using the new 5 spd ECU cause problems with the doors unlocking with the key? Ignition?
do i need to use the clutch damper?
I've got a 5spd tranny for the h23a1 with under 70k miles. Text me 415-987-0018. I'm in San Francisco, CA
Old 07-25-2014, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LudeAct
I've got a 5spd tranny for the h23a1 with under 70k miles. Text me 415-987-0018. I'm in San Francisco, CA
i am actually already getting one from someone around here. i live an hour north of san diego. thank you though.

i have some questions for the people willing to provide insight on the automatic to manual conversion of a 95 prelude. what bolts do i use to fasten the linkage to the shifter? and bolts for shifter to bolt to chasis? clutch pedal bolts? im buying the parts but no bolts have come with them. also, could i use axles from any 4th gen prelude? h22 or h23? i have the h23a1. same with half shaft. any suggestions on using the h23 prelude rywire clutch line for this project? using this would effectively eliminate the clutch dampener, correct? im thinking of buying this instead of searching for an old oem clutch line or buying a new one from the dealership. im using new clutch master and clutch slave cylinders. i'd like for the lines to be just as new.
as for bolting the tranny to the engine, i dont think my transmission is coming with those? so what would i need to do for this part? im not doing the swap myself but im trying to get every part to give to the mechanic. also, do i need to buy the 5 spd tranny mount? or is there a way to use the auto one?