Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2013/4 Honda Accord Sport opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013/4 Honda Accord Sport opinions?

Hi all. I'm new to the site and am in the market for a new car(keeping the used car option available as well). Currently got a 98 corolla that's still going strong but looking to upgrade. Almost pulled the trigger on a used 07 IS250 for $17k with fairly low miles however after reading about the carbon build up issues with the '06-10 IS250's on the lexus forums, i changed my mind(hope i made the right decision! )
I plan to look at several cars including the Honda Accord Sport. I like the styling on the Accord and the 18" rims is a nice touch. My only grip so far from reading about the car is the audio which only comes with 4 speakers with no available audio upgrade options. My Corolla has 4 speakers. lol. I know Honda had to cost cut somewhere to keep the price reasonable. For those who have the Accord Sport, what are your opinions on the audio system and have you done any mods to the audio to make it better? Any other grips about the Accord itself?
Old 04-01-2014, 07:32 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 2013/4 Honda Accord Sport opinions?

If the audio system is the only thing holding you back, don't. Audio system is upgradable.

Have you actually listen to the Sports audio? It's a 160w unit. That's not powerful but it may be an upgrade from your Corolla as I don't know the spec of that OEM radio.

Again 4 speakers means nothing. There are countless audio options available. My only advise is to not rush into it. Live with the OEM system for a while and see what you like and don't like. If you need to save up, it's worth it to get the system you want.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The Accord is a great car. Very comfortable, high quality, great gas milage. Ive honestly never noticed much of a problem with the factory audio system. If you wanted, you could always upgrade it but unless you want something that will rattle the windows, I cant see where youd feel the factory audio is lacking.
Worst case scenario, you could always have it upgraded through the aftermarket.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:32 AM
Old Member

Originally Posted by Bakemono36
I cant see where youd feel the factory audio is lacking.
160w is fine, but the EX-L have 360w + sub. That is a nice system.

Speaking from the 8th Gen Accord, I know some LX guys wish the OEM audio was "better," while most V6 EX-L guys are happy with their OEM audio.

It's like one of those things, once you get used to something, you can't go back.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GoLowDrew
160w is fine, but the EX-L have 360w + sub. That is a nice system.

Speaking from the 8th Gen Accord, I know some LX guys wish the OEM audio was "better," while most V6 EX-L guys are happy with their OEM audio.

It's like one of those things, once you get used to something, you can't go back.
I honestly cant tell much difference between either of them. Theres a bit of a difference, sure but not so much that I wouldnt buy anything less than an EX-L.
Im looking at getting an Accord Hybrid in the next year or 2 but if I werent going for the hybrid, Id most likely end up going with a Sport.
To me, the Sport is the perfect car. I dont like a lot of gadgets but also dont want a stripped down model, so the Sport is right in the sweet spot for me.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You said you aren't against used. Test drive an 09-12 Accord V6 6speed. Better audio, more features and FAST.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If the audio system is the only thing holding you back, don't. Audio system is upgradable.

Have you actually listen to the Sports audio? It's a 160w unit. That's not powerful but it may be an upgrade from your Corolla as I don't know the spec of that OEM radio.

Again 4 speakers means nothing. There are countless audio options available. My only advise is to not rush into it. Live with the OEM system for a while and see what you like and don't like. If you need to save up, it's worth it to get the system you want.
I haven't gone in to test drive the car so im just basing it off what i've read so far. I might have a different perception when i listen to it but wanted to get some initial reactions. I can always go the aftermarket route if it comes down to that.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by furious94ls
You said you aren't against used. Test drive an 09-12 Accord V6 6speed. Better audio, more features and FAST.
Not a big fan of the last generation Accords styling. If i go used, i'd probably look for entry level luxury such as a TSX or IS350. Like i mentioned in OP, was set on getting the IS250 until i read about the carbon buildup.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:15 AM
Old Member

Just wondering why you are suggesting 09-12? You mean 08?

BTW, you don't need 6speed manual to be fast. A V6 auto sedan can go from 0-60 in 6.5 sec. That's fast enough, no?
Old 04-02-2014, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not sure Id call ANY Accord, "fast". LOL

Originally Posted by patrickd
Not a big fan of the last generation Accords styling. If i go used, i'd probably look for entry level luxury such as a TSX or IS350. Like i mentioned in OP, was set on getting the IS250 until i read about the carbon buildup.
Honestly, the current gen and previous gen Accords dont look all that different. There is a difference but if you had them side by side, you wouldnt notice a huge difference.
If you want one with a V6, Id probably go with a used '12 or older but if you want a 4-cylinder, the '13 or newer with the new, Earth Dreams engine and CVT is the way to go.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just wondering why you are suggesting 09-12? You mean 08?

BTW, you don't need 6speed manual to be fast. A V6 auto sedan can go from 0-60 in 6.5 sec. That's fast enough, no?
Being as I have an 03 (first year) there were some quirks. Luckily all mine were taken care of and all is fine, but usually Honda has a few issues with first year model redesigns, so I omitted the 08. The Accord 6-6 is a completely different animal than the automatic version. The auto isn't geared for performance. Yes, they are quick for a daily driver car, but as an enthusiast it doesn't compare to the 6speed. Here are the ratios for the 03-07. The 08-12 have even better gearing for the MT

AT--------------------6MT
1st 2.564-----------3.933
2nd 1.552-----------2.478
3rd 1.022-----------1.700
4th 0.727----------- 1.250
5th 0.520----------- 0.976
6th--------------------0.771
FD 4.429-------------3.286

Originally Posted by Bakemono36
Not sure Id call ANY Accord, "fast". LOL
In stock form the V6 is quick. With intake/exhaust mods an 03-07 can put down 270whp untuned. Hondata reflash is now available for the 03-07 with a harness and TL ECU. Here is a vid of an 06 Accord 6-6 with some bolt ons beating an STI
Old 04-03-2014, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

man makes me wish I got a six speed. I have a exl 2014 v6 auto it's nice it picks up.and for the audio I feel like it could have been better.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For those who have the 2013/14 Accord, what other cars were you shopping against and/or test drive? and what made you end up choosing the Accord? For new cars, i was also going to look at the Altima, Optima.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:29 AM
Trial User

Instead of upgrading the OEM car radio I just bought a car adapter. Nowadays there are many good quality ones. For example I bought car adapter AUX Link almost one year ago. Really satisfied. Perfect sound, no technical problems so far. You can listen to music from any Apple device or connect any device with 3.5 mm jack (phone, mp3 player, laptop, tablet, etc). I was purchasing here AUX Car Kits. It's official store so they have lowest prices (at least when I was buying it) and free worldwide delivery. As for advantages of AUX Link, it can be also used as a charger and a hands-free kit. Moreover you can control the music using the buttons on the steering wheel or on the car acoustics system.
I had to spend more time than I was planning to install it, but finally it worked out well (I did the installation myself, but at any service center you can have it done in no time).So I recommend you to have a look at it and maybe it will another possible solution for you instead of upgrading the OEM car radio...
Old 04-04-2014, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by patrickd
For those who have the 2013/14 Accord, what other cars were you shopping against and/or test drive? and what made you end up choosing the Accord? For new cars, i was also going to look at the Altima, Optima.
I just recently bought a 13 v6 two door, I was fighting between the Genesis and a frs, I ultimately went with the accord, cause it came with the best features and power for the price and the stock audio system is pretty decent and I have the ex-l
Old 04-06-2014, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got it cause I told my girl I'll take a break from racing and buy her a car. Don't regret it ,it's a nice car
Old 06-13-2014, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the rear speakers on the sport models really do suck lol the fronts are fine. I'm thinking of just switching out the rear speakers to see how it sounds..dont want to go as far as getting an amp or anything.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:39 AM
Old Member

That's a good idea. I have not look at the area, but you can fit a larger rear speaker in the rear. And hear an improvement. You don't necessarily need to get the best speakers. Check the output so it's comparable with the OEM radio.

However, I would do the front 2 by the door too. In fact, most of the time, I would suggest only replacing the front, because I sit up front. And adjust my settings to be front bias. That's just me.

As long as I hear it. Hear it near me. Loud and clear, it's good to me. Having it "balance" in the car does not appeal to me. Again, that's just me.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:38 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by SamTech1
Instead of upgrading the OEM car radio I just bought a car adapter. Nowadays there are many good quality ones. For example I bought car adapter AUX Link almost one year ago. Really satisfied. Perfect sound, no technical problems so far. You can listen to music from any Apple device or connect any device with 3.5 mm jack (phone, mp3 player, laptop, tablet, etc). I was purchasing here AUX Car Kits. It's official store so they have lowest prices (at least when I was buying it) and free worldwide delivery. As for advantages of AUX Link, it can be also used as a charger and a hands-free kit. Moreover you can control the music using the buttons on the steering wheel or on the car acoustics system.
I had to spend more time than I was planning to install it, but finally it worked out well (I did the installation myself, but at any service center you can have it done in no time).So I recommend you to have a look at it and maybe it will another possible solution for you instead of upgrading the OEM car radio...
Guys, just wanted to tell you about my personal experience. In the end took the decision to buy AUX Link car adapter. Compared all the prices and it's really cheaper to buy it at the official website AUX Car Kits. It was delivered in just five days. At first I tried to install it on my own, but had troubles extracting the OEM head unit. So finally I had it installed in the nearest auto workshop. It took around 15 minutes. So far totally satisfied with the purchase.

Advantages:

- great sound
- can be used as a charger
- with Bluetooth dongle can be used as a hands-free kit
- music control with steering wheel buttons and buttons on the car head unit (very convenient)
- read all music formats
- compatible with my Apple gadgets, but there is also a plug for other mobile devices
- delivery is free and fast
- takes very little space and doesn't spoil the interior
- now I can listen to all my favourite songs without carrying piles of CDs.

Disadvantages:

- relatively expensive as I also purchased additional Bluetooth dongle
- could't easily take out the car stereo so had to go to service center

But taking everything into account, I believe it's a good price-quality ratio. So from my point of view it's worth it.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just bought an Accord Sport 4door 6 speed manual to replace my 2002 Accord LX, very happy with it $23.3K with tax,out the door. Excellent value but the sound isn't great, but that is fine, can upgrade later
Old 07-22-2014, 05:27 PM
Trial User

I got a 2012 Accord The stereo is amazing The bass is just awesome!
Old 07-24-2014, 01:04 PM
Trial User

I just bought a 2014 Accord Sport CVT. I was coming from a highly modified 2011 GTI, so my experience may be different from yours. Overall, I think the Accord is a good car for what it is; a reliable, safe, family sedan. For the price, it has lots of value. And with the end of the model year and month here, you can get it easily for 1.5 - 2k below invoice.

I'll just repeat what I wrote before about this car. My advice is to read the negatives, and test drive the car to see if it's ok with you. Good luck.

Interior / Exterior Features

The closest thing I've had to a Honda before is a 2008 Acura TL. After that it's been Volkswagen's. That being said, I was generally impressed with the build quality and materials.

For being one step above a base model, here are the things I was pleasantly surprised by. Large infotainment screen with active back up camera. Dual automatic climate control. 10 way power seat. Functional storage spaces. Cable channels for USB and DC ports. Auto on/off headlights. Nice clear instrument cluster. Good visibility especially with the large side mirrors.

There are also a few things I wasn't so happy with. The steering wheel is very thin and small. The trunk is huge, but it has a weird funnel shape that makes the rear seat back opening almost non functional. The rear seat backs fold in one piece, and as far as I can tell can only be unlocked from inside the trunk. Trunk has no handle or unlocking switch. I'm fine with the seats, but my wife finds the forward tilted headrests uncomfortable. The console arm rest is not adjustable. The side mirrors fold in a weird angle, making folding and unfolding difficult. Key doesn't fold, so it's awkward in your pocket. Everything else is features that may be available in higher trim levels like hood struts, keyless, seat warmers, etc.

The size of the car is good and bad. It's easily the longest car I've ever had. The fact they shrunk this car 3 inches from the previous generation amazes me. This car is even longer than my Passat wagon. This translates to Town Car like rear seats, but makes maneuvering in tight spaces somewhat difficult.

Performance

Engine accelerates at a decent pace for this class of car. For normal driving it is more than adequate. CVT transmission is quite good compared to others and is almost indiscernible with most automatics. Sport mode and paddle shifters help. However engine noise on acceleration is very loud. Not the good loud either.

The direct ignition on this car has a distinctive clicking that exists in all engines of this type. What bothers me about the Accord however, is that they do a really poor job in insulating that noise out. From outside the car or even inside with the windows down, be prepared to feel like you're shaking a box of tic tacs next to your head.

Brake feel is surprisingly good. The brakes actually feel grippier than my previous GTI's. No complaints on braking.

Steering is one of those subjective things. If you're used to driving most German brands (except some MB's), you'll find the electronic steering in the Accord a little loose and artificial. If you're used to driving a Camry, then you'll find it responsive. I found it wasn't bad, but it didn't make me feel very confident either.

For a family sedan, this car is rather loud. Wind noise at highway speeds almost feels like the windows aren't fully closed. Road noise is not terrible, but nothing to brag about. Ride quality again is harsh for this class. Comparing other family sedans at this price point like the Passat, or even the Camry, and the Accord is undeniably loud.

Overall, this car excels at nothing. But the key is that it doesn't suck at anything either. If past history proves true, then it's near bulletproof (fingers crossed on direct ignition and cvt). And it has one of the highest safety ratings in any class.

The psychological effect alone of knowing this car will start every day and be safe for me and my family for years to come is worth any negatives.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:21 PM
Old Member

Originally Posted by turtlejames
The psychological effect alone of knowing this car will start every day and be safe for me and my family for years to come is worth any negatives.
Good review. I often like to read "reviews" from guys like us. I understood exactly what you mean. Often times, those expert reviews don't pan out much.

But this quote above often gets overlooked in this forum. Especially as we age and have family and kids.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:16 PM
I said I don't want a title!

Originally Posted by turtlejames
I just bought a 2014 Accord Sport CVT. I was coming from a highly modified 2011 GTI, so my experience may be different from yours. Overall, I think the Accord is a good car for what it is; a reliable, safe, family sedan. For the price, it has lots of value. And with the end of the model year and month here, you can get it easily for 1.5 - 2k below invoice.

I'll just repeat what I wrote before about this car. My advice is to read the negatives, and test drive the car to see if it's ok with you. Good luck.

Interior / Exterior Features

The closest thing I've had to a Honda before is a 2008 Acura TL. After that it's been Volkswagen's. That being said, I was generally impressed with the build quality and materials.

For being one step above a base model, here are the things I was pleasantly surprised by. Large infotainment screen with active back up camera. Dual automatic climate control. 10 way power seat. Functional storage spaces. Cable channels for USB and DC ports. Auto on/off headlights. Nice clear instrument cluster. Good visibility especially with the large side mirrors.

There are also a few things I wasn't so happy with. The steering wheel is very thin and small. The trunk is huge, but it has a weird funnel shape that makes the rear seat back opening almost non functional. The rear seat backs fold in one piece, and as far as I can tell can only be unlocked from inside the trunk. Trunk has no handle or unlocking switch. I'm fine with the seats, but my wife finds the forward tilted headrests uncomfortable. The console arm rest is not adjustable. The side mirrors fold in a weird angle, making folding and unfolding difficult. Key doesn't fold, so it's awkward in your pocket. Everything else is features that may be available in higher trim levels like hood struts, keyless, seat warmers, etc.

The size of the car is good and bad. It's easily the longest car I've ever had. The fact they shrunk this car 3 inches from the previous generation amazes me. This car is even longer than my Passat wagon. This translates to Town Car like rear seats, but makes maneuvering in tight spaces somewhat difficult.

Performance

Engine accelerates at a decent pace for this class of car. For normal driving it is more than adequate. CVT transmission is quite good compared to others and is almost indiscernible with most automatics. Sport mode and paddle shifters help. However engine noise on acceleration is very loud. Not the good loud either.

The direct ignition on this car has a distinctive clicking that exists in all engines of this type. What bothers me about the Accord however, is that they do a really poor job in insulating that noise out. From outside the car or even inside with the windows down, be prepared to feel like you're shaking a box of tic tacs next to your head.

Brake feel is surprisingly good. The brakes actually feel grippier than my previous GTI's. No complaints on braking.

Steering is one of those subjective things. If you're used to driving most German brands (except some MB's), you'll find the electronic steering in the Accord a little loose and artificial. If you're used to driving a Camry, then you'll find it responsive. I found it wasn't bad, but it didn't make me feel very confident either.

For a family sedan, this car is rather loud. Wind noise at highway speeds almost feels like the windows aren't fully closed. Road noise is not terrible, but nothing to brag about. Ride quality again is harsh for this class. Comparing other family sedans at this price point like the Passat, or even the Camry, and the Accord is undeniably loud.

Overall, this car excels at nothing. But the key is that it doesn't suck at anything either. If past history proves true, then it's near bulletproof (fingers crossed on direct ignition and cvt). And it has one of the highest safety ratings in any class.

Except for the CVT stuff, you just described almost every Honda being made today. That's why they sell so well still. And for enthusiasts, that and the fact that the motors and chassis are excellent and it doesn't take much to make them more fun.