Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

[Civic EJ6] Full Restoration Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 [Civic EJ6] Full Restoration Project

Hi guys,

I'm opening this topic to get opinions on my restoration project. Let me start by introducing my 6th Gen Coupe:

CURRENT SETUP

1997 Civic Coupe // 160,000 miles

- Stock D16Y7 engine
- D16Y8 intake manifold
- Stock air box with K&N filter
- Lightwheight flywheel (unknown brand)
- eBay 4-1 exhaust manifold
- SRS G55 exhaust with eBay twin loop silencer
- Stock suspension with short springs
- Front and rear strut bars
- Stock brakes

Overall impressions:

I bought the car with this setup and only worked on the aesthetics and basic maintenance so far. A guy I know was running an almost identical setup on his Coupe and had 123bhp... so I assume mine is close to that.

As a whole, the car runs pretty good for its mileage. However there are flaws that are either due to parts wearing out, and/or no-so-great mods done by the previous owner. The main problem being that it burns oil, apparently due to worn out piston rings. After driving my Civic on the track, I can also say the handling could benefit some improvements (suspensions get squeezed under the weight of the car in corners, stock brakes are too weak) but that is no surprise.

THE PROJECT

My first idea was to only repair the leak. But I love this car and want to keep it for a while. So my project is to bring it back to perfect mechanical shape + a few improvements. Here's the plan:

Engine & Transmission
- Rebuilt D16Y7 + D16Y8 head: replacement of all gaskets, bearings, piston rings, cylinder and head machining, etc.
- ECU tuning
- Stage 2 lightwheight flywheel + engine balancing
- Stage 2 clutch (Exedy, ACT...)
- S20 gearbox with 4.437 FD + S40 5th gear

Handling
- Tein Superstreet coilovers
- LSD (depending on cost)
- Reinforced suspension bushings (Energy, Hard Race...)
- ITR mastervac and master cylinder
- Grooved front discs/sport brake pads/new brake shoes
- Aircraft-type braided hoses

Monitoring
- Zenky oil temp/oil press/water temp manometers

I'll keep using the car as my daily driver, with occasional track days. I don't care about being fast as long as I have fun behind the wheel. Therefore, as much as I'd love to drive a turbo car, I'll wait until I can get a Silvia, or even better, a Supra. The point of this project is also to learn. As a beginner, working on a build like this by myself will already be a good challenge !

Feel free to comment, I'm there to get your opinions and am open to any suggestions.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [Civic EJ6] Full Restoration Project

UP !

No one willing to give me some feedback on this ?
Old 08-27-2013, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes I will....B or k swap it ! don't spend money rebuilding a y7 NO WAY IN HELL you have 123bhp the y7 has 106hp(not whp) from the factory. Your y8 mani plus exhaust and filter won't net you that at all be glad if you have 106whp. if you're set on the y7 you could turbo it for around the same cost of a gsr swap give or take as for suspension Koni/GC will be better suited then some springs on stock shocks putting a big BMC on a DX is pointless and you'll be locking the brakes up with normal pressure applied braided lines are more for show imo. LSD ? on a stock Y7 tranny ? that'll probably cost you more then another y7 would lol. does look like a fairly clean car tho would ditch the rims but in short don't wast you money trying to go all motor on a non-vtec D series
Old 08-27-2013, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks like a good platform.. check out the FAQ.. there are some good ideas in there and tips.. i have learned a lot from just a night of browsing through there and reading.. good luck!
Old 08-27-2013, 06:19 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ask a tech question. Not start an opinion poll. This isn't the forum for getting your ego stroked. And WTH do you need anything but an OEM replacement clutch for? To say you have a "Stage something" clutch? Rebuild a Y7? Balance a Y7? Are you kidding me? And you can tune an OBD2 ECU? An LSD? For what? ITR master cylinder? For what? Gauges? For what? 123BHP? Pffffft!
Old 08-27-2013, 06:39 PM
tyb
Honda-Tech Member

go b16a2 turbo
if u need CARB legal use the edelbrock # 1501
nice build good luck
if u do go the b16a2 turbo route buy ur motor from hmo theyre great ppl

anyways good build

have fun

Last edited by Former User; 08-28-2013 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Limit your comments on tech and the OP
Old 08-27-2013, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why should he use a b16 when a GSR is a better platform for boost ? b16's are over rated you get 2-4 more ftlbs of torque then a d16 . He asked for input so ppl gave it a stock y7 with a lsd is ridicules same with the fact that he thinks he has an all motor y7 with 123whp
Old 08-28-2013, 06:14 AM
tyb
Honda-Tech Member

the gsr isnt intended for dd.
a b16 sees serious gains with a turbo kit while it takes a lot more $$$ to see the same gains on a gsr
just sayin
Old 08-28-2013, 06:19 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Originally Posted by tyb

go b16a2 turbo
if u need CARB legal use the edelbrock # 1501
nice build good luck
if u do go the b16a2 turbo route buy ur motor from hmo theyre great ppl
dont mind the flaming whatever u do will get u s*** on this site i'm an expert on that :/

anyways good build

have fun
Originally Posted by tyb
a b16 sees serious gains with a turbo kit while it takes a lot more $$$ to see the same gains on a gsr
just sayin

OP, whatever you choose to do, do not listen to this^. Click the links in Grumbles signature and read the FAQs.

Last edited by Former User; 08-28-2013 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Thread clean up
Old 08-28-2013, 06:53 AM
tyb
Honda-Tech Member

do as u plz
its a free country
their setups are.
its not misinformation
for a b16 with a turbo kit it is retailed at 7500
for a gsr with a turbo kit it is retailed at 9500
~8000>~10000
and MAYBE just MAYBE a 30hp/20ft/lbs difference
take your pic 8 or 10

all im sayin one is cheaper than the other and is maybe a 30-40 hp difference... thats 33 dollars per hp for the retail b16 with turbo kit and 36 dollars per hp for the retail gsr with turbo kit
240whp boosted on a b16 is scary fast
270whp on a boosted gsr is scary fast
both are scary fast but one is 2000 dollars less

Last edited by Former User; 08-28-2013 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Clean up
Old 08-28-2013, 06:58 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Originally Posted by tyb
do as u plz
its a free country
their setups are.
its not misinformation
for a b16 with a turbo kit it is retailed at 7500
for a gsr with a turbo kit it is retailed at 9500
~8000>~10000
and MAYBE just MAYBE a 30hp/20ft/lbs difference
take your pic 8 or 10

all im sayin one is cheaper than the other and is maybe a 30-40 hp difference... thats 33 dollars per hp for the retail b16 with turbo kit and 36 dollars per hp for the retail gsr with turbo kit
240whp boosted on a b16 is scary fast
270whp on a boosted gsr is scary fast
both are scary fast but one is 2000 dollars less

Last edited by Former User; 08-28-2013 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Clean up
Old 08-28-2013, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

TYB:

Everything that you are saying is 100% nonfactual, hearsay nonsense.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:12 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

How about if you don't know or aren't sure then don't say anything? You keep doing it and we flame. Kinda like a warning with sirens and flashing red lights to anyone who reads your responses to avoid your advice at all costs.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tyb
just sayin
Just asking why a B16 isn't intended for a dd ? I drive my B16 every day P28 chipped an competition clutch, not the most easiest but I do it. But I respect other gearheads advice and experience, so what do ya think?
Old 08-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

He doesn't know what he's talking about lol I drove my high comp GSR with tuner 3 cams as a DD for the summer may-mid august. Never gave me problems beat on it plenty still loves me lol.

Good meme usage
Old 08-29-2013, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When I said bhp I meant bench-proven engine horsepower, not that it was putting these 123hp to the wheels. I wish such a cheap setup could achieve that tho lol. Sorry about the confusion.

I was expecting turbo or B/K series swap suggestions. The usual no-brainer here in France is to swap for a B16, with more exceptionnal builds including B18's or K20's. I'd rather boost than swap tho, but that's not the point since I don't aim at making this car fast. I'll buy and build another car for that.

As for suspension Koni/GC will be better suited then some springs on stock shocks
Agreed, short springs are ****, they worn out the shocks and suck in corners, which is where I actually want the car to be good.

Putting a big BMC on a DX is pointless and you'll be locking the brakes up with normal pressure applied
So in your opinion it'd make the braking too strong ? I've been told replacing rear drums by discs and calipers was a good upgrade too.

Braided lines are more for show imo.
I can get them for a good price through a friend. According to him the biggest benefit is that it avoids brake fading. Since I'll sometimes go to the track I found it was nice addition to my setup.

LSD ? on a stock Y7 tranny ? that'll probably cost you more then another y7 would lol.
Hence the "depending on cost". I've looked a Quaife LSDs and cried since then lol. Still need to look at other brands but I'm not planning to throw tons of money for one.
Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Ask a tech question. Not start an opinion poll. This isn't the forum for getting your ego stroked. And WTH do you need anything but an OEM replacement clutch for? To say you have a "Stage something" clutch? Rebuild a Y7? Balance a Y7? Are you kidding me? And you can tune an OBD2 ECU? An LSD? For what? ITR master cylinder? For what? Gauges? For what? 123BHP? Pffffft!
I'm not trying to get my ego stroked lol. I know you guys have a different way of building a car than we do in France so I thought it'd be interesting to get your feedbacks on my project.

I already have an OEM clutch, it's much too smooth for me, stage 1 is said to be close to OEM, so I thought stage 2 would suit me better. I'm not a kid trying to impress anyone, I just want to tune the car to my liking.

And no, I'm not kidding with that rebuild, it will be done, and done well. Why would I do that to a Y7 ? Well, why wouldn't I ? Go ahead and tell me. But keep in mind what the car will be used for.

Why a LSD ? Better cornering. I did say it'd depend on the cost tho. Why an ITR MC ? Better braking. Stock braking sucks. Why gauges ? To know if there's anything wrong with the engine right away. I don't want that **** to blow up on me after all the time I'll have put into it.