Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Window Motor vs. Window Run Channel

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Window Motor vs. Window Run Channel

My window has been acting up for some time now. Sometimes it will go up and down at the normal speed (usually in decent weather - not too hot, not too cold). Other times, it will bind badly at the bottom of the track, but only coming up. Sometimes it will act as if it's not going to come up at all - I have to pull upward on the window to get it started, and it will go from there.

I'm trying to figure out if it's the window run or the motor itself. I replaced the motor when I first got the vehicle in September, but it was a used motor. When I tested it before buying it, it worked up and down FAST. In my car, though, it goes fairly slow. I have greased the window runs with white lithium, and this helps for a few days, but makes a mess and quickly goes back to how it was.

I don't want to drop the ~$40 on the window run unless I can be sure that's the problem. I've taken off the door panel and run my fingers up and down the channel to see if I can find any binds or bad spots, which I didn't.

Any way to tell it's one or the other, for sure? Thanks for any insight. And I did the window channel adjustment that is in the FAQ, and it seemed to help initially but quickly went back to doing the same old thing. When the window is all the way down, the rear corner is not completely flush with the bottom of the door panel (there is a bit of the edge of the glass sticking out, as if it is slightly tilted when it's all the way down).