Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car jerking

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car jerking

What's up everyone. I have been recently experiencing a strange problem with my car. I will be listening to music with my phone plugged into the aux port and sometime while I'm in gear, (1st/3rd) the car will stop or kinda jerk and the music will shut off momentarily and then the car will drive normally and the music will continue. I would also like to add the fact that one time I was going about 60mph and I had to stop quickly so I pushed hard on the brake and I slowed down very quickly and the car shut off and the lights all lit up like it does before you start the car. Any ideas? thanks in advance
Old 03-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car jerking

Well, depending on the car (please list make, model, year), you could be having vacuum/fuel issues (stomping on the brakes draws vacuum from the motor and could stall it if your fuel/air system is pretty dirty or your idle is adjusted too low).

You could also be having ignition issues with your sound system drawing too much power and your alternator (likely getting up there in age if it's the original) may not be up to handling the increased load, putting a higher strain on your battery, and killing your ignition.

Could also be a bad ignition coil causing you to stall out as well (or you could just be really overdue for a tune-up).

Could also have something to do with your trans putting too much load/drag on the engine, but I don't know enough about manual trannies to make that sorta call.

Some things to do, in order of general cost:

Check:
Idle Air Speed

Test:
Battery
Ignition coil
Alternator

Clean:
Fuel system/intake (with Seafoam or the like)

Replace:
Fuel Filter
Spark Plugs/Wires, distributor cap and rotor, ignition coil (if all the above don't make a difference)
O2 sensors (though these will usually throw a code if they go bad...may just need to be cleaned off)

If all else fails, the problem might lie in a bad electrical ground or in the transmission...or possibly the timing of the engine itself.

Good luck!
Old 03-18-2013, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Texas4door
Well, depending on the car (please list make, model, year), you could be having vacuum/fuel issues (stomping on the brakes draws vacuum from the motor and could stall it if your fuel/air system is pretty dirty or your idle is adjusted too low).

You could also be having ignition issues with your sound system drawing too much power and your alternator (likely getting up there in age if it's the original) may not be up to handling the increased load, putting a higher strain on your battery, and killing your ignition.

Could also be a bad ignition coil causing you to stall out as well (or you could just be really overdue for a tune-up).

Could also have something to do with your trans putting too much load/drag on the engine, but I don't know enough about manual trannies to make that sorta call.

Some things to do, in order of general cost:

Check:
Idle Air Speed

Test:
Battery
Ignition coil
Alternator

Clean:
Fuel system/intake (with Seafoam or the like)

Replace:
Fuel Filter
Spark Plugs/Wires, distributor cap and rotor, ignition coil (if all the above don't make a difference)
O2 sensors (though these will usually throw a code if they go bad...may just need to be cleaned off)

If all else fails, the problem might lie in a bad electrical ground or in the transmission...or possibly the timing of the engine itself.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. I have a 93, CX, stick shift with 162k on her. I recently changed the distributor cap and rotor(I think i replaced the rotor), fuel pump, fuel filter & air filter. It does kinda idle low and my coil is kinda burnt up according to a honda mechanic, but could thoes really be causing the problem? its not my belt slipping or something? maybe alternator? how to test it?
Old 03-18-2013, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alternator should put out about 12.5-12.7ish @ idle. Approx 1200-1500rpm should put out 13.2-13.4ish. Volts w/multimeter. Any lower will cause ign issues @ idle. IF your system IS pulling too hard think about bigger amp alternator or secondary battery.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by S2BumpsticksGSR
Alternator should put out about 12.5-12.7ish @ idle. Approx 1200-1500rpm should put out 13.2-13.4ish. Volts w/multimeter. Any lower will cause ign issues @ idle. IF your system IS pulling too hard think about bigger amp alternator or secondary battery.
Ok, I don't have any amps or subs hookup up to the car though so I don't know why the stereo would draw power from the cars normal function.