Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

A wrecked turbo civic breathes new life into an Integra - Re-Build Thread -

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A wrecked turbo civic breathes new life into an Integra - Re-Build Thread -

Swapping the motor from my wrecked civic into my Integra in my driveway without air tools. The day after the swap I drove it to upstate new york. Almost ready to put the turbo on again...

Here's the gallery on Imgur with a bunch more pics:

http://imgur.com/a/QopMn

Name:  96L7YZj.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  450.5 KB

Name:  VpEiKRL.jpg
Size:  528.0 KB

Name:  ksBTnZ6.jpg
Size:  573.2 KB

Name:  v5k3bBT.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  477.1 KB

Name:  i9gozsG.jpg
Size:  605.1 KB

Name:  q6LG44p.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  532.8 KB

Name:  1ESh5Wp.jpg
Size:  601.4 KB

Name:  KoYnrYp.jpg
Size:  615.1 KB

Name:  OKyPxfB.jpg
Size:  617.4 KB

Name:  LFHg1Wo.jpg
Size:  708.7 KB

Name:  SsORR7r.jpg
Size:  727.4 KB

Name:  VXDvZTb.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  356.3 KB

Name:  DKyjyip.jpg
Size:  720.0 KB

Name:  zQZfVFM.jpg
Size:  631.6 KB

Name:  CFVKbGo.jpg
Size:  352.2 KB

Name:  7QWqJoD.jpg
Size:  358.8 KB

Name:  RJLHiz7.jpg
Size:  322.3 KB

Name:  efkLICf.jpg
Size:  390.3 KB

Name:  9aEmSnr.jpg
Size:  398.4 KB

and this it now... No turbo yet, I just got fired and I am having trouble scrounging up the cash.

Name:  5n2jaaq.jpg
Size:  404.7 KB

Name:  RQnhqrW.jpg
Size:  579.6 KB

Name:  ZUeb83R.jpg
Size:  437.9 KB

Name:  bjHZC8Z.jpg
Size:  546.8 KB

Name:  C03dHWQ.jpg
Size:  576.6 KB

What do you think?
Old 03-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A wrecked turbo civic breathes new life into an Integra - Re-Build Thread -

God damn that's what I call getting it done. Swapping engines in the middle of a street. Lol

I have to wonder what your neighbors were thinking.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A wrecked turbo civic breathes new life into an Integra - Re-Build Thread -

Originally Posted by 1998GsRIntegra
God damn that's what I call getting it done. Swapping engines in the middle of a street. Lol

I have to wonder what your neighbors were thinking.
They already know I am special. Hehehe, I would rock slow wheelies and endo's on my caged out 600 when I was like 17-18 in front of that house.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Best of luck to you ! im liking the work in the street pics that's dedication.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks pretty sweet haha no power tools is the way to go imo thats how I put the 350 in my nova lol
Old 03-07-2013, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys, My intercooler Just got finished by the Steve Bradley @ Brad Fab Industries. So, I will be posting picks of the car all turboed out shortly.

Here are some stats:

No dyno tuning done....

Bosh 1000cc injectors
skunk2 IM
Crower turbo cams stage 3
stage 3 act 6 puck
lsd y80 (12 bolt)
gt3076r?
treadstone A/C and P/S manifold
greddy wastegate
greddy type-s bov
aem fuel rail and FPR
twin warlboro 255's
progress suspension
BWR lca's
goodridge SS brake and clutch lines
ABS delete
All strut and chassis braces
Hondata S300v2 with PWM setup with a MAC solenoid for boost by gear
Hondata map
Built and sleeved motor
AEM Wideband 02

Was operating as a daily driver on 93 @ 28lbs

Can I get a HP estimate? I was thinking around 400 like low to mid.

The tune is spot on, almost god like.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TurboEG600
What's up with the rear brake line routing?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is that bad? I know I need to re-run the front around strut, but the back won't route through the original path without rubbing on that fork from the strut. any suggestions?
Old 03-07-2013, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Generally speaking, the brake lines should be routed so they clear everything that moves. That includes the wheel, wheel well, and any other suspension components.

With how your rear brake line is routed, as the suspension moves up and down, the brake line will rub against the strut and/or lower control arm. Depending on what wears down, if it's the brake line that wears, you'll eventually get a brake failure.

Your front struts should have mounting points for the brake lines. Based on the pictures, yours don't. That's the same as my H&R's. What I did was just zip tie the brake line to the bottom of the strut, just above the fork. I made sure to position the brake line so it cleared the wheel well and the wheel, taking into consideration suspension movement. It wasn't the best setup, but short of buying new coilovers, it was the best option.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am thinking autozone has the solution. Those rubber covered metal tabs for holding wires/hose. I just had to get all that brake stuff finished up for the day, and didnt have time to run to AZ. I know the lines are free of bind and pinch at the moment, So, i need to get it done soon but not immediately unless I am missing something. I was going to wait until I put the turbo on,probably next week or so.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:15 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

LOL, that is one banged up oil pan. 94
Old 03-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, Also when the turbo goes back on, I am going to have Steve @ Brad Fab Industries bang it out and weld it back up so its leak free too.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope you plan on having the turbo re-balanced.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am thinking autozone has the solution. Those rubber covered metal tabs for holding wires/hose. I just had to get all that brake stuff finished up for the day, and didnt have time to run to AZ. I know the lines are free of bind and pinch at the moment, So, i need to get it done soon but not immediately unless I am missing something. I was going to wait until I put the turbo on,probably next week or so.
Pull the miscellaneous stuff off the civic. I'd be willing to bet it'll fit.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha the photo of your putting in work on the street is priceless!!
Nice dedication right there
Old 03-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice. i like that you pulled the motor out in the street lol.

good ****
Old 03-07-2013, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's boss how you just swapped the engine is the road. How hard was the swap without air tools? I was thinking about tackling it without air too simply because I don't want to leave my car at my buddy's shop.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DirtyDA9
I hope you plan on having the turbo re-balanced.
Nope, that turbo Has about 7-8k miles on it after the rebuild in the photos. I marked the turbine shaft So I didn't have to re-balance. Turbo still looks great and the bearings are prefect.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wait, you people have air tools?
****, I've done every bit of work on my car without any air tools. Just a ton of wrenches and screw drivers and ****.

First time I pulled my engine to put a new one in, i spent 6 hours a day for 2 days doing it ALONE, and that's only cause I took my time

But I had an engine hoist lol.

Seriously though, I don't see the point of air tools unless you gotta do **** FAST. I don't own any fancy stuff like that

Sucks to see the civic dead, but props for swapping it in the damn street like that!
Old 03-08-2013, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damb i thought i was crazy for pulling my tranny out in my driveway!! hahaha thats what you call dedication! nice work!
Old 03-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by m4xwellmurd3r
Wait, you people have air tools?
****, I've done every bit of work on my car without any air tools. Just a ton of wrenches and screw drivers and ****.

First time I pulled my engine to put a new one in, i spent 6 hours a day for 2 days doing it ALONE, and that's only cause I took my time

But I had an engine hoist lol.

Seriously though, I don't see the point of air tools unless you gotta do **** FAST. I don't own any fancy stuff like that

Sucks to see the civic dead, but props for swapping it in the damn street like that!
Hahaha, Good man. I prefer going hand, but when i don't pick up an air tool or a torque wrench strange looks get thrown my way. I mean people torque everything down to lug nuts an ball joints.. sigh, If you do most everything by hand and you are pretty intelligible your hands become pretty precise, especially if you have frequently been able to feel out how much torque your are applying via torque wrench. I would never build an engine this way just saying in general. If i had air I would have only used it for a handful of things.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here are some more pics of the intercooler repaired and some new part I acquired.

Brad Fab Industries did a great job on the intercooler.

http://imgur.com/a/a5Xey#0

Name:  AR97MUV.jpg
Size:  497.0 KB

Name:  uYaUIsr.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  659.5 KB

Name:  LqOyYjv.jpg
Size:  500.9 KB

Name:  PsPdoHM.jpg
Size:  639.1 KB
Old 03-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hahaha, Good man. I prefer going hand, but when i don't pick up an air tool or a torque wrench strange looks get thrown my way. I mean people torque everything down to lug nuts an ball joints.. sigh, If you do most everything by hand and you are pretty intelligible your hands become pretty precise, especially if you have frequently been able to feel out how much torque your are applying via torque wrench. I would never build an engine this way just saying in general. If i had air I would have only used it for a handful of things.
The only thing I've ever used a torque wrench on is my head studs and cam bolts. But I feel that totally requires the extra precision.

But yeah, the more I work on my car the more I tend to find the right torque for everything.

Though I recently found out the tensioner bolt requires 40ftlbs and with my 1/2in socket wrench, it's a bit more than I expected.

Speaking of precision, I've had to do a valve adjustment 3 times this weekend to find the right lash setting for my cams, It's to the point where I can use my feeler gauge for one rocker, then feel the rocker play to get the others set. I was surprised that I was able to get the lash adjustment perfect most of the time just by feeling the play in one known correct rocker.

Dude, they did an AWESOME job on that IC. It looks good as new.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice job looks old school
Old 03-19-2013, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://i.imgur.com/96L7YZj.jpg 376 east?

Quick Reply: A wrecked turbo civic breathes new life into an Integra - Re-Build Thread -