Dog box whitch one the best /witch one the worst

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dog box whitch one the best /witch one the worst

Our race car need a gearset its gone run around 900whp
Im not sure witch one to chose
So im guessing everyone would enjoy know personal experiences of other racer who already use it

I have work with liberty witch is not bad except when you need few spare part

I would like to know your opinion on this

Part availability
Longetivity
Custumer suport
Price

Thank in advance for all your advice

Last edited by enrike; 12-13-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dog box whitch one the best /witch one the worst

B series experience first.

ALBINS is the best in my experience worth every dollar.

PPG is also great, the only things I broke on the PPG was the ring and pinion.

Liberty has its place and is hit or miss, on small tire stuff it stays together fairly well. Hard people to deal with from time to time and alot of people have trouble getting parts in "crunch" times.

G-Force is horrible, everything breaks, the fit and finish is horrible. Nice people but their transmission sucks. Their parts are always readily avaialable which is nice but you seem to need them way to often.

K series stuff,

I only have experience with the PPG and frana. I havent seen any issues with the ppg boxes at all, great units.

Frana, well they are the gforce of the k series stuff

Albins seems to work great for SF but I have 0 experience.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks its a b series
Thi is the kind of comment i was looking for thank you
Old 12-13-2012, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

More please
Old 12-13-2012, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From what i have seen Gforce and Liberty arent to far apart they both break period. I have heard people have trouble getting parts for liberty. Gforce you can usually get them in a few days. Gforce's main issue is the harding is not hard at all dogs round off way to easy. Dont believe the hype that they last 1 million passes its not true.

If you have the coin ppg and from what im hearing albins are good but pricey. Also you have to see who offers the gearing you need for the type of racing your doing.

I have been running a G Force but wont be this coming season. As i have been offered another option. So mine may be up for sale soon.

For the money and parts availability G Force is tough to beat for small tire stuff though. But you will be replacing 2nd every 25 passes or so
Old 12-13-2012, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My friend has beat and abused the living hell out of his ppg in a b-series 700 whp and everything is great.

I broke pretty much every liberty transmission and another local with a 450 hp t3/t4 57 trim special broke 4th in his liberty transmission on a 24.5 tire running 10.40s

I will not spend any more $ on liberty stuff. If I were to do it again at the 800-900 whp level. I'd pay the coin for a PPG.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the liberty and got 75 passes (165+MPH) this year befor i wore out the 3 and 4 slider engagment and it cost about $100 bucks to replace. The tranny worked good, we had an issue with gears that broke but it was caused by a magnet that fell inside the tranny , a part the liberty supplied me with. They replaced the gears for me.

Ill be using that tranny again and for the price i got another full Liberty tranny as a spare, they are slow at getting parts out the door! I use the full liberty gears the newer stuff and bell housing!
Old 12-14-2012, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea liberty KILLS me with how they stock and prepare parts. They have actually redesigned their countershaft base with a new bearing instead of the factory needle bearing. The factory bearing was digging into the base of the counter shaft so they use a new bearing now with an inner race to prevent that and prevent seperating. My countershaft is about to be replaced due to this.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone out there running a ppg doxbox for an H-series? I been looking into it for next season (fresh track build from scratch) and have been told to convert to a b or k series tranny (ppg). I read a previous thread for Bull Head Gears but i was just wondering
what you H-guys are running.
I dont have any specs yet (just trying to gather some info and opinions)

(https://honda-tech.com/forums/drag-racing-36/anyone-intrested-dog-box-h-series-bull-head-2400732/)
Old 12-14-2012, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by miller
B series experience first.

ALBINS is the best in my experience worth every dollar.

What makes the albins better? Im shopping around for a dogbox as well and I'm leaning towards an albins or a ppg. Im from jersey and the only people i heard of running albins is SF. Any extra info you have would be appreciated.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by La Maestra
Anyone out there running a ppg doxbox for an H-series? I been looking into it for next season (fresh track build from scratch) and have been told to convert to a b or k series tranny (ppg). I read a previous thread for Bull Head Gears but i was just wondering
what you H-guys are running.
I dont have any specs yet (just trying to gather some info and opinions)

(https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2400732)
Hit up Aaron Lopez. He is on the PPG H box.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMekB20
What makes the albins better? Im shopping around for a dogbox as well and I'm leaning towards an albins or a ppg. Im from jersey and the only people i heard of running albins is SF. Any extra info you have would be appreciated.
I know this was directed to Miller, but I'm going to chime in.

I've used both Liberty and PPG. In that order too. lol

Liberty is a great bang for the buck solution, but like others have said part are tough to get.

PPG is very stout. I have one for my car and it's had a bunch of hits and a bunch of dyno time on it and it still looks great. Only problem I had is with the 4th gear dogs rounding and that was my own fault. I was using a stock SCHA instead of using a good one from SpeedFactory.

Now, the nice thing about the Albins is that there are more FD options and the dogs are replaceable. When you finally figure out how to setup a trans like this the replaceable dogs are a great option. I wish I went this route early on.

If you have $10k to spend I'd do it like this....
Albins gearset
Liberty billet case
SpeedFactory SCHA
New OEM forks
DSS driveline
and have it assembled by someone that knows what they are doing (James@Synchrotech)
Old 12-14-2012, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tepid1
I know this was directed to Miller, but I'm going to chime in.

I've used both Liberty and PPG. In that order too. lol

Liberty is a great bang for the buck solution, but like others have said part are tough to get.

PPG is very stout. I have one for my car and it's had a bunch of hits and a bunch of dyno time on it and it still looks great. Only problem I had is with the 4th gear dogs rounding and that was my own fault. I was using a stock SCHA instead of using a good one from SpeedFactory.

Now, the nice thing about the Albins is that there are more FD options and the dogs are replaceable. When you finally figure out how to setup a trans like this the replaceable dogs are a great option. I wish I went this route early on.

If you have $10k to spend I'd do it like this....
Albins gearset
Liberty billet case
SpeedFactory SCHA
New OEM forks
DSS driveline
and have it assembled by someone that knows what they are doing (James@Synchrotech)

ok thanks! Cunha from CLM Motorsports builds my trannies so I'm good to go in that aspect. I guess I will go with the Albins. I was actually looking into that billet case anyway lol.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:25 AM

The PPG sets have held up well in both B and K-series transmissions. We have been very pleased with them.

The new B-Series design is great but, requires the use of a Billet Bell case for high HP cars. The previous design was my favorite since it utilized a bottom brace and you didn't have to spend $2k for a case. However...In order to make a bigger ring and pinion, they had to do away with the bottom brace. In addition, with the current exchange rate, it would raise the price even more to have the bottom brace factored in.

The key element in a lot of these sets is proper assembly. Setting them up correctly is a night and day difference in how they perform. The other thing you must keep in mind is the electronics/tuning part of it. Tuning for a dog box and utilizing a strain gauge makes a big difference. Just ask any of the guys going fast. Just throwing a dog box in it without compensating for it is not gonna cut it.

Like anything in racing....INSPECT, INSPECT, and INSPECT some more. Look at the big NHRA guys and how they go through everything each round. We may not need to do it to that extent but, going through your box after a race weekend is a good idea. It might just save you from a catastrophic trans failure!

As for the Albins sets....SF seems to be doing really well with them. We have done a couple for international customers and I really liked them. Fit and finish was great. I like being able to replace just the dogs and not the whole gear when they wear down. That is one of the things they have going for them.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by James@Synchrotech
The PPG sets have held up well in both B and K-series transmissions. We have been very pleased with them.

The new B-Series design is great but, requires the use of a Billet Bell case for high HP cars. The previous design was my favorite since it utilized a bottom brace and you didn't have to spend $2k for a case. However...In order to make a bigger ring and pinion, they had to do away with the bottom brace. In addition, with the current exchange rate, it would raise the price even more to have the bottom brace factored in.
not sure how much the bottom brace helps. Ive have the original ppg design and it still cracks the case. Got a case welded up and it cracked faster.
even with the gforce and small tires ive seen the cases crack. there no way around it but getting the billet case.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by GodFather of Boost
not sure how much the bottom brace helps. Ive have the original ppg design and it still cracks the case. Got a case welded up and it cracked faster.
even with the gforce and small tires ive seen the cases crack. there no way around it but getting the billet case.
So far so good on this side! With around 1100hp on one and just over 1000hp on the other with zero case issues. Both were meticulously assembled and inspected after every race. I still recommend going with a billet case though.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So far so good on this side! With around 1100hp on one and just over 1000hp on the other with zero case issues. Both were meticulously assembled and inspected after every race. I still recommend going with a billet case though.
i can attest to what he said about them break even with the cuff. I broke a stock case on a stock tranny and 24.5's 2 years ago and i also have cracked the g force modded case with the lower cuff on 24.5 again last year. The billet housing does seem to be the best option cuff or not
Old 12-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Small tire stuff? how many passes do they have?
my first stock case got me 40+ passes on 26s mid 9s to high 8s. the modified got me 3. lol but it was tire shaking bad.
curious to see what luck other guys are having.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:33 PM

my first stock case got me 40+ passes on 26s mid 9s to high 8s. the modified got me 3. lol but it was tire shaking bad.
Small tire is the catch LOL! Tire shake is a destroyer.

Since that style is no longer available...you gotta buy the billet case. Just wish they weren't so expensive!
Old 12-14-2012, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Small tire is the catch LOL! Tire shake is a destroyer.

Since that style is no longer available...you gotta buy the billet case. Just wish they weren't so expensive!

Sheepeys car! Stock case with the ppg setup. I am not sure how or why it hasnt cracked yet but it hasnt. Something that needs to be addressed before next season for sure though. Its just one of those things that WILL fail eventually.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If I was in the market for a trans again, I would be looking for product support. Meaning getting parts when you need it, tech support and pricing. They all break, every manufacture mentioned in this thread someone has broken it. Everyone drives different, different set ups and blah blah blah. It really depends on budget that you have. Albins and PPG obviously the high of them all work very well, but I've seen people crack ring gears, damage the dogs as well. Gforce and Liberty the 5k mark work and some people have issues some don't... It's racing... **** happens.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im with Franklin on this one. I just purchased a new Liberty gear set and I hope it will last on my H/R crx. I had a G-force but due to parts breaking with 26"' i got sick of it and they tell me they dont work with 28" slicks which im running in 2013 . I know the liberty will break and i hope i can get parts for it quick. I do believe proper installation is a key factor on these dog boxes lasting.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OEM
Old 12-14-2012, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fknfast
OEM
Lol.

Finally said screw it and went with the PPG and the billet case and have put 65 passes on it and about 500 street miles and just recently lost something on the 2nd gear dogs.
Attached Images  
Old 12-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As far as I know, no one running the Albins has broken a stock case. Helical gears load the case a lot differently than straight cut.

Quick Reply: Dog box whitch one the best /witch one the worst