Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Starter options

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Starter options

My starter has an intermittent problem, sometimes leaves me stranded for 30 minutes or so until it works. Comes and goes. I looked up the price of a new starter, and well, it's pretty expensive!! (~550$) A local shop suggested they could get a remanufactured Denso (OE) with a 3-year warranty, but when he called about it they said a reman was not available, only a new one, and they quoted list price of around 750$.
I'd like to stick with something that is at least as good as the OE starter (it lasted 14 years, after all). This starter has been rebuilt twice, last time the gentleman who rebuilt it said "this will be the last rebuild on this starter, you need to get a new one" - and that was about 5 years ago.
Anyone have a suggestion on a starter, where to get one, brand, expected price?
What are you guys replacing your OE starter with when it dies?

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Starter options

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?ck Just look up 1998 acura integra in the parts catalog. Go to the electrical section, click on starter. Scroll down a bit. Denso reman for a standard(manual) trans, $140.99. Just replaced my oem starter with that. I wouldn't use anything other than a denso. Mine isn't a type r, but same starter motor so it doesn't matter.

EDIT:Starter for the type-r may actually have a different part#. I believe it's the more expensive denso starter on rockauto. I still see no problem with using the cheaper one unless someone knows of a significant difference between the two...
Old 12-05-2012, 04:41 PM
HT White Ops

Denso's website shows the part number for an ITR specific starter as 280-0184. RockAuto.com sells that part for $131+34 core charge. That's probably your cheapest option if you want to stick with OEM/Denso, I would. It's a remanufactured one.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andyt

Good info in here on this subject.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

type r starter is different. a base model starter will work but the R unit is lighter a touch smaller. jdm shops may be a good bet, average used price is $100, i would take a jdm over a reman anyday. the OE starters are rock solid
Old 12-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by racebum
type r starter is different. a base model starter will work but the R unit is lighter a touch smaller. jdm shops may be a good bet, average used price is $100, i would take a jdm over a reman anyday. the OE starters are rock solid
Thanks for the info Racebum

I question why honda would do that though. They are famous for making parts cross compatible, so why change the starter ever so slightly for the R? That is kind of suprising for me at least. Granted its still cross compatible, but why change it at all...
Old 12-05-2012, 08:33 PM
HT White Ops

i would take a jdm over a reman anyday. the OE starters are rock solid
What for? Honda uses and sells starters and alternators remanufactured by Denso, why would a 10-15 year old JDM Denso starter be any better, and for nearly the same cost? If we were talking Autozone remans I would agree with you, but Denso remans have always been good to go for me.

Last edited by Kenso; 12-05-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I replaced my OEM Denso ITR starter with an OEM JDM Mistuba CRV starter and there was not a difference in size or wieght. Only physical difference was the shaft that contacts the teeth on the flywheel is about a 1/4" longer on the Denso.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S2kRyan
I replaced my OEM Denso ITR starter with an OEM JDM Mistuba CRV starter and there was not a difference in size or wieght. Only physical difference was the shaft that contacts the teeth on the flywheel is about a 1/4" longer on the Denso.
jdm itr starters are made by mitsuba as well, physically a touch shorter and were something like 10 ounces lighter. they function exactly as the same as a US spec denso from an ls/rs/gsr,. just are a slightly different unit

honda does like cross using parts but also has different vendors for different parts. it's quite possible the jdm cars just used a different brand for logistics reasons