Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

96 Accord Engine Dies Issues/ Has trouble starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Accord Engine Dies Issues/ Has trouble starting

Hello everyone. Thank you in advance for your help.

I have a 96 accord 2.2 non-vtec.

The problem I was initially having , was the car losing power, the revs would drop to 0, and then go back up to normal while driving. This went on for a few days.

Then the car started to die on me right after starting up and or while driving. Afterwards car would not want to start. Had to crank the engine several times before it would eventually turn on. Sometimes after I pulll the key out after I tried cranking it a couple of times, the car feels like it swallows back some gas, almost like a big hiccup. Car cranks, but struggles to come on and if it does, dies within seconds if I don't give it up more gas.

Initially I thought it was the fuel pump, but I can hear the pump turn on when I put the key in the ignition into A/C.

Took it to a friend who's a mechanic, and we changed the ignition coil. We inspected the distributor that had been changed 25k miles ago.

Same problem. Car starts up easier, but then still dies all of a sudden. So we replaced the main relay underneath the dash. Same problem.

The funny thing is the car will be fine one day and the next be giving me the same issue of just dying on me either after starting, while sitting at a red light, or while driving. What happens is it feels like the engine isn't getting enough gas and it just sputters dead, like when you run out of gas.

I have replaced the fuel filter 30k miles ago. We also checked the codes, no CEL light or codes showing up on scanner.

Do you guys have any other advice on how to troubleshoot this problem.

Thank you.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: 96 Accord Engine Dies Issues/ Has trouble starting

TTT , anyone?? any help or input is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 Accord Engine Dies Issues/ Has trouble starting

No one has any suggestions?
Checked fuel pressure and that is good.

We've narrowed it down to three possibilities,

1. Crank shaft sensor. ?

2. Distributor, (even though I replaced it 30k miles ago and I opened it up and it looks good)

3. ECM unit?

Do you guys have ways of testing the crank shaft sensor or ecm to see if they're working good?

Again no codes, or check engine light coming on.

Can't keep having my car stall on the freeway.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got the same problem at my accord H22A.. Any suggestion bro?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:24 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you put a new or used distributor in ? What was the problem that caused you to put that distributor in ? This sounds like it could be the ignition control module, but if, when your car dies, the dash lights go off, this could be the ignition switch instead.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
Did you put a new or used distributor in ? What was the problem that caused you to put that distributor in ? This sounds like it could be the ignition control module, but if, when your car dies, the dash lights go off, this could be the ignition switch instead.
I put in a new distributor. I replaced it because the old distributer I replaced was failing and causing the car to sputter.

I am leaning towards the camshaft position sensor. My dash lights do not go off when the car dies. I dont think its the ICM, because the car will start up fine and usually stay on for a few seconds to a few minutes. I could be wrong, but i'm sensing its the cam sensor It only occasionally dies, meaning that i'm leaning more towards the camshaft sensor causing it to stall.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: 96 Accord Engine Dies Issues/ Has trouble starting

okay, so I am stumped and getting frustrated. So it turns out that it was not the damn crankshaft sensor.

So I've narrowed it down to the ICM or ECM.

Do you guys think it's more one than the other.

I'm hoping for ICM, but this problem is so damn sporadic and intermittment its hard to diagnose.

Any helps guys? Thanks a ton.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Trial User

are your plugs and wires good? and are u sure 100% sure its not the fuel pump just because it turns on doesn't mean its working properly
Old 12-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheeCcordman
are your plugs and wires good? and are u sure 100% sure its not the fuel pump just because it turns on doesn't mean its working properly
not 100 percent, sure, so i'm going to change the ICM, and keep my fingers crossed that that is what it is.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
Thank you manny! It turned to be the damn ICM.!!! I don't get why an ICM from a new distributor would crap out after 30k, but hence was the problem. seeing that a distributor is 180 and the module was 180, it might just be worth replacing the entire dizzy next time.