Notices

OBD0 Warning Lights Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD0 Warning Lights Issue

Morning guys,
I am currently facing issues with my 89 EF9.

All started after a major service that I've done earlier yesterday whereby I've changed engine oil, timing belt, oil filter, 3 oil seals (2 top 1 bottom) and spark plugs.

After letting the engine run with the new oil change, drove around for about 3miles when the warning lights appeared on the meter gauge.

1) Battery warning light
2) Oxygen or catalytic converter warning light
3) Door ajar warning light

Engine does not seem to have any physical signs of problem (ie misfiring, shuddering etc). Just the fact that all 3 lights turned up. During the duration of 15min drive, only for a few seconds does this warning light went off but only to come back again.

I've checked the grounding cables to ensure it is tied properly to the chassis, I've checked the right side of the engine bay where I was working on to change the timing belt but I do not see any parts missing/knocked out or out of place.

I've done a search with few hits but none really explain in detail what could be the cause of said lights to appear.

Appreciate your assistance and advice or redirect me to an existing threads in regards to this please.

Picture of the said warning.

For info I'm running on OBD0 B16A (EF9) and this problem only happens after said service and retarding the ignition timing on the dizzy. Running on 15/30W engine oil with original honda oil filter and seals with NGK spark plug #7.

While waiting for your kind advise, I am resetting my ECU right now just in case.

Thank you in advance.

Have a nice weekend

Last edited by cooksmonster; 09-01-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: OBD0 Warning Lights Issue

Unplug the 4P alternator connector and turn the key from off to ON(II) (engine off). Does the charging system light in the cluster still turn on and stay on?
Old 09-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OBD0 Warning Lights Issue

Hey thanks RonJ@HT,
As what I've searched and read through, hooked up my battery back to the car and plugged the ECU back on and started the engine. Those pesky lights are still there.

So I went on to troubleshoot the alternator as HT residents kept on mentioning and true enough, on cold battery the multimeter showing roughly about 13.1 and when cranked it went down to low 12's and needle is not pointing at the 'Charging'... FML

Weird part though, the car starts up on the first crank. Might be a dying alternator instead of a dead alternator then.

Does Hondas always 'notify' you when the alternator is either dying or died? I've been playing with VTEC since 2002 and honestly speaking, this was the first time my car told me in advance rather than me being stuck stranded somewhere.. judging by my previous car was a conversion from a non vtec to a vtec and my ef9 is basically my first car that came stock with a B16A. Usually I would only know if there's an issue when the CEL comes to play. And why does it suddenly notifies me right after my oil change?

Unfortunately in Malaysia it's Sunday morning so no chopshops are open so I'm not able to doublecheck incase I taken off the altenator belt and didn't place it back on or something.

Oh well.

Thanks again guys. My first post in HT