Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Eibach Multi-Pro R2 Coilovers for the track

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eibach Multi-Pro R2 Coilovers for the track

Anyone here use these on track yet? Wondering about use with springs in the 850F/1100R range, and height adjustability. Price looks good for a double adjustable monotube with remote reservoirs. Anything I have ever bought from Eibach has been top notch, but springs and bars are a little simpler than dampers. From their website:

THE ULTIMATE IN TUNABLE SUSPENSION PERFORMANCE
A.10-Way Adjustable Compression Damping—Tunable for Street or Track
B.Adjustable Hard-Anodized Compression Piston
C.Hard Anodized Nitrogen End Cap with Dual Quad O-Ring for a Perfect Seal.
D.High Pressure Schrader Valve for Fine Tuning of Nitrogen Pressure
E.Stainless Tefl on Braided Hose for Maximum Strength and Damping Response
F.Free-Floating 46mm Hard-Anodized Gas Piston with Wear Band and Quad Ring for Exceptional Performance and Durability
G.7-Way Rebound Adjustable Aluminum Bypass Valve—Tunable for Street or Track
H.Ultra Light-Weight 2.5" Aluminum Top Hat
I.High-Strength .875" Nitro Steel Rod for Maximum Durability and Resistant to Extreme Side Loads
J.Monotube Design with our Exclusive 304 Stainless Seamless Tubing for Maximum Strength and Durabilty
K.2.5" I.D. Eibach Racing Springs (ERS) — Wide Range of Optional Spring Rates (sold separately) for Street or Track Tuning
L.Lightweight Locking Aluminum Adjustment Collars to Fine Tune Ride Height and Corner Weights
M.Large 46mm Hard Anodized Linear Design Piston for Improved Heat Dissipation and Reduced Fade
N.Bronze Impregnated Wear Band with O-ring backup for Maximum Performance, Durability and Reduced Stiction
O.Large .500" I.D. Shim Stack for Precise Response and Adjustability
P.7-Way Rebound Adjustable Aluminum Bypass Valve—Tunable for Street or Track

Price is quite good at $2200 or so for an ITR.
Attached Images  
Old 08-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 621 Likes on 492 Posts
Default Re: Eibach Multi-Pro R2 Coilovers for the track

I saw these a couPle weeks ago while browsing around. They look promising. I figure that since I've got probably two years before I put any dampers on the toy that I have time to see some feedback. Price is nice for sure.

I think there is a thread in the itr forum about them.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is an article and some pictures I found:

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t..._r2_coilovers/
Attached Images       
Old 08-28-2012, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by itrsteez
I can't say enough great things about this suspension. We gave it some heavy abuse on track this weekend between a few of us.

By far my favorite part is how damn comfortable the car is to drive to/from the track. I did roughly 1200 miles in the past few days and it was mindblowing to drive something that has a comfort level of stock while using 650/750lb springs. This is an incredible unit you guys have made.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...3009699&page=5

Ali
Old 08-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would imagine they are pretty good/affordable for an external monotube setup.

They are not legal for my class so, not something Im looking at.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Price is much less than half of JRZ/Moton, which is what makes them look very interesting to me. I would buy the Dutch magic stuff, but price has always been a show-stopper. Not winning any money at this game limits my will to shell out more than I already have into this bottomless money pit. I looked over the thread in the ITR forum, but I am running much higher spring rates than I saw people had used, so wondering about that in terms of range of adjustability, and how they work in terms of low speed damping, and what the clicks do at the lower shaft velocity end of the spectrum.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Seeing as how you have to order from Tirerack you will have to get them revalved and buy new springs......

cost would then be close to $3k unless they offer a customized setup...so if thats the case, why not go with some 3011s?

Last edited by known; 08-28-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have just been in contact with a sales guy called Tanner at Eibach and he was very helpful. He will send me some info after he assembles it. He told me currently they come with relatively soft springs and that you need to buy extras to run something like 850F/1100R. But he said they have had many meetings in which they discussed the issue of offering custom spring rates, in the future, and he will ask the damper division manager again. He said no issues for existing valving with my spring rates, and dropping car down 1.5 to 2" is fine as well, with no bottoming and good droop. Rebuild cost per damper is $175 in case you damage them, and they have a 1 year warranty on which they have been fairly lenient for normal wear and tear. I also asked if they could supply dyno curves for a specific set you buy and he said they would see how much that might cost. They said they have several people at Eibach running them on cars driven to the track, and that the Honda Acura products were quite new. All the dampers are custom built at their location.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very nice setup!
Old 08-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Makes me wonder if this might be the way to go, but like known says.
Might not be legal for me to use either, and the 3011's would be the better route, or if budgeting allows the 2812's

Last edited by dirty19; 08-28-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you can build them with custom rates I would say its a hell of a setup, even for a couple hundred more if you had to just buy the springs yourself. Im assuming the dampers are going to be very good coming from eibach without any real data on them.

I dropped down classes or else I could have run external reservoirs in Super Touring, Improved Touring does not allow it to try to keep costs down.

I actually researched these units when they first came out and I was still running STL, there was not a lot of info on them at that time even on Eibachs site.

What are you running in Dirty? Guessing HC?
Old 08-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Yep HC... I believe the remote reservoirs would cost me a weight penalty.
Dont get me wrong,I love the look and the ability to adjust everything.
But added weight on the car in an already fast group of drivers.
Plus the cost is out of my budget.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ext Res dampers are 75 extra lbs in HC classes.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For me, no restrictions, this is very cool at the price they are offering these at. Hard to beat that with stick!

Last edited by Robin6; 09-07-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Robin6
For me, no restrictions, this is very cool at the price they are offering these at. Hard to beat that with stick!

Is it only me but is it lame that custom spring rates are an issue, this is Eibach right?
Definitely looks like a nice setup. But the custom spring rate issue, especially being an Eibach setup seems a bit lame.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Robin6

Is it only me but is it lame that custom spring rates are an issue, this is Eibach right?

Robin, dont you run JRZ's?! :0

I know 4 people that would buy today if custom spring rates were offered. When I learned custom rates were not an option and they come with such soft rates, a few things come to most peoples mind....

Is this design made and setup more for street use?
Shocks valved and dyno'ed for lower spring rates and not "track only" use?
Will the shocks really last a decent time with higher spring rates?
How do these truly compare to other "double" external res setups?
Old 08-29-2012, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Smitdog
Robin, dont you run JRZ's?! :0

I know 4 people that would buy today if custom spring rates were offered. When I learned custom rates were not an option and they come with such soft rates, a few things come to most peoples mind....

Robin does run JRZ's and Robin loves them!

But for the other projects, these would be outstanding.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by known
Seeing as how you have to order from Tirerack you will have to get them revalved and buy new springs......

cost would then be close to $3k unless they offer a customized setup...so if thats the case, why not go with some 3011s?
Tony from Eibach here. I came across this post and wanted to chime in and clarify a few things on this kit. I've been using the ITR spec Multi Pro R2s on my track car for the last year and some change and I have about 15 track days on the set up so far. This is by far the best suspension kit I've ever used! I'll try and answer as many questions as I can on this thread.

We originally packaged these kits for our distributors like Tire Rack and Summit racing to sell as a complete unit. That being said, we had to offer an off-the-shelf set up for the average Joe to buy and sell.

However, we've all talked about offering custom set ups internally here at Eibach. Moving forward we are going to offer all of our R1 and R2 coilovers without springs. We understand not everyone is going to have the same tires, driving style, aero, etcetera. Below is how we plan to set up part the numbering system. We do not plan to catalog the coilovers without springs but as long as a dealer or distributor has the part number they can order either set up.

Part Number for ITR Multi Pro R2 coilovers WITH springs:

Part Number for ITR Multi Pro R2 coilovers WITHOUT springs:

We've tested the valving of these coilovers up to 1000+ lbs/in. I currently use 600fr and 700rr rates on my personal set up with off-the-shelf valving. Custom valving is offered as Tanner mentioned in the phone conversation. We build everything in-house at our Corona, CA facility and turn around time is very fast!

Here are a few in car videos of my Civic at different tracks. We are testing them! My Civic has a stock B18C5 ITR motor and trans with stock LSD, Nitto NT01s, Eibach R2 coilovers and Hawk Blue pads. I've been using the 600/700 rates for a while now and love it! The car has no aero at the moment with the exception of a Spoon Duckbill.

Buttonwillow April 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJqpk...-bkD2WdYo7RQRA

Willow Springs June 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjkRy...-bkD2WdYo7RQRA

Streets of Willow July 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro74g...-bkD2WdYo7RQRA

Buttonwillow July 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGgYx...-bkD2WdYo7RQRA

Thunderhill August 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRYL9...-bkD2WdYo7RQRA
Old 08-29-2012, 08:14 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Pricing??
Old 08-29-2012, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This kit is designed for track use with "street" friendly rates.

We valved these kits high so rates could be stiffened if desired. With the shock settings at full open on stiffer rates this kit feels very comfortable on the street.

Yes. The seals and durability of this kit is outstanding! These kits were designed to last. We haven't had to do very many rebuilds on other applications and I have thousands of street and track miles on my kit.

We haven't done any comparison testing with other kits. I have talked to a few people that want to do reviews comparing these to other double adjustables. It's just a little unethical for a company like Eibach to say "we tested ours against company xyz and they're better!"

Evasive Motorsports did comparison testing with Rob Walker on his S2000 on these kits though. Rob had a custom EVS spec Tein SRC coilover he used for 7 years. We set up a day at Buttonwillow last year to test the Eibach Multi Pro R2 coilovers and Rob dropped a few tenths off his personal fastest lap time in just two sessions!

You can read Rob's review here:
http://www.maxrev.net/site/index.php...blog&Itemid=54
Old 08-29-2012, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dirty19
Pricing??
Unfortunately, we do not sell direct so I can't really give you accurate pricing. PM with the rates you have in mind and I'll see if we can put a ball park quote together.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:40 AM
Future Texas Boy

One of our engineers put 80K on his set without a rebuild before the car was sold. Last I heard they are still going strong.

Ryan

ps: I have a set on my ITR and love them.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How about 850 front and 1100 rear springs on an ITR for track use. Is the valving going to be at the limit with no room to adjust, or do both front and rear dampers need custom valving? Say car weight is 2550 lbs and overall weight is 2800 lbs with driver and fuel, and unsprung weights are about stock.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by descartesfool
How about 850 front and 1100 rear springs on an ITR for track use. Is the valving going to be at the limit with no room to adjust, or do both front and rear dampers need custom valving? Say car weight is 2550 lbs and overall weight is 2800 lbs with driver and fuel, and unsprung weights are about stock.

800f/1000r would be great rates for the ITR. If Eibach can install those springs with a setup that would be the kicker! Instead of buying your own springs why not just source same from Eibach if possible.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by descartesfool
The valving on these can handle those rates, yes. However, the end settings will come down to driver preference and set up. If you want more compression or more rebound we will need to know how much. Otherwise, our engineers can give you their best calculated valving if you choose to have "custom" valving done.

800f/1000r would be great rates for the ITR. If Eibach can install those springs with a setup that would be the kicker! Instead of buying your own springs why not just source same from Eibach if possible.
Each one of our kits has a build of materials (BOM) that tells our shock technicians how to assemble each application and what rates. Instead of making 10 different part numbers for one application we are going to offer the shocks without springs and you can tell us or the dealer what rates you want and order them separately. The cost of the shocks without springs will be much cheaper so the consumers can order the springs individually. Does that make sense?

Last edited by Jackson; 09-12-2012 at 07:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Eibach Multi-Pro R2 Coilovers for the track