Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

trap speed vs whp

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: trap speed vs whp

Originally Posted by 92redhatch
I guess It would all depend on the weight of the car and the dyno used. I guess your car probably weighs close to what mine weighs. I used a dyno jet for my numbers.
same here on the dynojet. ive been using the same dyno for like 8 years so i can compare all my different setups
Old 08-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hatch does 116 traps with 286whp @ 2285 lbs with 1.7 60fts
Old 08-02-2012, 01:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I kind of have to agree with FWD turbo cars don't fit into the on line calculators. Last weekend the Top dragster cars were running 190mph and 6.90. We all know Speedfactory just went 190mph.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there a big difference between NASP and FI when you compare BHP and torque?
See NASP set-ups running into the 10's with lower power and MPH than the equivalent time run by FI.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EddieCRX
Is there a big difference between NASP and FI when you compare BHP and torque?
See NASP set-ups running into the 10's with lower power and MPH than the equivalent time run by FI.
Far from an expert, but the Short times (60 foot) of those old V8's kills our FWD 60's. I mean those guys are cutting 1.3 60 foots.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Martian
Trap speeds have more to do with gearing than HP.I've seen 10mph changes with only a final drive gearing swap. Guys run low 11's here in anywhere from 115-130mph. The short answer to your question is they are just guessing.
Originally Posted by DraginX
Too many variables from one car to another. Torque can make a huge difference also, some people will make 50-75 wtq less/more than others at the same hp levels. Then you have gearing that will make a big difference, even how much you can rev the car and carry the power plays a huge factor. Not even mentioning aerodynamics of the car, then throw in weight. I've seen cars with 600whp+ running the same times as cars running 300whp before. Then the biggest factor of them all.... the driver...
Gearing. Torque production, & more importantly Powerband play a large part in getting a car down the qtr mile.

Take our car for instance:
Engine- KMOD K24 Turbo(6266 T3)
Weight- 2700lbs
Power- 726whp
Torque- 487wtq
Gearing- Very short(in 5th gear @ 9800rpm going thru the traps)
Tire- 24.5x8.5x15 M&H

Et- 10.20
MPH- 150mph

I've seen plenty of much lighter cars w/ better power to weight ratios that trap 10-15mph less than our car. According to calculators(math) those other cars should be trapping higher mph's than we are.

Video-http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...ature=view_all

-Marquis
-KMOD
Old 08-02-2012, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Twenty47
Those traps are on the slow side IMO for the hp.

agreed. it was the result of a dog **** track.
same car and setup would go a few tenths faster with 2-4 more mph when i would drive down to englishtown. it happened every time with all my setups for many years. yay lebanon valley
Old 08-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by blackeg
agreed. it was the result of a dog **** track.
same car and setup would go a few tenths faster with 2-4 more mph when i would drive down to englishtown. it happened every time with all my setups for many years. yay lebanon valley
This is very true. But for what it is, it's a good track.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah you're right. pretty low key and it has gotten better recently. as much as i hate on it, i do go there more than any other track
Old 11-13-2012, 02:05 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by DraginX
Too many variables from one car to another. Torque can make a huge difference also, some people will make 50-75 wtq less/more than others at the same hp levels. Then you have gearing that will make a big difference, even how much you can rev the car and carry the power plays a huge factor. Not even mentioning aerodynamics of the car, then throw in weight. I've seen cars with 600whp+ running the same times as cars running 300whp before. Then the biggest factor of them all.... the driver...
when a dyno spits out a "wtq" number, what the dyno is attempting to do is calculate crank tq - tranny loss. if the car made 300 crank tq and after the energy loss from tranny, it puts down 243lbs of tq. its not actual WHEEL tq. for in 1st gear, the wheel tq output would be roughly 16 times greater than the crank tq. so a stock honda producing 140lbs of tq at the crank will see roughly (140x16)x .82 (18% loss) = 1900lbs of tq at the wheel.

if a dyno claims less "wtq" than another car even though the whp are the same. its 99.9% safe to assume its just because of the rpm range. a deisel, and a honda could both put out 300whp. but since the deisel revs so low, in order to produce 300whp, it made have 600lbs of tq at the crank, resulting in a "500wtq" number while the honda gets its "200wtq". Both had the same amount of energy at the wheel at the same rpm output, but the rpm's were greatly different at the crank. wtq is NOT a symbol of power. wtq numbers actually make no bit of difference. for i could drop compression, and add a cam. sets say that results in the samepeak tq number, but now its at a higher rpm range. so i would gain whp, while keeping the "wtq" the same. whp is all that matters...just saying
Old 11-13-2012, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, judging by the little chart that was posted, my hp guess for my car was right. Turbo D EF, 2klbs with driver ran 107mph. I was expecting about 270whp from my street tune. Time for more boost.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ofsoundminds
when a dyno spits out a "wtq" number, what the dyno is attempting to do is calculate crank tq - tranny loss. if the car made 300 crank tq and after the energy loss from tranny, it puts down 243lbs of tq. its not actual WHEEL tq. for in 1st gear, the wheel tq output would be roughly 16 times greater than the crank tq. so a stock honda producing 140lbs of tq at the crank will see roughly (140x16)x .82 (18% loss) = 1900lbs of tq at the wheel.

if a dyno claims less "wtq" than another car even though the whp are the same. its 99.9% safe to assume its just because of the rpm range. a deisel, and a honda could both put out 300whp. but since the deisel revs so low, in order to produce 300whp, it made have 600lbs of tq at the crank, resulting in a "500wtq" number while the honda gets its "200wtq". Both had the same amount of energy at the wheel at the same rpm output, but the rpm's were greatly different at the crank. wtq is NOT a symbol of power. wtq numbers actually make no bit of difference. for i could drop compression, and add a cam. sets say that results in the samepeak tq number, but now its at a higher rpm range. so i would gain whp, while keeping the "wtq" the same. whp is all that matters...just saying
"wtq" is referred to as "base" torque. It is then multiplied by your gear ratio to achieve effective torque.

Also, chassis dyno's have absolutely no way of determing "engine" torque. They are not guessing at an efficiency rating. They are not picking a number out of their *** either. They are measuring the acceleration of the drum and deriving power directly, and using the RPM and speed of the drum to derive the torque required as well.

Also, in case you are not aware, ftlb/s is the units of horsepower. In other words, horsepower is the rate at which torque is being applied. (which is why if you can carry your torque high into the RPM ranges, you will make loads of horsepower)

Don't be silly, torque is everything to going down the track faster. Understanding where and how you want to apply is what makes the difference.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:46 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by SovXietday
"wtq" is referred to as "base" torque. It is then multiplied by your gear ratio to achieve effective torque.

Also, chassis dyno's have absolutely no way of determing "engine" torque. They are not guessing at an efficiency rating. They are not picking a number out of their *** either. They are measuring the acceleration of the drum and deriving power directly, and using the RPM and speed of the drum to derive the torque required as well.

Also, in case you are not aware, ftlb/s is the units of horsepower. In other words, horsepower is the rate at which torque is being applied. (which is why if you can carry your torque high into the RPM ranges, you will make loads of horsepower)

Don't be silly, torque is everything to going down the track faster. Understanding where and how you want to apply is what makes the difference.

a dyno can estimate crank tq by knowing the wheel tq at a certain rpm whp). knowing hp, and what rpm it was achieved, it can derive what the tq at the crank is ( this number reflects losses). this we agreed on.

I understand hp and tq completely. I was simply stating that "wheel tq" that dyno's give out is a 100% useless term in regards of figuring out how fast the car will be.

Base tq is what they are referring to as "wtq" its the tq they derived from knowing whp and rpm. since the power was what is actually being used to mvoe the car, the derived tq at the crank is given a "wheel" notation reflecting this. since we also agree that the "effective" tq is roughly 16 times higher at the tire than at the crank (4:1 for first 4:1 for final = 16 overall). so the actual wheel tq in 1st for a stock eg would be around 1,600lbs of tq.

thus why i hate when referring to "wtq" from dyno's. its pointless and just simply confuses people on what it actually means and what you can assume based off of the number