Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

81 Civic retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 81 Civic retrofit

Originally Posted by Jonathan_ED3
Maybe I missed it but why the integra steering column?
What year Integra?

2G frame rails are pretty wide... I've seen B series swaps with only minimal clearancing.
On my 1G I had to "massage" the engine bay quite a bit! Definitely worth it in the end though.
The column was out of a 95 Acura. I'm farily tall at 6'3", the splined shaft side of the U joint was shorter on the Acura column so I could angle up the wheel more and fit comfortably in the car. I can also use the EG turn and wiper switches since 30 y/o 2G switches are crappy and hard to find.

I DD an 80 Accord. Also have a running B18C in a eg hatch I don't drive, going to swap that over when I get this project done. I didn't want to start on something too difficult at first. I've build several VW trikes but this is different where I couldn't just make room for certain things on the body.

Originally Posted by the jdmchop
wow this looks intresting, but why EG door handles? that the only thing i hate about my EG
I like how they are readily available, fairly cheap and have the keyed lock and handle all in one unit. They also have a nice rounded style, something I'm looking for on this build.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RollinarexBBM4M
Thats a pretty sick setup you've got so far. cant wait to see more progress, keep it up!
Thanks, I'll keep'em comming.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love everything, especially the D! Subscribed, just my .02 but I would use Ef door handles. The Eg ones just dont make sense and dont flow with the car at all. Nothing about that 81 Honda is round, lol. Just my input.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good work there
Old 07-24-2012, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Interesting choice on those door handles...
Old 07-24-2012, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is awesome...
Old 07-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any outer door handles made after 91 are round. I had an EG parts car, so that's what I used and I can get a set for less than $12 shipped to my house.

Got the driver side installed today, surprisingly also working. Had to make a few minor adjustments to the linkage and it was working perfect. Once I traced the hole and beveled the metal, I had to basically tack weld it on. Laying beads on thin metal will lead to the metal pulling. Everything is flush, will lead in the seam so little body filler is used. I will need to finish them up buy getting a set of locks, once again fairly cheap.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I love what you did so far. I myself love the EG handles and would love to fit them to my Accord lol but hey I would like to have more details on the brake swap too seeing how I'm using a 1st gen Prelude hubs (basically the same thing as the 2g Civic) and I would like to upgrade the brakes.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 81cord
I would like to upgrade the brakes.
Sent you a PM with more info, thanks for the comments. Working on the rear setup now, once I get them on I will post up some pics. They are much easier than the fronts.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice work keep it up
Old 07-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is full of win Subscribed
Old 07-31-2012, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Been busy at work this week, not much time to work on it. Hitting it hard on Monday.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

too much win! hope everything goes well and I can't wait to see this thing running!
Old 08-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Rear brakes were much easier than the fronts.

Got a GSR axle stub, I imagine most the Honda's/Acura's are the same. Cut off the mounting stub and thought it would fit into the Civic spindle.....no go. Turned and faced it in a lathe, fits perfect. Will get my angles and clean it up before I weld it.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Interesting!
Old 08-08-2012, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Got the drivers rear brakes done, tacked it up with clamps and removed. Ran some thick beads around it that I will clean up later.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great.

Maybe I'm having a brain fart or i dont understand exactly what you did but what does the integra axle stub solve? You welded it into the civic assembly? I'm just not following how this allows a rear disc brake swap.

On mine I used the old early 80's prelude brake caliper brackets which has almost the proper inboard offset and then has the correct outboard bolt offset to match up to the 88+ Honda/acura rear calipers. It wasn't a 100% bolt on like it is on the 1G cars but I managed to make it work.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks great.

Maybe I'm having a brain fart or i dont understand exactly what you did but what does the integra axle stub solve? You welded it into the civic assembly? I'm just not following how this allows a rear disc brake swap.

On mine I used the old early 80's prelude brake caliper brackets which has almost the proper inboard offset and then has the correct outboard bolt offset to match up to the 88+ Honda/acura rear calipers. It wasn't a 100% bolt on like it is on the 1G cars but I managed to make it work.
Maybe because he already have all the parts lying around or something? Either way, it is nice to know other options for brake upgrades on our cars.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm just not following how this allows a rear disc brake swap.
The caliper mounting bracket is made into the stub as seen in the pictures above. No "custom" fitting for the caliper since it's all one piece, unlike the front calipers. Since the front calipers were already mounted, I needed to stay within the engineering controls and used the GSR rear calipers and 4040 valve used for the system as the OEM vehicle did.

Originally Posted by 81cord
Maybe because he already have all the parts lying around or something?
Exactly correct. I had a complete GSR brake swap for my EG I never used that I picked up a few years ago. I don't like to waste parts.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gotcha.

I was confused because I thought you were swapping ONLY the "axle" into the civic assembly. I couldn't understand how this allowed you to convert to disc brakes. But now I see that you swapped the entire integra axle WITH bracket into the civic piece. This allows a rear caliper to mount because the integra piece has the correct "ears".

I understand now. When you said stub axle I was thinking literally only the axle. I couldn't for the life of me understand how this would allow you to convert to disc! Lol.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How are you welding these brake brackets (front and rear)?

Aren't they cast? I was under the impression there's not a perfect way to weld on these pieces since they're structural. Are the resulting welds structurally sound?

Can you elaborate on this a bit with regards to your method? I would much appreciate it!
Old 08-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the rear brakes were held on with 4 - 6 mm bolts so I think that a complete hot weld all the way around is more than sufficient.

On the front I cut off the caliper bolt mount holes and welded a spacer so the larger discs could be used.

I cleaned off the metal up to about half inch from the welds and put a high bevel on the surface to be welded, including the spacers. This gave me more surface area to weld to. I use a 220V non-flux cored welder, penetration is good. This isn't the first time I've built vehicles.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Cruspeed... Good to see you are making progress on the civic
Glad it went to a good home so it could be back on the road
Don't throw away those second gen hubs if you didn't use them... I can put them to use
Did you ever get your web site up and running
Old 08-13-2012, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Subscribed.

Love these kinds of builds..:D
Old 08-22-2012, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Rear mount is done. Upside down welding 1/2 blind is not fun. Will get in there and grind for reweld when I pull the engine again.

I took a front torque mount for an EG and made a mounting point where the T bar goes. Turned some bushings and welded to a plate. Bolted everthing else except for the body mount. Angle, rod end with grease fitting and 1/8th plate made the actual bracket. The lowest tinsel strenth is 5125 pounds, I'm sure it will handle the torque.

Quick Reply: 81 Civic retrofit