Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Accord (1990 - 2002)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 05-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
Spug
Honda-Tech Member
1990 Honda CRX

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default 2000 Accord LX O2 sensor code

My sister's check engine light has been on for a while. She had the code checked, and it was the O2 sensor code. I replaced both O2 sensors for her and the code cleared. Then, on her way home (25-30 minute drive) the CEL came back on. She went and had it scanned again, and it was still an O2 sensor code. She brought it back so I could put one of the old ones back in to see if maybe one of the new ones was no good. I put the old one back in the upstream location and the code cleared again. A couple of days later the CEL came back on again, guess what code, O2 sensor.

Any ideas why it keeps FUBARing O2 sensors? Or if there are any other things that may cause it to throw the O2 sensor code?

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
jdmcertified909
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: 2000 Accord LX O2 sensor code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spug View Post
My sister's check engine light has been on for a while. She had the code checked, and it was the O2 sensor code. I replaced both O2 sensors for her and the code cleared. Then, on her way home (25-30 minute drive) the CEL came back on. She went and had it scanned again, and it was still an O2 sensor code. She brought it back so I could put one of the old ones back in to see if maybe one of the new ones was no good. I put the old one back in the upstream location and the code cleared again. A couple of days later the CEL came back on again, guess what code, O2 sensor.

Any ideas why it keeps FUBARing O2 sensors? Or if there are any other things that may cause it to throw the O2 sensor code?

Thanks.
check wiring. seen this before. wouldn't doubt if you found a fried wire from being to close to the block. head. exhaust.
jdmcertified909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
redbull-1
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spug View Post

Thanks.
What was the actual trouble code?

If her Accord is an ULEV, then it needs an air/fuel ratio sensor (a wide band type of sensor) vs. a regular type O2 sensor for the non-ULEV. Generally, it will say ULEV on the valve cover (4 cylinder engine) unless someone swapped parts, etc. However, the trouble code is different for an A/F ratio sensor; so, that will specifically tell.
redbull-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
Spug
Honda-Tech Member
1990 Honda CRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull-1 View Post
What was the actual trouble code?

If her Accord is an ULEV, then it needs an air/fuel ratio sensor (a wide band type of sensor) vs. a regular type O2 sensor for the non-ULEV. Generally, it will say ULEV on the valve cover (4 cylinder engine) unless someone swapped parts, etc. However, the trouble code is different for an A/F ratio sensor; so, that will specifically tell.
It is the ULEV.

I'll have to look into this.

Is it generally the upstream, downstream, or both?
Old 05-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
redbull-1
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

For the 4 cylinder, IIRC only the primary needed an air/fuel ratio sensor. The secondary was an O2 sensor.
redbull-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:15 AM   #6
Spug
Honda-Tech Member
1990 Honda CRX

I guess I forgot to hit the save button after I edited my last post.

I checked Honda diagrams, and only the upstream is listed as A/F sesor, so I'll have to look into exactly which code she's getting.

Thanks.

submit to reddit