AMA: Aak Me Anything (engine related) school project

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA: Aak Me Anything (engine related) school project

Hey guys im doing a schol project where i need people to reply to a forum post! So if you could help me out, that qould be much appeciated!

ASK ME ANYTHING car replated and ill get back to you with a technical, insightful response. THANK ALL! Ask away!
Ask me anything car, engine, peraonally related.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AMA: Aak Me Anything (engine related) school project

Lol ok, just want to verify that I have clutch chatter.

When I engage into first gear, it takes longer than usual and even sometimes violently shakes the whole car (especially a cold start).

Should i buy just a replacement OEM exedy clutch (stock engine), and as for the flywheel can just use some sandpaper on it, or should a shop do it.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bnetkillzone
Lol ok, just want to verify that I have clutch chatter.

When I engage into first gear, it takes longer than usual and even sometimes violently shakes the whole car (especially a cold start).

Should i buy just a replacement OEM exedy clutch (stock engine), and as for the flywheel can just use some sandpaper on it, or should a shop do it.
Thanks for the input!
I had the same issue with my EF. After warming up it would stop, sounds about right? I thought it was that the clutch wasnt aligned properly, turns out water was leaking in from the plate mounted to the transmission and engine to protect the bottom of the flywheel. I'd check that and replace the clutch. Is it original?? likelihood is its worn down.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:32 AM
Trial User

Hey Ill post something!

I got a EF hatch n wanna know if i should put a b16 into it? its quick now but could be much faster with b16. what do you have in ur civic?
Old 04-02-2012, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by efefef9
Hey Ill post something!

I got a EF hatch n wanna know if i should put a b16 into it? its quick now but could be much faster with b16. what do you have in ur civic?
Hey! I would suggest a b16 if you have the extra cash. They go for what, $1,600 for a decent one? Im planning on dropping one into my EF soon, once the shop is up and running and I have the time.
I currently have a leaky DOHC ZC in my EF. Its burning 10 times the gas its supposed to, so theres something hideously wrong with it haha. B16 might be needed sooner rather than later!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Trial User

Sounds fun

Know anyone doing D16 rebuilds??
Old 04-02-2012, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crx_sizc
Sounds fun

Know anyone doing D16 rebuilds??
I do actually! He's here in Toronto. Where are you located? and how much power are you after? He was telling me about some D16a6's he built to 210hp with a Jackson s/c. PM me and I'll send you his contact info. He build my CRX D16, and i have 185hp there abouts? Sounds great and reliable as the sun.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ohgodbadname
Thanks for the input!
I had the same issue with my EF. After warming up it would stop, sounds about right? I thought it was that the clutch wasnt aligned properly, turns out water was leaking in from the plate mounted to the transmission and engine to protect the bottom of the flywheel. I'd check that and replace the clutch. Is it original?? likelihood is its worn down.
Yup after warming up it stops. I have no maintenance history from the previous owner, so I have to assume the clutch is original. Currently at 103k miles.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup after warming up it stops. I have no maintenance history from the previous owner, so I have to assume the clutch is original. Currently at 103k miles.
Definitely give it a look see. Hows your shifting on other gears? smooth?
Your clutch plate is most likely done.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ps - 103k km?! original? that must be a very clean EF. keep it looking good!
Old 04-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hi, i recently installed a si transmission on my std hatchback because the old transmission was grinding 3rd very bad anyway i installed the transmission and it runs just fine the only problem is that there is a sound as if u were to put your finger on a plastic fan but only when the clutch is engaged and mostly herd in 1st gear u can hear it in the other gears but its not as loud, if u put it on neutral and rev the engine it does not make the sound, your help would be very much appreciated ty.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just put on my ef sedan a d16a6 and it has spark fuel pump its flowing gas but my car wont start
also i dont have oil pressure switch on my harness would that be the reason why
Old 04-02-2012, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ps - 103k km?! original? that must be a very clean EF. keep it looking good!
103k miles, yes. And its actually a DC4, just posted here for quick info and to help you out thanks for the help!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fredefhatch
hi, i recently installed a si transmission on my std hatchback because the old transmission was grinding 3rd very bad anyway i installed the transmission and it runs just fine the only problem is that there is a sound as if u were to put your finger on a plastic fan but only when the clutch is engaged and mostly herd in 1st gear u can hear it in the other gears but its not as loud, if u put it on neutral and rev the engine it does not make the sound, your help would be very much appreciated ty.
Again, I have the same problem. Its a rubbing noise, no? When the clutch is disengaged, and it goes away, likelihood is its transmission internal. Check your oil asap for any metal shavings or debris. Are any of the gears difficult to up or down shift into?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lilchris813
i just put on my ef sedan a d16a6 and it has spark fuel pump its flowing gas but my car wont start
also i dont have oil pressure switch on my harness would that be the reason why
Definitely check the ecu for codes. What was in the sedan prior to the D16a6? Depending, the ecu could be looking for information that is not available, thus immobilizing your car. The oil pressure switch could do that, yes. Run a PM6 ecu if you are not already.

Does it crank, but not turn over?
Old 04-04-2012, 03:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi I want to turbo my dohc zc, can you tell me all the parts needed to reach my power goal of 200 hp.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Old goat
Hi I want to turbo my dohc zc, can you tell me all the parts needed to reach my power goal of 200 hp.
Honestly, I've heard that its not worth it on a DOHC ZC. The internals can apparently handle upwards of 180hp stock, but anything above that, and you start running the risk of blowing up the engine.
The main issue, from what one of my buddy's suggests, is the availability of high quality internal parts. a D16a6 boosted with a turbo is a much better direction. That's mainly because A/M parts are more readily available for a D16 than a ZC.
The issue is whether its worth it or not. If you are turbo-ing an engine, you'll probably want to build it so it can take the extra power, no? You can run a turbo off a stock ZC, but likelihood is it wont hold up to all the abuse. Build a D16 and slap a turbo on that, and it'll be much more reliable and accommodating.

That being said, I dont work with turbo's, so take my "opinion" with a grain of salt
Old 04-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The Dohc zc can handle boost better than a d16a6, D16 could do 180-200 hp sorta safely but a dohc zc could probably handle up to 220. If I were to turbo mine I would just do a t25 small boost street car and try for a reliable 160 hp DD. Anything more you should have ARP headstuds and a built bottom end/ head.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Again, I have the same problem. Its a rubbing noise, no? When the clutch is disengaged, and it goes away, likelihood is its transmission internal. Check your oil asap for any metal shavings or debris. Are any of the gears difficult to up or down shift into?
nope its completely smooth there is just a grind from 3rd gear the tranny does have 173K miles on it, it just sounds like you are putting your finger on a plastic fan
Old 04-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of symptoms would a damaged front engine mount cause? I did some messing around and stiffened up the front mount and now my clutch chatter has almost gone away except when I make a mistake...I used to get wicked chatters going up a hill and it used to chatter the whole dash.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDpower
The Dohc zc can handle boost better than a d16a6, D16 could do 180-200 hp sorta safely but a dohc zc could probably handle up to 220. If I were to turbo mine I would just do a t25 small boost street car and try for a reliable 160 hp DD. Anything more you should have ARP headstuds and a built bottom end/ head.
you definitely have more knowledge about turbo's than I do, so Id listen to this guy, @Old_goat.

But I have been told by a bunch of people the ZC cant handle 200+hp? If you are going stock vs stock, ZC can definitely handle more than a D16a6. But if he's going to the trouble of boosting it, why not go with the more versatile D16 and build it properly? Agreed though, small turbo to 160 would be a great little car.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bk7794
What kind of symptoms would a damaged front engine mount cause? I did some messing around and stiffened up the front mount and now my clutch chatter has almost gone away except when I make a mistake...I used to get wicked chatters going up a hill and it used to chatter the whole dash.
I honestly couldnt help you there
I threaded my rear tranny mount and decided to just leave it. bolt barely holds it in place lol. that being said, i also have wicked chatter when im pulling away from a stop. So it could be shifting the engine in ways its not supposed to, you know?

Ill do some research and let you know asap
Old 04-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok... ill be a lil more difficult... and just ask a simple question...

what would it take (in full detail) to make an awd jseries swap in a 91 dx wagon? and where all would you source out the parts... lengths, sizes, measurements? thanks way far in advance...
Old 04-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a question. Why do j.d.***** put roof racks on slammed cars? They are so low that if you load up the roof rack you will scrape on a penny. Is it just for looks or are they just sassy and trendy. Lol great school project man.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beansandrice
I have a question. Why do j.d.***** put roof racks on slammed cars? They are so low that if you load up the roof rack you will scrape on a penny. Is it just for looks or are they just sassy and trendy. Lol great school project man.
It is just a stupid and pointless fad like the whole hella flush bullshit.

Quick Reply: AMA: Aak Me Anything (engine related) school project