Notices
Honda S2000 Honda S2000

Oil Consumption, 2001 s2000, 61K miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Consumption, 2001 s2000, 61K miles

I've owned this car since new. For the first 50K miles or so the car needed a quart every 2000-2500 miles starting from mile 0. Recently the gap closed to 1000 miles (for last three quarts I've added). Not sure when it changed from 2500 to 1000 miles, I only started keeping records of the gap when it seemed like I was adding oil more often.

Anything I need to check? Nothing is leaking outside the car.

Driving is a mix of 35-50 mph winding roads w/hills and straight highway constant 75 mph drone.

Weather was summer for last three quarts (car gets 6K miles/year give or take).
Old 11-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Oil Consumption, 2001 s2000, 61K miles

I chalk my oil consumption up to 9k rpms. stupid vtec.

I'm just upping my post count

LOL
Old 11-25-2011, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

every single VTEC motor i have ever messed with, owned, or come across has an oil consumption issue...its because VTEC uses oil presssure to activate the solenoid and theres no recirculation system so it just gets dumped into the exhaust....its fairly normal...and i know AP1 S2K's have a crappy PCV system too which adds to it...i just changed my oil last month and have put 500 miles on it and i needed to add half a quart the other day....just keep an eye on the oil level and youll be fine...these are picky cars and need more attention as far as maintainance goes more so than other cars
Old 11-25-2011, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Excellent. ty. was getting nervous I was on a trend leading to rebuild.... or that there was something simple I should be doing like replace pcv valve or check the blahblah sensor.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Boots
every single VTEC motor i have ever messed with, owned, or come across has an oil consumption issue...its because VTEC uses oil presssure to activate the solenoid and theres no recirculation system so it just gets dumped into the exhaust....its fairly normal...and i know AP1 S2K's have a crappy PCV system too which adds to it...i just changed my oil last month and have put 500 miles on it and i needed to add half a quart the other day....just keep an eye on the oil level and youll be fine...these are picky cars and need more attention as far as maintainance goes more so than other cars
this pretty much covers it, I think.

Boots, I'm curious, what is the mileage on your AP1?
Old 11-25-2011, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ap1padawan
this pretty much covers it, I think.

Boots, I'm curious, what is the mileage on your AP1?

a **** hair past 93k....i couldn't ask it to run any better either...my only gripes right now are my leaky roof and a horrible bump-steer issue which i hope to solve once the holidays are over...daily driven too, cant let a car like that sit
Old 11-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just hit 43k so I did her a favor and performed an oil change early myself; daily driver as well. (not that you asked)

I have a small tear in my roof as well ); It doesn't rain much here in So Cal but it is an eye sore if you notice it.

What's up with that bump-steer? Uneven tread wear? I hate how that feels with a passion.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just hit 43k so I did her a favor and performed an oil change early myself; daily driver as well. (not that you asked)

I have a small tear in my roof as well ); It doesn't rain much here in So Cal but it is an eye sore if you notice it.

What's up with that bump-steer? Uneven tread wear? I hate how that feels with a passion.

the leak actually is coming from where the top meets the windshield...i think i need to replace my strikers and latches, i replaced the top about a year and a half ago...and the bump steer i guess is from me being as low as i am...my tires are brand new, like within the past month...i think im just going to get an anti-bump steer kit next month
Old 11-26-2011, 04:47 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My open PCV solved pretty much all of my oil consumption issues. My 00 has 53k miles on it. The car used to burn lots of oil at high RPM. Not like it was fogged out behind me on the street, but I could smell it. I filled up a closed system catch can in like 6000-7000 or so miles! There were 3 track days in there also, though. On the track, the car would james bond smoke trail everyone on extended hard right handers. The car burned about 1-2 quarts per track day!!! With a catch can!! The car was weird, though. It burned ZERO oil on my 4600+ mile road trip. So now.....

My PCV system is now completely open. I just have:
-PCV Valve running to vented catch can
-intake manifold plugged off at PCV nipple
-Breather filter on valve cover breather
-Breather nipple on intake arm plugged off.

The car went thru 0.25 quarts at most at the last track day. Success!! Also burns no more oil on the street.

I know its illegal to run an open PCV, and you'd get in much more trouble for it in cali. So try changing out your PCV valve with an OEM Honda part. It should be like $15-20.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the leak actually is coming from where the top meets the windshield...i think i need to replace my strikers and latches, i replaced the top about a year and a half ago...and the bump steer i guess is from me being as low as i am...my tires are brand new, like within the past month...i think im just going to get an anti-bump steer kit next month
Oh I see. I have a tear from wear on the left side where your head is where the top folds. Do you know if it's a good idea to get it patched or sewn? (I have the OEM fabric top)
Yeah those are kind of pricey but worth the investment since it's jacking your tires up without it.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh I see. I have a tear from wear on the left side where your head is where the top folds. Do you know if it's a good idea to get it patched or sewn? (I have the OEM fabric top)
Yeah those are kind of pricey but worth the investment since it's jacking your tires up without it.

i know of plenty of guys who have patched their tops, but im particular as hell so i went ahead and replaced the whole thing since the guy i bought the car from threw it in with the sale....its is a complete pain in the *** to replace though...ive been a mechanic for about 10 years and i would highly recommend you have someone do it if you think its beyond your abilities...it took me 8 1/2 hours to replace it and that was with everything going smoothly...my old top had those stupid tear marks too, and the plastic window was cracked right in the middle
Old 11-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know of plenty of guys who have patched their tops, but im particular as hell so i went ahead and replaced the whole thing since the guy i bought the car from threw it in with the sale....its is a complete pain in the *** to replace though...ive been a mechanic for about 10 years and i would highly recommend you have someone do it if you think its beyond your abilities...it took me 8 1/2 hours to replace it and that was with everything going smoothly...my old top had those stupid tear marks too, and the plastic window was cracked right in the middle
I know a few locals around here that have done the job themselves and they did tell me it took them a good GOOD while to perform such task.
I'm particular, too and I wouldn't like someone to replace it for me if I can do it myself y'know? I have a glass top on my '03 so I may just patch it and wait it out to see how it holds.

Thanks for the words o' wisdom Boots man. It's good to know I can rely on HT for solid feedback still.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i wat in on this thread too many cool kids for me not to join.

oil consumption? i guess im average about a quart to a quart and a half every 3k motor has 113k. just put on a dual catch can set up well c if it helps.

patching tops... my top sux ***. its the oem back from 00 with 113k on it. ever tear i find i patch with black silicone. i get a piece of cloth; denim cotton w/e put black silicone on it and patch the top from the inside. after it dries u can peal the cloth off and the silicone stays in place. so far it has been working for me.
no issues where the top meets window frame. upgraded to ap2 strikers and newerish catchers so far so good.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the f20c has a problem with oil consumption due to the fact the motors were not bored properly with a dummy cylinder head like they were supposed to be - the f22 was produced at a new facility and was bored correctly.

To properly fix the issue over bore using 20 or 40 over replacement pistons and rings from Honda.

Some oils like Mobile 1 are very slick and will get burnt at a higher rate especially with aggressive driving buy it in jugs from walmart.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Black S2K
i wat in on this thread too many cool kids for me not to join.

oil consumption? i guess im average about a quart to a quart and a half every 3k motor has 113k. just put on a dual catch can set up well c if it helps.

patching tops... my top sux ***. its the oem back from 00 with 113k on it. ever tear i find i patch with black silicone. i get a piece of cloth; denim cotton w/e put black silicone on it and patch the top from the inside. after it dries u can peal the cloth off and the silicone stays in place. so far it has been working for me.
no issues where the top meets window frame. upgraded to ap2 strikers and newerish catchers so far so good.

how long have you been using that black silicone for?
Old 12-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MV99-S
the f20c has a problem with oil consumption due to the fact the motors were not bored properly with a dummy cylinder head like they were supposed to be - the f22 was produced at a new facility and was bored correctly.

To properly fix the issue over bore using 20 or 40 over replacement pistons and rings from Honda.

Some oils like Mobile 1 are very slick and will get burnt at a higher rate especially with aggressive driving buy it in jugs from walmart.

do you have some data of some sort to back your statement about f20s from your first paragraph?

I use Mobil 1 and it does burn pretty fast and needs a somewhat frequent addition of oil every few hundred miles. I'm thinking of switching oils if another type yields better results but then again it may just be a thing to live with as an s2000 owner.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:00 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It totally depends on the oil you are using, some burn off much quicker then others and Mobil 1 is one that burns up quick in our high revving engines.