Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Help! motor not running right! long list of codes!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Help! motor not running right! long list of codes!

I hate the search so i need to post this asap, i just got done and swaped my ITR motor in my new 99 gsr, iv done swaps before and built motors before but i cant seem to figure out whats going on. So long story short, i replaced the timing belt oil pump and water pump on the motor while i had it on the stand, i redid the valve lash, but at 3k rpm it has a bad sound after that it goes away, I got a few issues im confused about, i have a check engine light with a a lot of stuff stated,
p0170-p0172
MIL ON
MONITRS
3 INC
CATALYST
EVAP
02 SNSR
6 READY
MISFIRE
FUEL
COMP
02 HTR

i know the codes mean the first o2 sensor but i have no idea why it woud be bad it was good when i took out the motor,
someone please help me in the right direction, im no noob iv done this a few times by my self but this swap is giving me problems left and right! i need help now.

Last edited by wunfstgsr; 11-27-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help! motor not running right! long list of codes!

help me!!
Old 11-17-2011, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So those are all the error codes you have? Have you checked your wiring? Or tried a different ecu?
Old 11-17-2011, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is your mechanical timing on point? Is your car in limp mode?
Old 11-19-2011, 02:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mouab18c1
So those are all the error codes you have? Have you checked your wiring? Or tried a different ecu?
yes, the motor i have is a ITR and i tried the oem gsr ecu and it ran even worse.

Originally Posted by Caleb5947
Is your mechanical timing on point? Is your car in limp mode?
Good point, going over it was off a tooth, so i fixed that, so i messed around and took off the dizzy cap to see whats going on in the dizzy and sure enough the rotor was loose! haha tightened that beotch and it runs great also did the timing and it runs smooth.

Now the biggest issue of all! i have a slight grinding sound at 3k rpm, its every time i rev to 3k it goes away after 3k rpm but it sounds now like its coming from the trans bell housing, the trans is pretty much brand new from the dealer with only 50k so the trans is fine, the clutch was also in great cond as so was the flywheal, the clutch engages nice and theres no real issue with shifting ect, when driving the motor i cant tell or feel any power loss or affect to the motors performance, so i highly doubt its the motor, the motor is also new from the dealer with 55k. inside the cabin at night when its quiet i can really hear it coming from the trans side. with the hood poped you can kinda narrow it down tward the trans area too, at first i thaught it was the motor but driving it it doesnt seem to be off. This is the same motor i had just swaped in a new shell and set back to stock form besides the sk2 manifold.

So wheres this noise coming from and whats causing it to come at 3k rpm?

It sounds like gears are grinding against something, its not verry loud and its not quiet, its not a rod knock or valve tick. its very consistant at 3k rpm, could it be the clutch? i bled my clutch but it still feels a bit softer than i remember cause its been almost 3 months since i drove it.

Last edited by wunfstgsr; 11-27-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:20 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

that list is confusing, can you pull all the "P" error codes and list them. That or do the jumper method and list the number codes (41, 3, 7, etc)
Old 11-20-2011, 01:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
that list is confusing, can you pull all the "P" error codes and list them. That or do the jumper method and list the number codes (41, 3, 7, etc)

Last edited by wunfstgsr; 11-27-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Trial User

does it only happen at nuetral or in all gears or in just a certain gear?? It could be you have inbalance in something and moving the tranny cause it to get worse the shaft clearnces in bad or bearing inside it have you checked your trans fluid at the fill plug see if it is full?
Old 11-23-2011, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hondaman9722
does it only happen at nuetral or in all gears or in just a certain gear?? It could be you have inbalance in something and moving the tranny cause it to get worse the shaft clearnces in bad or bearing inside it have you checked your trans fluid at the fill plug see if it is full?
It happens in all gears, in neutral as well. even when engine braking, in gear as it goes down and passes 3k rpm it will slightly make the noise. The trans and Exedy stg1 clutch is pretty much new and it had no issues before the swap. has 2.75 qts of fresh honda mtf in it.

im pulling hair out of my bald *** head! wtf is it! i took it to a shop and they looked it over and said something sounds loose in the oil pan..

so i go home thinking what if the oil strainer is loose like i didnt torque one of the bolts down when i replaced the oil strainer gasket when i did the oil pump and timing belt ect, so i freakin took the oil pann off and inspected the strainer and baffle pan but everything looked normal, i checked the torque on the bolts on the strainer and they were at spec.

What can cause or have interference at 3k rpm? because even in neautral it makes the same sound.

Its not the p.s pump or a.c condensor because i ran the motor with out the belts and it made the same sound.
The cam gears are not rubing the v.c cause i even used my tuner v.c that has the cam section cut off and i can see clearly its not rubing the v.c.
I re did the valve lash in the morning but it wasnt that.
Can anything in the clutch area be hitting something when reving in neutral or in gear?
Like a improperly installed clutch?
Im sure i instaled the clutch back on right, i mean i put it on the first time and i know i did it correct the second time but i could be wrong idk im not perfect nor a profesional i just have allot of experience with this specific motor and car.

I replaced the throw out bearing since i had a new one, and i also cleaned and regreased everything and used the suplied exedy friction lube on the shaft. I cleaned out the bell housing very good as well.
I just cant seem to figure out whats making the sound when it revs to that certain rpm.

could the dizzy make that sound if it has a damaged internal part? Im just thinking about that because thats spining with the motor as well. I would suspect the clutch or flywheel or dizzy cause i dont see anything getting damaged by the timing belt area. I really dont think its a engine issue the motor runs strong.

The car is 99% stock ITR besides the sk2 pro manifold which is carb legal.

Im so crying right now tryin to figure this out. WTF can it be! I need some tec help!!
Old 11-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I tried a known good gsr dist today and its still makes the sound.
bump!!
Old 11-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Could possibly be a loose pressure plate or flywheel.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Could possibly be a loose pressure plate or flywheel.
well i did have to take off the clutch but i didnt touch the flywheel, it could be possible i missed something when i put it back on but the clutch engages and feels good.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any chance the starter isn't completely disengaging?
Make sure the valve lash is correct - perhaps one is bouncing at a certain RPM?
Could it be in the intake system - airflow, t.b. gasket, intake.. anything that resonates?
Syncro?
Anything around the exhaust that could be touching the frame?
All the motor mounts sound / crack free?
Old 11-26-2011, 01:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mark@silbernage
Any chance the starter isn't completely disengaging?
Make sure the valve lash is correct - perhaps one is bouncing at a certain RPM?
Could it be in the intake system - airflow, t.b. gasket, intake.. anything that resonates?
Syncro?
Anything around the exhaust that could be touching the frame?
All the motor mounts sound / crack free?
Starter.. hmm the starter is a replacment from auto zone, works fine dont see why it would grind at 3krpm but idk

I checked the vl like twice, and the motor seems fine throught the rpm range in all gears.

i have the black box in the back constantly blowing the o ring out for some reason and its leaking oil so im pretty sure thats why the scan tron is bringing up the evap system. theres no code except the up stream o2 sensor p0170 and p0172, but i replaced it with a barely used 02 sensor and the code comes back also says 6 ready miss fires! why?
Im leaning tward the theory that i have the wrong spark plugs because the cold step ngk plugs from the super charger set up is still being used so idk if that has any role in the 02 sensor codes.
the trans is pretty much new i know its not the tranny.

I took most of the heat shields away uner the car but i just cant seem to figure what it is.

motor mounts are avid motor mounts and are not to old. neve had anyt issue with them in the last shell.

im gonna change the plugs and swap out the black box with one from a gsr swap i have and see if the evap warning or malfunction will go away.

again im still getting that wierd list of things saying 6 ready miss fire fuel trim ect.. as well as 2 stated codes which are currently p0170 and p0172 for up stream 02 sensor.

ill have a video of the sound hopefully up tomarrow and hopefully someone will help me pin point the possibilitys of where it might be coming from.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know when I welded my exhaust to the undercarraige of the car it sounded like grinding at about 3 grand and went away after that. Have you welded the exhaust? Did you use the clutch alignment tool when installing the clutch? This could be a number of things. Hope to see the video soon and goodluck.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Caleb5947
I know when I welded my exhaust to the undercarraige of the car it sounded like grinding at about 3 grand and went away after that. Have you welded the exhaust? Did you use the clutch alignment tool when installing the clutch? This could be a number of things. Hope to see the video soon and goodluck.
the exhaust is all stock from header to muffler. It sounds like a heat shield rattle/grind sometimes but i cant see what could make the sound.

I used the alighnment tool when i put the clutch back on.

When im driving down this street that has a big wall to my right i can hear it echo louder and it deff sounds like something from the trans side but then again i can hear it to my left sometimes too but it gets loud sometimes and i just hate it!

when its in the drivway i cant hear it grind that much only when i drive it now will i hear it, its weird before i could hear it just reving the motor in the drive way with the hood poped now i cant.. but when i drive its there!
I made a lil vid but the sound sucks but the begening of the vid you can hear at 3k and it makes this sound and then i get it again but you have to listnen carefully to hear the sound change before 3k and after 3k.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://youtu.be/iIKhy1EDjQg
Old 11-27-2011, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

first of all are you using an obd2a (ecu) to obd2b (car) conversion harness? the ecu is obd2a, the car is obd2b. that could be your problem if your not.

secondly sounds like your o2 sensor is all sorts of not hooked up right
Old 11-27-2011, 04:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it dosent sound like anything to me. But i had this nocking noise goin on and the front motor mounts that mount to the frame rail was unbolted. on my car the kid was gonna pull the motor and sell it and started taking it apart so maybe you missed something. check your work over
Old 11-27-2011, 04:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DCRB
first of all are you using an obd2a (ecu) to obd2b (car) conversion harness? the ecu is obd2a, the car is obd2b. that could be your problem if your not.

Obd2a wont plug into obd2b unless you have a conversion harness so there goes that theory
Old 11-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 11-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DCRB

so your saying the 98'' obd2a usdm ITR ecu im using is not compadibale because the car is a 99'' gsr? im pretty sure the 99'' is still obd2a..

i tripple checked everything, you cant really plug a o2 sensor wrong, both o2 sensors are properly installed, first bank o2 is barely used but i get the o2 sensor code coming back after a few cycles.
it doesnt sound like much but when driving its very noticable.

ill have a vid with the hood poped and reving and another vid with me driving in the day and in the night cause you can hear it better at night cause theres no traffic really. ill find a lot to take the vid to try and get some echo to aplify the sound.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

99 is still obd2a. I honestly think the ecu has nothing to do with your problem. Have you done a compression test or leak down test just for the hell of it?
Old 11-27-2011, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

99 is still obd2a. I honestly think the ecu has nothing to do with your problem. Have you done a compression test or leak down test just for the hell of it?
no i havent but maybe one day soon, but the motor feels just as strong as day one.
heres a clip i took today drivin down the street, first gear you can deff hear it and then i take it and keep it around where it makes the sound around 3100 rpm and you have to listen but you can hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akkD1XZkkBo
Old 11-28-2011, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump

Quick Reply: Help! motor not running right! long list of codes!