Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Council vote today at 3pm to close our DRAG STRIP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 09:23 AM
GSRcaucAZN78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Council vote today at 3pm to close our DRAG STRIP!!!

Please help by voicing your concerns to these officiasl and please do NOW as they are making the vote today at 3pm. Apparently the city did not want this story to break in time for anyone to raise opposition. The track found out YESTERDAY.

kimberly.randolph@kcmo.org, jackie.burton@kcmo.org, lisa.minardi@kcmo.org, meg.conger@kcmo.org, melba.curls@kcmo.org, reva.simmons@kcmo.org, petrina.gooden@kcmo.org, erica.torres@kcmo.org, susan.borge@kcmo.org, michael.brooks@kcmo.org, lisa.sturgeon@kcmo.org, araceli.gallegos@kcmo.org, mayor@kcmo.org

-----------------------

FROM KCIR EMAIL...

Dear Racers and Fans,

Once again KCIR is under the threat of being closed...

At this point I am not sure who all the faces behind this effort are but I strongly urge you to read the article (and related comments below the article) in the link above and visit the KCIR FaceBook page and decide for yourself. After doing this I strongly urge you to contact anyone you think may be able to place a halt to this and allow time for proper public discussion about spending millions and millions of taxpayer dollars to buy, improve, police and maintain a new park and at the same time taking away a way of life for so many.

At this point in time sharing more of my thoughts and feelings about this situation serves no practical purpose. I just urge everyone to pass this information on and to make their voice heard. Time is of the essence!

Sincerely,

Todd Bridges

In addition there may be more information available on the "Save KCIR" FaceBook page. You can visit it by clicking http://www.facebook.com/SAVEKCIR

--------------------------------

Last edited by HybridMT; 11-03-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:24 AM
GSRcaucAZN78

Default Re: Council vote today at 3pm to close our DRAG STRIP!!!

Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo
Let me start out by saying that the "sale" of the track is not a decision that the owners want to make. They are not sell-outs, nor are they willingly abandoning the racing community. They are as deeply tied to racing, if not more, than anyone here.

In a nutshell, this was a political move. It may be one person, it may be a combination of people, but there are only 3 major players who have the kind of clout around KC to force the sale of the track.

1. Claire McCaskill. She owns approximately 27 acres (I believe) in the immediate vicinity of the track. My understanding is that she has been unable to market or sell her property for a significant profit because of the proximity of her property to the race track. That might make a good motive to lean on the city to force the track out of operation. And you can't forget councilwoman Circo...who also happens to be a fundraiser for Claire McCaskill. Interesting how that works out, isn't it?

2. Christine Kemper. She owns one of the houses on the hill on the other side of Noland Road, across from the track. The bulk of the track's problems started immediately upon her taking possession of that home. Many of you will recall the huge debacle involving the storage shed that Kemper and Porrevecchio tried to use as leverage to shut down the track. Huge hearing before the BZA. City Hall was packed. While she was successful in costing the track a lot of money in unnecessary "improvements" and attorneys' fees and ultimately restricting the days and hours of the track's operation, she could not shut the track down. But don't for a second think she has let it go.

3. Ms. Ulmer who owns all of the property up on the hill, east of the track. After her husband passed away, she has been trying to develop that property by herself. Rumor has it that nobody is thrilled about assisting in the development of that property because it's right above the track.

Now which one(s) of these people are behind the political pressure to force the sale of the track is anyone's guess. But there is a jerk in the woodpile somewhere.

Next, while what the city may try to claim is that this is a voluntary sale, nothing could be further from the truth. The city had been trying to buy the track for a while, but could never come up with any money. So the track entered into negotiations with another buyer (who would actually keep the track there, but would result in an infusion of cash for the track). After finding out that the current owners had found a buyer that would keep the track where it is, the city sent a letter threatening the condemnation of the land. Guess what that did to the sale of the property.

While under threat of condemnation, the property is dead. You can't sell it. You can't rezone it. And it makes no sense to spend any more money on it, because it may be taken from you at any time. So that's the first dirty trick the city pulled. Just the threat of condemnation crushed any chance the track had of selling to someone who could improve the place and devalued the purchase price to any other interested buyer.

Then the city, through its codes administration, began really putting the pressure on the owners to "fix" certain alleged violations at the track. "You can't have any electricity in your new outbuilding." Ok. Then it was, "You MUST run electricity to the new outbuilding." Ok. Then it was, "You have to repave the parking lot near the outbuilding". Why? That wasn't on the approved plans? "DO IT!" Then it was, "you need illuminated exit signs in the building." Why? Those weren't on the approved plans and this is a storage shed. It's not a public building as defined by the codes. "Do it or we'll fine you, etc, etc,"

So the city started making it clear that if the owners didn't sell, at a low ball price which the city could afford, they'd just come out there every single day and find something to ticket them for. Take away their vending permit. Something. The city very clearly sent the message, 'If you don't give us this land, we'll make your life a living hell. And if you make us go through the condemnation process, we'll make sure you are offered pennies on the dollar for the property and that after you've paid your lawyers, you'll walk away with next to nothing."

Welcome to Kansas City politics. And you thought it was bad during the Cleaver days?

And so far, the city has failed and refused to provide any assistance in finding another location for the racetrack. The owners even agreed to take less money in exchange for help finding a replacement property and some time to operate while they built the new facility. The city was NOT willing to give them another season, or even another day. The city is not paying what the property is worth, but it's paying more for the property just to shut it down NOW and to not have to find a new place. If that gives you any idea of the real motivations behind this move.

So you, the tax payers, while still getting a deal on the property, could have had it even cheaper if the city would have given the owners more time and helped them find a new place. But the city would rather pay more to run a business out of town immediately. Feel free to be pissed aS fuark about that, too.

So the city will have a completely worthless, non-income generating nuisance that it will have to take care of in place of a money earning, property tax paying business.

But hey, at least some of the more powerful women in the city will be able to line their pockets with cash after it's gone. And when it comes down to it, isn't being a politician really about using your power for your own profit?

Those are about all of the details I can provide at this time. I'm waiting for the press release to be issued by the city, to see how they "spin" this thing, but what I just told you is pretty dang accurate (other than my speculation about who is behind the string pulling). The city is RUNNING THE TRACK OUT OF TOWN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.

The track has been blackmailed, bullied and beaten into selling. HOWEVER, you can still lean on your elected officials to either (a) undo the deal and refuse to fund the purchase; or (b) at a minimum, assist the owners in finding a new location for the track.

Those are the facts as I believe them to be.

Last edited by HybridMT; 11-03-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

such BS....im so pissed
Old 11-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://www.facebook.com/SAVEKCIR

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kansa...45297565505490

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/02...#ixzz1cetLmzCg

"I have talked to a few news stations and they have talked to some of the council people but WE THE PEOPLE need to email them ourselves and tell them what they are doing is wrong!!!!!! kimberly.randolph@kcmo.org, jackie.burton@kcmo.org, lisa.minardi@kcmo.org, meg.conger@kcmo.org, melba.curls@kcmo.org, reva.simmons@kcmo.org, petrina.gooden@kcmo.org, erica.torres@kcmo.org,susan.borge@kcmo.org, michael.brooks@kcmo.org, lisa.sturgeon@kcmo.org, araceli.gallegos@kcmo.org. All of the city council people's assistance or personal email addresses and the mayor at mayor@kcmo.org."
Old 11-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wrote to them for you guys. I dont even live in the state but I know far to well what its like to have tracks close down.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

our local track (mason dixion) is also getting shut down next year. i call BS on both, where else are people going to race legal?
Old 11-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That sucks bad! I like coming up there to kcir!
Old 11-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Posted on a local St. Louis Honda and another local car forum with links from and to this thread for more information.

This is BS for sure.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I cant believe this s*it!! I'm doing what i can as of right now..
Old 11-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell around here everyone is trying to build their houses closer to the track

Its too bad, but how can they legally force a sale? Sounds like the money is talking to the owners in the right way.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Email sent... I wish you guys the best...
Old 11-03-2011, 11:21 AM
GSRcaucAZN78

4piston, read the johnnybravo post
Old 11-03-2011, 11:25 AM
GSRcaucAZN78

area shop owners should definitely attend the council meeting at 3. This is a lot of your business and life on the line...

City County Meeting Voting On The Purchase
414 E. 12th Street
Kansas City, MO 64106
Phone: (816) 513-3360
Date Time Location Agenda
11/3/2011 03:00 PM 26th Floor, Council Chamber
Old 11-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what a joke, sorry to read this, gateway closed now KCIR looks to be meeting the same fate. politics is ****ed up.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sucks to hear, we went through this here in SoCal with Carlsbad Raceway a little under 10 years ago.

The irony on our track was that it COULD have been saved but the people started to get together about a year late. By then papers have been signed. It was heart breaking to hear the judge pretty much say "Where were all you guys last year? If you guys would have attended the board meeting last year it would be a different outcome (not many went), right now things are done and things have been signed nothing I can do now."

Really shitty to see tracks go down like this.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:41 AM
GSRcaucAZN78

apparently the city did not want this story to break in time for anyone to raise opposition. The track found out YESTERDAY.

http://www.facebook.com/SAVEKCIR
Old 11-03-2011, 11:42 AM
GSRcaucAZN78

I emailed Lynn Horsley of the KC Star, the reporter who wrote the straight news piece reporting the pending sale of the property:
From: Patrick Chambers Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2011 2:17 PM
To: Horsley, Lynn - Kansas City
Subject: KCIR Sale

There seems to be a lot more to the sale of KCIR than the owners simply deciding to sell it. Scuttlebutt about Codes department harassment of the owners and other external leverages being applied abound. It is well known that people who built or bought homes in that area long after the strip was already there have wanted it gone. What does seem clear is that the owners have no desire to sell the land or get out of the business, but they feel they have been threatened with condemnation or eminent domain being applied.

Might this story not be well served by doing more than reporting it as a straight news story about KC Parks acquiring a piece of land? Might not the owners of the property make for an interesting interview?

Patrick:
Very good suggestion and we will try to follow up. This came up yesterday afternoon on short notice, and was handled in a closed session, with very few details released. That’s frustrating for me too, but the city can legally do it that way because real estate transactions can be handled in secret. I will try to pursue this further but some of this is hard to track under state law.
Lynn Horsley
Old 11-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i hate scumbag politicians like that, this is the land of the free and the home of the brave (well KC is trying to get free land) and we are making shady backroom deals because some people think that its "better"
Old 11-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Some shady **** going on for sure, hope you do not mind I have reposted most of the information you have in this thread as it has been posted. Hoping a couple locals from this side of the state sent or are sending some emails.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have they ever considered that closing tracks increases street races?
Old 11-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rudebwoy
have they ever considered that closing tracks increases street races?
politicians only care about themselves only
Old 11-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That really sucks. I hate seeing tracks go down especially in such a shady way as that to where they tried to hide it so it wouldnt be opposed. Screw complaining home owners and land owners because they cant turn a profit on their land because its soo close to the track. Thats BS. They shouldnt have bought their land their in the first place. Im sure most cases the track was there well before they were or owned the land.

So screw them and their noise complaints and being whinny little bitches.

I really hope enough people get involved that are against it that they can keep that from happening.

Even though its also seeming like money is talking to the track owner. I hope thats not the case. Thats why track owners need to be in it for the passion not just the profits.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ashtons300zx
That really sucks. I hate seeing tracks go down especially in such a shady way as that to where they tried to hide it so it wouldnt be opposed. Screw complaining home owners and land owners because they cant turn a profit on their land because its soo close to the track. Thats BS. They shouldnt have bought their land their in the first place. Im sure most cases the track was there well before they were or owned the land.

So screw them and their noise complaints and being whinny little bitches.

I really hope enough people get involved that are against it that they can keep that from happening.

Even though its also seeming like money is talking to the track owner. I hope thats not the case. Thats why track owners need to be in it for the passion not just the profits.
when the track opened in the 60's there wasnt a house ANYWHERE remotely near the track...many many miles away
Old 11-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

live audio of the council meeting

http://kansascity.granicus.com/Media...2&event_id=902
Old 11-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they need a union like the truckers have to combat things like this

Quick Reply: Council vote today at 3pm to close our DRAG STRIP!!!