Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

96 Accord Overheating Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 96 Accord Overheating Issue

I just had the thermostat done although I know from reading here that it could still be bad but would that cause all that air coming out when I try to burp the system...it never stops and eventually starts spitting coolant up like a geiser?????
Old 08-31-2011, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You're suppose to crack the bleeder screw on top of the Thermostat housing open while filling up the radiator. Doing this will push most of the air out while the coolant is making their way into the system. But running the engine with the radiator cap off will also work as well. I'd leave it out for five mins and that would be more than enough.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by newhondagirl
I just had the thermostat done although I know from reading here that it could still be bad but would that cause all that air coming out when I try to burp the system...it never stops and eventually starts spitting coolant up like a geiser?????
it never stops and eventually starts spitting coolant up like a geiser????

took it to the shop today...they did a compression test ....and leakdown (they say) told me that my HG is bad just need a new one...quoted me $800 bux! he said that all the mechanical parts are good (engine block, cylinders, head) he also told me the compression was the same in all cylinders...i also think i need a new cluch unless it can be adjusted??? so wouldnt it be better to get a lower milage engine put in and clutch at the same time... for the same price???
Old 09-05-2011, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by newhondagirl
took it to the shop today...they did a compression test ....and leakdown (they say) told me that my HG is bad just need a new one...quoted me $800 bux! he said that all the mechanical parts are good (engine block, cylinders, head) he also told me the compression was the same in all cylinders...i also think i need a new cluch unless it can be adjusted??? so wouldnt it be better to get a lower milage engine put in and clutch at the same time... for the same price???
How many miles on your engine? Did it run OK before the overheating problem? Did it use oil? If it ran well and didn't burn a lot of oil then you're probably better off fixing yours. Did the $800 head gasket estimate include replacing the timing belt, water pump, and clutch?
Old 09-06-2011, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Roader
How many miles on your engine? Did it run OK before the overheating problem? Did it use oil? If it ran well and didn't burn a lot of oil then you're probably better off fixing yours. Did the $800 head gasket estimate include replacing the timing belt, water pump, and clutch?
170,000...i just got the car, havent even drove it 100 miles so i really dont know if it burns oil...i got a couple estimates $800-$1000 to fix BHG and would include timing and water pump but they want to slap my head right back on and thats not even incuding a new clutch....So now i have decided to take this project on myself...just bought new clutch kit w/ new fly wheel $150, rebuilt head $250, new head bolts $140, gasket kit $160, timing set W/ ater pump $150 im pretty sure i have everything i need to do this...just need to find someone to help and a garage...if there is something im missing let me know as i am a first timer
Old 09-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honda Tech is a very diverse crowd...I would suggest you join a forum that is exclusive to your car... you will find model specific info, and help.

***edit you own a chassis code CD5 / 5th gen Accord
Old 12-13-2015, 06:48 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
Pull the thermostat and run without it and see if it overheats.
Hey! I just bought a 95 Honda Accord.. The same night I bought it, after much reassurance, it overheated and stopped working. I have been told many things but basically I don't know much and I wanted to see if you could help me identify some of the things in the car. Like the thermostat. I have put more water where the coolant should be. I should get coolant? I was told it takes water.. I guess it is the radiator? I am sorry to sound so amature but I was assured even by a mechanic that this was a good running car. -.-
Old 12-14-2015, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=asgenuineascanb;50673149]Hey! I just bought a 95 Honda Accord.. The same night I bought it, after much reassurance, it overheated and stopped working

This sounds BAD as the (stopped working ?)is not a good thing,as the car got HOT and stopped running ?. OK ummmhh if you choose to keep this,just bought used car and you have a Money Tree growing in your backyard then you're all set as this car will need some or maybe a lot from that nice $$ tree I wish you lots of luck,as this car may require it