Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

F22A4 Turbo Build (for anyone who cares lol)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default F22A4 Turbo Build (for anyone who cares lol)

about to put together a new f-series turbo project...i picked up the motor last night which was a trip. Got the motor and everything for 80 bucks. As far as i can tell everything looks in good shape it's only missing the fuel rail and injectors but that's no biggie considering I'm going to have to run bigger injectors anyway. Dude told me it was running when it came out and had about 140,XXX. Which doesnt seem like that'll be a big deal since im ripping it apart anyway. So i'll go ahead and list the parts and plans of what i want to get done.

F22A4 SOHC 2.2L
-Hondata S300
-H23 trans with Quaife LSD
-Competition clutch (Stage 5)
-Evolution 8.9lb aluminum flywheel
-Bisimoto Stage 1.2 Turbo Web camshaft
-AEM Tru-Time cam gear
-Head Hot tanked & resurfaced
-Bisimoto 85mm Head gasket
-Bismoto Oversized valve springs
-Bisimoto Valves (over 2mm Intake over 1mm Exhaust)
-KMS bronze 5.5mm valve guides and seals
-Kaizenspeed Balance shaft eliminator
-ARP H23 Head studs
-Garrett Turbo GTX3071R
-Vibrant Intercooler & Vibrant piping
-Mishimoto Triple core Civic radiator
-FCS Feed/Return Oil line kit
-Tempest Racing Oil Catch Can
-Golden Eagle Oil sandwhich plate
-Sheepey Built Top Mount turbo manifold (F22A)
-Sheepey Built Up pipes
-Tial MVR 44mm wastegate
-Tial Q BOV
- (STOCK) Block hot tanked and honed
-ATI street damper
-PWJDM EGR block-off
-FTW Race Gas (Purple/E85)
-RCI 5 gallon fuel cell
-Golden Eagle Fuel Rail
-Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator
-Aeromotive Fuel Pressure gauge
-Injector Dynamics 1000cc Injectors
-Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump
-Aeromotive Fuel Filters x2
-Nippon OEM Pistons and rings
-H23 Intake Manifold
-Blacktrax IM spacer
-Professional Products 68mm TB
-Samco Hoses
-Innovative 95A mounts
-ESP Traction bar w/torque mount
-M&H 23.0x7.5x15 Slicks on Acura Vigor wheels
(and anything else i find along the way that needs to be replaced will be)

this just a small list of the parts i got on my mind now there's still alot of other things i know im getting just need to make certain choices which brands and which direction im going to take, I'm doing all the work myself with help from a few buddies besides the machining (NORPA), hoping to have it running in a couple months and will def keep you guys posted. I see all these guys running big boost F22's in the accord forums i'd love to get one going for the Preludes out there. Hoping to reach a goal of 12 seconds or faster.

**I've since changed my goals and i find them very reasonable with what im doing now compared to when i first started this build. My goal now is to hit 10's which i think would be massive for the F22 in a Prelude as far as i know i'm the only one doing it and i won't give up on the F-series til i do...i've already been called stupid, told it's a waste of time, car is to heavy, SOHC don't work. That's fine, It's just fueled my fire that much more to go out there and prove a point. Anything can be achieved as long as you put the time, brain and money into it. For me this build is to have fun....and at the end of the day when the car sees the track that's what it will be about the all that hardwork we've put into this will be about having fun on the track with my loyal group of friends apart of my race team who have stuck by me this whole build. I didn't do this build for anyone esle i did it for myself (hence why the title says 'for anyone who cares'), but now i've kinda put it in the back of my mind to prove the naysayers wrong and have fun doing it! Quest to 10's here we come!!!

Thanks to: (this list will grow as the car is complete)
My team Berg Racing/WolfeBuilt!! (Wolfe, Matt, Zach)
Chris Wolfe (WolfeBuilt) for more than he knows, right hand man has helped me through EVERYTHING on this build. Couldn't of done it without him.
Bisimoto (Bisi and Julio) talked to them numerous times on the phone and they helped walk my machine guys through the steps!
KStuned not just for the parts i've bought but their customer service and their support on helping the H/F series guys out!
FS Tuned, MD & Hills Garage (Frank Smith) for tuning the car
Roger (md23vtec) for being an inspiration for my build, probably wouldn't of built a prelude if not for seeing what he did!
Norpa Machine shop for doing the work on my head and block!
Sheepey Built for making me a custom turbo manifold and up-pipe!
And all the other companies that have helped me along the way...
My family and friends, and everyone of you that's followed me and helped encourage me while building this project!

Last edited by BergRacing21; 10-22-2014 at 06:39 PM. Reason: added parts/changed my goal
The following users liked this post:
Old 07-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: F22A4 Turbo Build (for anyone who cares lol)

The motor

No damage

F22A4

Block is in great shape seems like dude had brand new head gasket on it

Timing side, water pump looks to have been replaced

Got all i could off, til i realized i had no bolts to hoist in on the engine stand

Sandblasting my valve cover

lol sand in my shoes!

sand EVERYWHERE

Blasted ready to be painted

Crank, and bottom end looking in great shape

Crank out

Cylinders 1 & 2 clean no scarring

Cylinders 3 & 4 great shape as well
Old 07-18-2011, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did notice and you can see in the few last pic the only real, minor problem i've seen while tearing it apart there's some scratch and scuffing on that bearing. But besides that this motor was in very good shape...can't wait to start to get my parts coming in to start putting this thing back together.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"For any one who cares"????? lol i care for the F series an there sexy factory internals. 80 bucks, nice!
You're gonna keep all stock internals?

just got myself an F23vtec from a friend for free. its going G series tho with the h22a4 head, and a turbo of course. psi unknown
Old 07-18-2011, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sweet! yeah just don't see many guys keeping the F-series motors in their Preludes...i've noticed alot of people proving the Preludes can make power which is great!, but reading all these accord forums and stuff seeing these guys making great numbers in there grocery getting 4 doors which are just as heavy as the lude i wanted to go ahead and build an F and prove it can pull the lude as well. I've always loved this motor the block was like built for boost especially with the low compression. So for this first build anyway i'm keeping the block pretty simple keeping the stock pistons and having the block hot tanked, sleeved and honed. I'm pretty much building the head up cause from most the search i've done the block can handle itself. I'm sure after next year if i'm not happy with the power/numbers or times i'm making i'll go ahead and upgrade the bottom end some more.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool project man, GL with it, look forward to seeing you build it.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude I'm all about doing something different. Thats why I chose to build the h23 but f22 is even more different. I'll be keeping watch on this thread.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:54 AM
Trial User

hey man aswome plan for your lude!! i have the same goals except im going to go with a f23 (i was told its worth it over the f22 but idk). What kind of head are you putting on it? i will deff stay posted! G Serious Frankenstein!! FTW
Old 07-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awsome build and thank-you for supporting Bisimoto. You will be very happy with the the power produced and additional help to spool your turbo with the Bisimoto Level 1 regrind!

What are your power goal?
Old 07-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ForgottenBB2
dude I'm all about doing something different. Thats why I chose to build the h23 but f22 is even more different. I'll be keeping watch on this thread.
Thanks guys! yeah, i've had this car since for awhile now, i've contemplated a H-series swap then ran out of money so i sold it. I've had 2 F22 motors now and i can honestly say they are awesome motors and just like you said it's something different. It's rare enough to see a drag prelude.

hey man aswome plan for your lude!! i have the same goals except im going to go with a f23 (i was told its worth it over the f22 but idk). What kind of head are you putting on it? i will deff stay posted! G Serious Frankenstein!! FTW
F23's are great motors but i didn't wanna go the VTEC route. I'm keeping the F22 head on there it's gonna be the F22A4 motor top to bottom. Just building it.

Awsome build and thank-you for supporting Bisimoto. You will be very happy with the the power produced and additional help to spool your turbo with the Bisimoto Level 1 regrind!

What are your power goal?
thank you! you guys are awesome, and Bisi is really my inspiration for this build. For right now i wanna test this set up out and see where it gets me kinda looking for 300whp/280trq roughly. Anything more i'll be surprised...anything less i wont be to disappointed as long as I'm close to my goals.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Quick update: not much has been going on since ripping the motor completely down, but i am taking it to the Machine shop tommorrow to have the block hot tanked and honed. Also been shopping around for a H23 intake manifold after many fails on the price i wanted to pay. I remembered my cousin had an old setup called him up to see if he still had it sure enough he did...is parting it off to me for 20 bucks and throwing in a AEM fuel rail and pressure regulator for another 30! Now that's what i call a steal. haha needless to say my cousin is awesome!
Old 07-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lmk if you end up needing more parts. i have many h23 f22 f23 etc oem parts laying around.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a spare h23 laying around with IM and throttle body if you need.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

def appreciate you guys help! i'm going to pick the mani up tomorrow. I guess i'll see what kinda condition it is...he had a H23 setup before he decided to go the H22 route.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It sounds like a good goal! Wish you luck if you have any questions of what it will take to make some power with the F22 I will gladly help you out
Old 07-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Trial User

sounds like a sick build! love everything prelude, just something about them ... haha but goodluck on the build, keep us posted cant wait to see the finished product
Old 07-23-2011, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Julio@Bisimoto
It sounds like a good goal! Wish you luck if you have any questions of what it will take to make some power with the F22 I will gladly help you out
definitely appreciate it, i've only heard good things about you guys and heard you're always willing to help. A lot of the reason i chose to put a lot of your parts on my build

Originally Posted by 909bb6
sounds like a sick build! love everything prelude, just something about them ... haha but goodluck on the build, keep us posted cant wait to see the finished product
haha thanks! me too bro...i love the body style that's why i dont wanna ditch it for a lighter car i just wanna prove they're some fast ludes out there too.

Not to much to update lately just ordering more parts and waiting for parts to come in and get some my stuff back from machine shop. Gonna start working on porting my H23 manifold and removing the butterflys tommorrow or monday and i'll post some pics!
Old 07-25-2011, 09:01 PM
Trial User

^^^ yeah love the body style too, i own both a 4th and 5th gen prelude, in my opinion theyr both sick cars & i might go boost on my 4th gen as well... keep up the good work bro haha
Old 07-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

great build matey
Old 07-29-2011, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So i've been pretty stalled at the moment, gotta make a phone call to FedEx today i shipped my cam off over a week ago and for whatever reason it's saying still in transit so i can't get much done til i get my cam from Bisimoto. I'm getting my block back on Monday and my pistons should be coming in this weekend so i'll be working on putting the block back together next week. I'll post more pics, but am extremely frustrated with FedEx for sure.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, pics, so nice having a build thread after having a period of nothing but threads people asking how to do things that a helms and 1 min of time will answer.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PirateMcFred
If you're having trouble getting that varnish off the engine internals try using powdered laundry detergent. Works better than many solvents I've noticed.

Post more pics.
Thanks! haha that was one of the questions i was going to post some people told me to use those engine degreasers with a 75/25 mix of water. Wasn't to sure about it. So powdered laundry huh? how exactly should i go about it? i'll def have more pics coming monday or tuesday. Right now i'm playing the waiting game. I also called FedEx and now i'm even more frustrated cause they guy couldn't really answer my question where my package is so he put a trace on it...and an agent is suppose to call me back within 24 hours. sigh

Originally Posted by Minilogoguy18
Yes, pics, so nice having a build thread after having a period of nothing but threads people asking how to do things that a helms and 1 min of time will answer.
haha yeah i've noticed the same alot of people who can't search or don't bother to click the faq link at the top. I'm just glad to finally get a build going...i had an H22 in process then i ended up getting laid off and had to sell most the motor just for money. And now i've been working on my third F22. and as much research i've done between the prelude forums and accord forums they are great motors for boost. So i plan on getting this build going and see where i can go from there.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PirateMcFred
Just warm/hot water, a toothbrush, soft wire brush and/or green scotchbrite and detergent will make pretty short work of the lighter varnish. Otherwise soaking the stuff that doesn't rust will loosen/dissolve the thicker junk.

Or you can get all your parts hot-tanked at some local engine machine shop for $50 or so.

-P
Thanks! def gonna try it. I did a few things with the part cleaner stuff i got worked pretty good.

quick update...still waiting for fedex to call so pretty sure they lost my ****. So i sent Bisimoto my other F22 i had from an older motor, should get it friday or monday then i'll just be waiting for my cam from them. Got my block back today she's looking purrrrty. My Nippon standard pistons came in. Along with my king main, rod and thrust bearings. I'll post pics tommorrow and the block rebuild starts friday so many more pics this weekend. Prob on Sunday ish...cause i'll be at MIR all saturday for the All Import show
Old 08-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

she's back!

Nippon Pistons Standard Size, with standard King Main,Rod, and thrust bearings

crank back in but not quite ready to go

and the picture i took of Roger's 9 sec prelude over the weekend lol!

so it's coming back together but ran into a problem with the main bearings almost all except one were right at the .0020 service limit and the one which fell in spec was still cutting it close at .0018 so i order new ones. Thrust was good, end play was well in spec. My new oil pump came in friday...waiting on the balance shaft eliminator. Fedex indeed did lose my first cam...so i resent a old one i had to Bisi which did make it there thursday according to the delivery confirmation. So waiting on those few things so i can get the block all done. Then it will be time to move on to the head. I will be taking a week off from the build cause i'm headed on vacation. But should give time for my parts to catch up.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey guys, back from vacation and got back to work...unfortunately my new over-sized bearings came in for the compensation i was having with my crank main clearances. After putting the over-sized on i went way under clearances being too tight (something i don't wanna do cause i'm afraid i'll easily spin a bearing) So we half-jacketed them with the std size and again they all almost closed they were around .0010in but on like the 3rd and i think 4th journals it calls for a little higher clearance so again i didn't want to assemble it too tight. so my question is after all that rambling...

Do you think i should just have my main journals on the crank milled down .005 which would put me in spec on all the mains. Or just buy a new remaned crank for like $200 bucks...I'm not sure what the machine shop will charge me for the mill, since i got home from work to late today (first day back from vacation...boy did it suck! ) and the shop was closed...but just want opinions and maybe a ball park what you think it might cost for the mill and is it worth it?

Quick Reply: F22A4 Turbo Build (for anyone who cares lol)