Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

96 accord odometer not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 accord odometer not working

I replace the crankcase speed sensor, and odometer still don't work and my automatic trans don't like shifting out, whats next to check and replace.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: 96 accord odometer not working

Just keep searching. I'm sure alot of ppl has been through this kind of problems.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update: automatic transmission is shifting out very smoothly now, but odometer and mileage still not working.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your circuit board on the speedo is probably faulty. Does your tach and other gauges work?
Old 06-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, my tach and everything else works fine
Old 06-08-2011, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get another cluster from a junkyard or craigslist and swap. If that doesn't work, then you may havw wiring issues. Mine broke and I replaced. Good luck.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok thanks alot for the info!
Old 06-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming your talking about the speedometer and not the odometer: While the pc boards are prone for failure on these cars I would first make sure your speed sensor is producing a signal. If it is, I would then head for the speedo head. The instrument cluster is a little tougher to take out than the speed sensor. If you need help with diagnosing the speed sensor let me know and I'll be glad to assist you. If it turns out to be your pc board I do repair work on those. A new pc board will cost you around $300, and you don't want to waste money on a used one. Like I said this is a very common problem with these vehicles and there is a very good possiblity that the used one you buy will be in worse shape than yours. It's not worth the time and aggrivation. Hope this helps.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Like the OP said already in his post, he already tried replacing the speed sensor.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...=odometer+snap

...worked for me. But even though it started working again the odometer numbers weren't lined up so I just replaced it with a $20 junk yard speedo head.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You could do what I do since my spedo cuts out all the time, drive by the tach.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hiro.Nakmura
You could do what I do since my spedo cuts out all the time, drive by the tach.
You could even use the sound from the engine as your radio.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 75aces
You could even use the sound from the engine as your radio.
lol! I like where this is going.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Roader

...worked for me. But even though it started working again the odometer numbers weren't lined up so I just replaced it with a $20 junk yard speedo head.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

where is the speedo head located?
Old 06-13-2011, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I understand that "75aces" but I don't know if he's installed a used speed sensor or aftermarket speed sensor that is faulty. A lot of times people come into the shop that have installed used/aftermarket parts thinking that they're the greatest things since they got them so cheap but their car still doesn't work properly. Always start by checking simple things first, that's my motto. If I were checking that car I would first make sure there was a GOOD signal from the VSS, which can be checked at the VSS connector via the orange wire. With the driver's side wheel blocked, and the other one spinning you should see 5volts being pulsed to ground. If I had that, I would then proceed to go upstream of the circuit. Most likely to the Speedo head pc board which is located behind the dash instrument cluster. I have intimate experience with these cars so I think I might know a thing or two about diagnosing them. Again, let me know if you need any assistance.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mothornton
where is the speedo head located?

Mothornton, just to be clear: you said "odometer and mileage still not working."
  • The speedometer DOES work, right?
  • If the speedometer DOESN'T work, then there may be nothing wrong with the speedo head.
  • If the speedometer DOES work but neither the trip meter nor the odometer work, then a new speedo head will fix you up
Did you try flicking the trip reset button a bunch of times to see if the odometer would come back from the dead? Last resort, push the reset button and let it snap back out again while the car is moving. Don't ever do that on a good speedo head, but resetting the trip meter going 30mph did get my odometer/trip meter going again.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I took mine to a speedo shop, they rebuilt it for about $125 in washington. So my mileage is correct.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

@justinsbg, I'm not a mechanic and I'm not trying to be one. I'm just trying to help out anyway I can. Yes you're right about possibly bad parts. But if all else fails, keep trying.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:43 PM
Trial User

I have a 97 Accord, OBD said VSS sensor, so I replaced (with junkyard part) what I think is the VSS Sensor. My Haynes book says it should have a yellow and black wire, mine has yellow and white wires. The connector has the yellow sensor wire connecting to a blue/yellow wire and the white sensor wire connecting to a blue green wire.

Is this the right sensor?

Since I have both connectors from the junkyard I'm going to make a test adapter to be able to measure the voltages. I'll post results later.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mothornton, just to be clear: you said "odometer and mileage still not working."
  • The speedometer DOES work, right?
  • If the speedometer DOESN'T work, then there may be nothing wrong with the speedo head.
  • If the speedometer DOES work but neither the trip meter nor the odometer work, then a new speedo head will fix you up
Did you try flicking the trip reset button a bunch of times to see if the odometer would come back from the dead? Last resort, push the reset button and let it snap back out again while the car is moving. Don't ever do that on a good speedo head, but resetting the trip meter going 30mph did get my odometer/trip meter going again.
your trick didnt work for me, but right neither my speedometer, odometer or trip meter will not work.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The VSS has a 3 pin connector and should have wire colors Orange, Yellow, and Black. Orange (vss output)is going to be the wire that you check the pulsed 5volts, Yellow wire should have battery voltage (around 12.5 with ignition switch on), and black wire is the ground(should have close to 0v). On your car it's located on top of the transmission to the lower left of the thermostat housing with 2 10mm head bolts that secure it in place. It's fairly easy to get to. Let me know what you find. If your speedometer is just plain not doing anything, you're more than likely going to have a failed VSS. Most of the time when it's a speedo head/pc board problem, the speedo works erratically.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Trial User

Can someone explain (hopefully with a diagram) the difference and locations of the Transmission Speed Sensor and the Vehicle Speed Sensor? I think I swapped the Transmission Speed Sensor.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Like I said, it's right below the thermostat housing a little to the left. Look at the 3 pin connector wire colors and you can't go wrong. By saying the transmission speed sensor, I'm assuming you're talking about the mainshaft and countershaft speed sensors. They have 2 pin connectors. That's how you know if you changed the right one. The tranny speed sensors have a round magnet that picks up the signal. The VSS is much different.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Michael701
Can someone explain (hopefully with a diagram) the difference and locations of the Transmission Speed Sensor and the Vehicle Speed Sensor? I think I swapped the Transmission Speed Sensor.
These links show the locations of the different sensors and some more information.

VSS:
http://techauto.awardspace.com/vss.html

NC and MN speed sensors:
http://techauto.awardspace.com/transmission.html

Quick Reply: 96 accord odometer not working