Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Accord (1990 - 2002)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 04-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
apitt005
Trial User
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default 1995 Honda Accord LX - Speedometer not working!

Hi there,

I have a '95 Honda Accord, and it is my first car, so I do not know everything I probably should about cars in general. So specific answers would be greatly appreciated.

When I bought my Accord, the speedometer & tripometer seemed to be working. Until one day I bought gas and when I pushed the button to reset the tripometer, it went to 0000 and now will not record any mileage.

My speedometer constantly tells me I am at 18-20mph even when I am completely stopped. When the engine turns, the needle does jump up to 40, but then goes back down to 20.

Also, when I start my car, it is telling me I'm idling close to 2.

What is the problem? Does something need to be reset or will I have to try to go to a junkyard and find a different one? If I do end up needing a new dash completely how would I record the miles since it won't be the same.
apitt005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
phootbag
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: 1995 Honda Accord LX - Speedometer not working!

Depends on the cause of the symptom. Sounds like the drive circuit in the speedometer head unit is faulty. It's replaceable as a unit, behind the gauge cluster. A speedometer repair shop can adjust the replacement speedometer head unit to match your current mileage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisff521 View Post
Ok so youre saying I should replace the whole "dizzy" ?
phootbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
Ricansuspect
Honda-Tech Member
1995 Honda Accord

Had the same problem with my speedometer in my 95 accord, i just changed the speedometer, not the complete cluster jus the speedometer and everything worked fine again
Ricansuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
75aces
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Get another cluster and switch the circuit board. If unsucessful, then the old one is no good. As phootbag suggested, you could have your cluster serviced, but could be very costly.
75aces is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
1995, 20, 95, accord, cluster, honda, honda1995, instrument, jumps, malfunction, problem, repair, speedomeer, speedometer, stumbleupon, working