Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

fuel leaking from charcoal canister

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 04:14 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 fuel leaking from charcoal canister

i just bought a 1996 honda accord 25th anniversary edtion.upon buying it i had to replace the fuel lines and rear brake lines.after replacing these parts car ran great for 2 days.then today the car started running ruff and stalling out. after looking under the hood i relized that fuel was coming out of the charcoal canister tube and running onto the ground.after it stopped leaking (about 30 mins later) i restarted car .it started hard but eventually started.ran fine and drove fine for about 15 mins then started running ruff again and leaking fuel again.was wondering if anyone ever had this prob. before? i am wondering if the charcoal canister went bad or the eltrical switch that is mounted to it is bad but dont know how to check these things.not really familar with these cars as this is the 1st honda i have ever owned.any help would be greatly appricated thanks.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: fuel leaking from charcoal canister

Replace the Charcoal Canister. It shouldn't leak oil or pouring out charcoal(future reference).

The charcoal's job is suppose to absorb the fuel as it comes from the fuel vapor line. When that electrical switch known as a Purge Solenoid purges the system which then draws air from the air vent in the charcoal canister will pick up the fuel from the charcoal back into the Intake Mani to reburn it. By doing this will reduce HC emissions.

Emission class sucks *****. I was soo sleepy in that class. Lol.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:25 AM
Trial User

thank you going to rplace the charcoal canister and see what happens.appricate the help thanx again
Old 02-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you "top off" when refueling? A new canister won't fix this problem.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:08 AM
Trial User

no im not topping off. this is happening and there is only 1/4 of a tank of gas.i replaced the canister and am still having the same problem. at a total loss now as i have never seen a problem like this before.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How long did it take after replacing the canister for liquid fuel to start coming from the canister?
Old 02-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Trial User

15 mins or so and the problem was exactly the same.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the canister saturated? I mean, how much fuel is coming out?
Old 02-20-2011, 02:31 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there must be something not hooked up right, nothing but fuel vapor should be going to that canister, no liquid fuel, it's not hooked up to the fuel return line for the FI is it? if it's hooked up right, then it's something is wrong with the two way valve on top of the tank. I'm thinking fuel return line, all of the fuel not used by the injectors is returned to the tank from the fuel rail, I have a 98 with the same setup and it works great, if you can't figure this out i can take pictures of the connections. what fuel lines did you replace?
Old 02-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A tiny amount (a couple of drops) is normal but, not anymore than that. Classic symptom of a bad fuel tank vapor control valve. Don't quote me but, it should be right in front of the fuel tank. Should be round-ish looking.

edit: Upon further review, it's that two-way valve on top of the tank that lostforawhile talked about.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Trial User

alot of fuel is coming out,enough to have to put a catch pan under car. i replaced the fuel feed line but the return line is very rusty and prob could use replacing.when i replaced the canister i put everything back the way it was.after trying a few things a loosened the gas cap to help the tank vent and the car starts right up and will idle perfectly,but as soon as you try to drive the car bogs out and sputters almost like a fuel filter is bad.im thinking what you guys are saying aboutthe two way valve sounds like the next place to check.thank you for all of the good info guys!going to drop the tank and see whats going on. will let you know what i find thanks again!
Old 03-05-2011, 05:59 AM
Trial User

I am having the same problem with my 95 accord. I am interested in how hard it is to replace that check valve and how easy it is to find one.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

have the same problem did the 2way valve work?
Old 06-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Trial User

I changed my fuel line as well. I am currently experiencing the same issue on a 94 accord. checked all the vacume lines and charcoal canister. But I would really like to know if the two way valve resolved it...
Old 09-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Trial User

Hi there. I had the exact same problem and accidently mixed up return line and vent line. I put lines back and worked fine. You will have to replace your charcoal filter because its saturated and will smell.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, I'm having the very same problem with a 1990 Honda Accord. I can drive for 15-20mins then the car tries to shut off and the canister leaks a large amount. Has anyone solved this problem yet?
Old 09-04-2013, 10:09 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The vacuum lines could be backwards.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

But it has ran fine for a month before hand. Why would it all of a sudden start now?
Old 09-05-2013, 11:03 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

it takes a while for the cannister to completely fill up...once it does it starts leaking out
Old 09-15-2013, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How long is a while, Would that explain bad gas millage. and also since this last post i have had the canister out of the car. Tonight i re-attached it and drove the car for a while.. (i was trying to test the fuel pressure regulator.) But anyways it drove as if nothing was wrong with the car at all.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On my fiances 01 Elantra, she kept topping it off (STUPID) and eventually it filled up the charcoal canister. The car would randomly die when coming to a stop, not accelerate, CEL was on, and when fueling the car the pump would keep kicking off while fueling...so it took like 10 minutes to fill up. Replaced the charcoal canister AND cleared the lines.

If the charcoal canister has been saturated there is a good chance that the charcoal pellets have broken up and become lodged in the lines/fuel pump sock (if there is one) and possibly the fuel filter. After getting them all cleared up and a new canister in it, it solved all of the problems.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When fueling i have the same problem. I didnt think it was a problem. How would i clear out the metal lines.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by 19Accord97
On my fiances 01 Elantra, she kept topping it off (STUPID) and eventually it filled up the charcoal canister. The car would randomly die when coming to a stop, not accelerate, CEL was on, and when fueling the car the pump would keep kicking off while fueling...so it took like 10 minutes to fill up. Replaced the charcoal canister AND cleared the lines.

If the charcoal canister has been saturated there is a good chance that the charcoal pellets have broken up and become lodged in the lines/fuel pump sock (if there is one) and possibly the fuel filter. After getting them all cleared up and a new canister in it, it solved all of the problems.
Wouldn't the check valve keep anything from going from the evap can towards the fuel tank ?
Old 09-15-2013, 11:43 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by dmatt711
When fueling i have the same problem. I didnt think it was a problem. How would i clear out the metal lines.
What 97accord says makes sense. Normally those things start getting filled up when people top off when they gas up. Is that what you do ?
Old 09-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i did the first 4 or 5 times ive filled the car. then i found out that its bad to do so.. is the check valve the two way valve bc if it is that what im trying to replace

Quick Reply: fuel leaking from charcoal canister