Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Acura Integra
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 12-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
x95DC2
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Icon6 Decent, cheap sound deadening material?

My car is gutted right now because of a leak that turned my car into a mobile swimming pool. Given this opportunity to take everything out of my car I decided I could kill a few birds with one stone. I'm looking to do some sound deadening in there but wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this material.

My bro bought his stuff from here:

http://sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

but that stuff is pretty pricey and I don't really want to drop that much $$ to cover two doors. I want to get as much coverage as possible but I'm working on a budget. I think he spent about 250 or so and he's only got his doors done. I know dynamat is pretty expensive so I'm not sure that's a viable option. Any ideas? There's a site called stockinteriors.com that sells their own sound deadning stuff but it doesn't look very good.

What I'm asking for may be impossible. Cheap but good sound deadening. I realize I may actually have to fork over some serious cash to get good sound deadening in my car. Any help would be appreciated!
x95DC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
Bright13
Honda-Tech Member
1990 Honda Accord
My Garage

Default Re: Decent, cheap sound deadening material?

I know there's some insulation stuff for ducts at like Lowes and places like that that is supposed to be good. There's a write up in the faq section about it I believe. Supposed to be very cheap and effective.
Bright13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
x95DC2
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks bright. I'll take a look.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
Bella
Honda-Tech Member
1998 Acura Integra

I have stuff that works just like Dynamat in my car...bought it at Home Depot in the roofing section...it was only like $15 for a whole roll. Can't remember what it's called, but if you just ask an employee where the roofing supplies are you'll see it. Looks just like Dynamat too...
Old 12-28-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
x95DC2
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Sounds like Peel n' Seal. Did it smell funky when you put it in? Would you say it's significantly quieter in your ride? I'm probably going to end up shelling out the cash for the legit deadening stuff (secondskinaudio, sounddeadenershowdown, etc) just because it seems like it's something you can't really get away with because of the problems with the cheaper material.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
PatrickGSR94
Honda-Tech Member
1994 Acura Integra

iTrader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to PatrickGSR94

Do not use roofing materials unless you want the inside of your car to smell like asphalt ALL the time during the warmer months.

I lined pretty much the whole inside of my car with eDead 45 from www.elementaldesigns.com. It's a 45-mil butyl material with aluminum facing and is only about $1 a sq foot or so.

However this did not really reduce road and tire noise at all. What you really need for that job is more of a foam-like material, such as the eDead v4 TekLite, which is a 1/4" thick closed-cell neoprene foam.

The butyl material is good for damping low frequencies from speakers and subwoofers. The neoprene material is better for insulating the car from higher frequencies like road and tire noise.

Cool thing about eDead and Elemental Designs is that you can order as little or as much of the stuff as you want.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/index.php?cPath=1_24

H-T OG member #8927 class of '02 ● Koni + GC InstallHID retrofit club
member #0001
PatrickGSR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
Bright13
Honda-Tech Member
1990 Honda Accord
My Garage

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/di...PagePosition=6 here is that link, it wasn't on Honda-tech. If any one is interested.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:05 PM   #8
PatrickGSR94
Honda-Tech Member
1994 Acura Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright13 View Post
http://www.team-integra.net/forum/di...PagePosition=6 here is that link, it wasn't on Honda-tech. If any one is interested.
That guy installed that material for HEAT reduction, not SOUND reduction. I believe he stated it did nothing to reduce interior cabin noise.

member #0001
Old 12-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #9
Bright13
Honda-Tech Member
1990 Honda Accord
My Garage

Oh, sorry. I had just remembered reading it some where, guess I should have taken the time to read it again.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #10
x95DC2
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks for the links and info Patrick. Exactly what I was looking for. If you happen to be looking in this thread again, how much did you spend (roughly) to get coverage for the entire car?
Old 12-28-2010, 02:40 PM   #11
PatrickGSR94
Honda-Tech Member
1994 Acura Integra

I think I bought around 125 s.f. for $125. I did double up the material in some areas. But as I said, don't rely on the butyl material for noise reduction in the cabin.

member #0001

submit to reddit

Tags
car, cars, cheap, dampening, deadener, deadening, dound, element, honda, inexpensive, material, materials, noise, odyssey, road, sound