Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Amsoil or Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amsoil or Royal Purple

Yes, I searched and found a lot of argueing over simple facts about oil in general, and I'm sure theyre both very similiar and it probably doesn't matter that much for the driving I do. However I would like to hear some simple opinions, yes, no, and why. I have a '95 Acura Integra Special Edition stock motor/trans, 149K miles, no engine modifications except K&N filter. Im currently running Amsoil 5w-30. Ive used Royal Purple 5w-30 in previous cars Ive had, and been satisfied. When I did my first oil change owning this car I noticed a little more noise with the Amsoil, and my friend noticed the same when he used it in his '96 Acura 3.2TL. When I change my oil I'm planning on switching to 0w-30, but I dont know if I want to stay with Amsoil or go back to Royal Purple. Ive noticed they both seem to clean the engine internals well, but besides noise and change interval I'm undecided. I'm an Amsoil dealer so I can get both at similiar cost, although cost doesn't really concern me.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Amsoil or Royal Purple

Did you verify what the engine noise was? Royal purple is good but ***** expensive for a stock car
Old 11-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.bobistheoilguy.com
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
Old 11-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mouab18c1
Did you verify what the engine noise was? Royal purple is good but ***** expensive for a stock car
No, I didnt verify what it was, just noticed there was a little something extra, that kinda saddened me. would have been a good idea though. I have noticed in engines that I've used Royal Purple in it tends to quiet them over previous oils.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A LOT of info to dig through there, but I was reading some of the oil analys' and they were intrigueing.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:34 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Purple is not needed for a stock car.

Mobil 1 is best bang for buck
Old 12-01-2010, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i use mobil 1 on a bolt on del sol and works just fine.

between the two you use id use amsoil.
to me RP is just a giant rip off for not that great of oil.
even if it says 5k id still do either change at 3ish. just to be safe.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Amsoil is -by far and away- better than purple and CERTAINLY better than mobilcrappy1
Old 11-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bright13
Yes, I searched and found a lot of argueing over simple facts about oil in general, and I'm sure theyre both very similiar and it probably doesn't matter that much for the driving I do. However I would like to hear some simple opinions, yes, no, and why. I have a '95 Acura Integra Special Edition stock motor/trans, 149K miles, no engine modifications except K&N filter. Im currently running Amsoil 5w-30. Ive used Royal Purple 5w-30 in previous cars Ive had, and been satisfied. When I did my first oil change owning this car I noticed a little more noise with the Amsoil, and my friend noticed the same when he used it in his '96 Acura 3.2TL. When I change my oil I'm planning on switching to 0w-30, but I dont know if I want to stay with Amsoil or go back to Royal Purple. Ive noticed they both seem to clean the engine internals well, but besides noise and change interval I'm undecided. I'm an Amsoil dealer so I can get both at similiar cost, although cost doesn't really concern me.
my recommendation is oil is oil. royal purple hps is good if youre looking for a little more power. other than that oil is oil. run valvoline 5w30 non syn. change every 7500. technology doesnt get worse it gets better. you see old people with all original classic cars all the time. they justchange oil at jiffy lube or goodyear. they only use non syn. also my experience says that something on the car will break before oil causes any problems
Old 11-26-2011, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used to be a amsoil and redline oil dealer years back. I honestly like amsoil i still use it in my bike. As far as royal purple never really cared for it neither did my customers. I found for some reason i would have more oil consumption on royal purple. Well thats my two cents
Old 11-26-2011, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Rotella synthetic is a good alternative if you ask me. I use it in my boosted teg and havent had issues/like it.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I believe AMSOIL brand has very good products. Royal Purple is very hard to find in GREECE.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Amsoil is the better choice. Look into Motul also
Old 11-27-2011, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I run Royal Purple in my 98 civic ex with a b16a has a header/intake exhaust. I do burn some oil so im not sure if that adds to oil consumpotion or not but I've never had a issue. It is expensive something like $10q in NY. I just bring my car to walmart and it costs $54.00 I get 5 quarts of oil + the filter and they change it. So for me it works cause 5q of oil is $50 and oil filter $5

I run amsoil sometimes when I need to add oil I pick it up at Napa its $12q and i mix it with the royal purple no problems with either
Old 11-27-2011, 06:43 AM
All Motor Mentor

Originally Posted by tempsohc
my recommendation is oil is oil. royal purple hps is good if youre looking for a little more power. other than that oil is oil. run valvoline 5w30 non syn. change every 7500. technology doesnt get worse it gets better. you see old people with all original classic cars all the time. they justchange oil at jiffy lube or goodyear. they only use non syn. also my experience says that something on the car will break before oil causes any problems
Oil is not just oil and not all technology is better. Old oil had lots of ZDDP (zinc) in it which worked great on old technology motors that used flat tapet lifters on the camshaft and without emission systems. When emission standards increased, zinc was considered a problem when it came to warranting catalytic convertors beyond 100,000 miles because the zinc in the oil would deteriorate them. So they started removing the zinc from the oil which caused increased engine wear problems (mostly around the cam(s) valvetrain area). The car manufacturers started updating their engine technology to use roller lifters and rockers, etc, to get around the lack of zinc which helped where direct metal to metal contact/friction was present. You'll notice that this valvetrain change was made when Honda went from the B-series motors, to the K-series. So depending on what engine you have and the technology used in it, determines the best type of oil to use in it

The people you see in old classic cars, don't usually put a lot of mileage on them and don't tend to run them hard. I would argue that most of them still use high quality products in their cars vs changing their oil at Goodyear or Jiffi lube but even if they didn't, you can still get buy on not so great oil if you more or less baby the car.

This discussion is somewhat similar to what happened back in the days where they removed lead from gasoline. Most people would agree that the gas we have today, wasn't as good as it was back then, certainly for performance applications but it also wasn't very eco friendly. You could run the old cars on the new unleaded gas if they weren't driven hard, fast, or in any great amount but if you did, your valve seats would quickly wear out.

Oil is not just oil and motors are not all just motors. If you understand that and know what your motor needs, you'll know what the proper oil is to buy.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 00Red_SiR
If you understand that and know what your motor needs, you'll know what the proper oil is to buy.
Nice speech. Now, what do you recommend for the OP, and why?
Old 11-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Royal purple can handle the most load out of any oil on the market... Meaning u get less wear.... This has been proven... FACT... And not by just a little its somewhere around 4x the amount of mobile
Old 11-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cant go wrong with mobil 1
Old 11-28-2011, 01:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by egjdmcivichatch
I agree not knocking it or the other ones I was just saying fyi.... He asked which is/the best I stated a fact royal purple has never been beaten...
Old 11-28-2011, 12:18 PM
All Motor Mentor

Originally Posted by DougNuts
Nice speech. Now, what do you recommend for the OP, and why?
Seriously, how hard is it to figure this stuff out? He's fine with either oil he wants to use. They are both good quality and his motor is stock.

Originally Posted by egjdmcivichatch
Not true. If the oil bottle has the API starburst symbol on it, it's best suited for newer engines with roller valvetrain and stockish cams because it has limited ZDDP in it.

Originally Posted by crxsi1
Royal purple can handle the most load out of any oil on the market... Meaning u get less wear.... This has been proven... FACT... And not by just a little its somewhere around 4x the amount of mobile
Marketing is a wonderful thing and I happen to somewhat like some Royal Purple products but real life and independant testing and real world testing is often different. Remember the old Duralube commercials where they treated the engines and then dumped out all the oil and then flooded the valvetrain with water? Well it worked without oil because the water reduced the heat from increased friction and offered some lubrication.

Coles notes: don't believe everything you see on TV, or at least question it.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just wait til Mobil 1 is on sale at Walmart for $19 a jug.

My old beater Accord went 330,000 miles on Castrol GTX every 3000.

Save your money for gas and a more expensive car with a more worthwhile engine.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Heck i just buy the cheapest crap i can get ive never noticed a difference.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ams oil has zinc,zinc is good for hondas or use zinc additive to protect your engine !!
Old 11-29-2011, 01:20 PM
All Motor Mentor

Originally Posted by Cs45F
Heck i just buy the cheapest crap i can get ive never noticed a difference.
well, if you own a lawn mower, I guess you wouldn't notice a difference. If your car was stock, you still probably won't notice a lot of difference, unless you're runnung big cams and/or drive it hard and actually take the valvecover off to see how your rocker arm pads are doing?
Old 11-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by frostwhite_92
Just wait til Mobil 1 is on sale at Walmart for $19 a jug.

My old beater Accord went 330,000 miles on Castrol GTX every 3000.

Save your money for gas and a more expensive car with a more worthwhile engine.
"In the money", - COD: Black Ops wager matches.

Just because they put it on the market doesn't mean you need it. People like to waste money or get easily brained washed like the corporate America. Everything is commercialized.

Castrol syntec blend or regular is just fine for all my Honda cars.

Quick Reply: Amsoil or Royal Purple