Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Could remote starter be causing problems with VTM?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could remote starter be causing problems with VTM?

So, here's our dilemma. Hoping someone can help us! We had a remote start installed at Best Buy a few winters ago on our 2004 Honda Pilot. I am suspicious that the wiring was done incorrectly because when I use the remote start, that's when the problem occurs-- the VTM light comes on and will engage. In addition, the VTM will randomly engage even when I start the car with the ignition key. The starter was installed a few winters ago and since then, every fall/winter the problem occurs. Our local Honda service guys can't seem to figure it out. So, does anyone have experience with a remote starter interfering with the VTM? Secondly, can anyone advise how to disable the remote starter myself (thinking if I do this and the VTM problem goes away, I've at least diagnosed the problem). Thanks for any help!
Old 11-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Could remote starter be causing problems with VTM?

not sure what could be causing that...if i were you i would disconnect the remote start controller and see if the problem goes away.

but i do see a recall for the powertrain

NHTSA Recall #04V176000 POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

2004 HONDA PILOT -- On some mini vans, sport utility and passenger vehicles, certain operating conditions can result in heat build-up between the countershaft and secondary shaft second gears in the automatic transmission, eventually leading to gear tooth chipping or gear breakage.

Gear failure could result in transmission lockup, which could result in a crash.

On vehicles with 15,000 miles or less, the dealer will update the transmission with a simple revision to the oil cooler return line to increase lubrication to the second gear.

On vehicles with more than 15,000 miles, the dealer will inspect the transmission to identify gears that have already experienced discoloration due to overheating. If discoloration exists, the transmission will be replaced if discoloration is not present, the dealer will perform the revision to the oil cooler return line.

The recall began on April 21, 2004, for Pilot, Odyssey, and MDX owners. Owners of the Accord vehicles will start receiving letters on June 28, 2004, and on June 29, 2004, for owners of the TL and cl vehicles.

Owners should contact Honda at 1-800-999-1009 or Acura at 1-800-382-2238.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:44 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Could remote starter be causing problems with VTM?

If the blower motor works when car is remote started then the remote start is wired properly and it is very unlikely that it is causing the problem, I would be more inclined to think it may be the immobilizer bypass module.

The remote start is only a parallel connection and does exactly what the ign. key does, the bypass on the other hand is "tricking" the ECU/ECM into thinking a key is in the ign.

I would want to know what brand of bypass is being used and if keysense has benn connected, [required for proper remote start operation].

I would definitely look into what 2k.civic.si has mentioned about the recall. 94