Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Accord (1990 - 2002)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 10-31-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
Elvis1977
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Lower ball joint replacement

I have a 98 Accord 4-cyl. with 201k miles. I am the original owner and the lower ball joints are original. One boot (dust boot) on the passanger side has a hole in it and is leaking slightly. With 201k miles should I go ahead and replace both lower ball joints or just replace the dust boot that has a hole in it? I'm planning on keeping the car forever. Thanks.
Elvis1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
sgraham01
Honda-Tech Member
1994 Honda Accord

Default Re: Lower ball joint replacement

it would be much easier and cost effective to just replace the boots that are torn, as long as the joint is still good. add some new grease if you only do the boot job.
sgraham01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
Elvis1977
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

At 201k the lower ball joints on both sides could fail soon right? Maybe I should just replace them both and be done with it. What do you guys think?
Elvis1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
sgraham01
Honda-Tech Member
1994 Honda Accord

not necessarily. they should never "fail", just start to wear and get loose. There will be much more work involved to change the joints compared to changing the boots. if you test the joints by jacking the car up under the lower arm and trying to pry the wheel up, you may find some slack. if so, replace the joints. if not, I'd save some time and money by installing a boot and regreasing. will probably go another 100k if you caught it soon enough.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:24 AM   #5
94EG8
Honda-Tech gave me this lousy title
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis1977 View Post
At 201k the lower ball joints on both sides could fail soon right? Maybe I should just replace them both and be done with it. What do you guys think?
At 201K i wouldn't expect a whole lot more life out of them, but if you're going to replace them and plan on keeping the car buy genuine honda ball joints, you wont get that kind of ridiculous mileage out of cheap parts store ball joints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgraham01 View Post
not necessarily. they should never "fail", just start to wear and get loose. There will be much more work involved to change the joints compared to changing the boots. if you test the joints by jacking the car up under the lower arm and trying to pry the wheel up, you may find some slack. if so, replace the joints. if not, I'd save some time and money by installing a boot and regreasing. will probably go another 100k if you caught it soon enough.
They'll get loose first, but they will eventually fail and seperate if left alone. Seen it before. Lower ball joint seperates and first thing your car's in the ditch. That said if theres no play in the joints then you can always just put a new boot on and check for play at least once a year.

Per ardua ad astra

My F/S thread -> http://hondamarketplace.com/showthread.php?t=2900962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightsport View Post
Hello,

This is Knightsport, from the internet. I will be out of the internet from June 2 and returning on June 11th. In my absence I suggest you pray as there can be only one Knightsport from the internet.

Thank you and God Bless,

-Knightsport
94EG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
Targa250R
be professional
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis1977 View Post
Check for freeplay in the joint using a pry bar between the lower control arm and the knuckle while the wheels are off the ground.

If you can feel any play, replace the joint. No play = no need to replace.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
ilikehonda
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

lower ball joints are cheap...just replace them.
ilikehonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #8
sgraham01
Honda-Tech Member
1994 Honda Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94EG8 View Post
At 201K i wouldn't expect a whole lot more life out of them, but if you're going to replace them and plan on keeping the car buy genuine honda ball joints, you wont get that kind of ridiculous mileage out of cheap parts store ball joints.

They'll get loose first, but they will eventually fail and seperate if left alone. Seen it before. Lower ball joint seperates and first thing your car's in the ditch. That said if theres no play in the joints then you can always just put a new boot on and check for play at least once a year.
I agree. All I meant was that they don't just come apart without first getting worn.

if you are dismantling the suspension for other things, then go ahead and replace the joints. if not, it will take some work to get the axle and other stuff disconnected to replace them. it's easiest with the knuckle off the car.

submit to reddit

Tags
2001, 94, accord, ball, change, changing, civic, cost, dc5, honda, joint, lower, prelude, replace, replacement