Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Catbacks? Is it street Legal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catbacks? Is it street Legal?

Hi,

I live in NYC area(Queens). I just want to know if anyone here live in NYC too? Cuz I want to know hows the driving experience in NYC with those loud catbacks like Skunk2 Mega Power, Apexi N1 and those HKS?

I want to know if you got pulled over by cop and got ticketed or if cops demand you a ticket and a removal of muffler and change it to the quiet ones?

I also want to know how often if you have several tickets from the loud sound?

In my area, I heard some loud cars like everyday at night in the neighborhood. I wonder if cops will pull them over for the loud sound?
Old 10-23-2010, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Catbacks? Is it street Legal?

I will never understand how people can be ticketed for having a "loud" car, but motorcycles (Harleys and the like) won't be bothered.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive spent some time up there, If I were you I would do anything to get any extra attention from nyc's finest... blah.

After growing up, exhausts are a waste of time unless your motor is built or turbo, beyond that your just asking for a annoying exhaust tone and to get pulled over.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:57 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree, a loud exhaust will only draw heat and cost you money, good news is, it does not have to be loud to be good, I run a 5Zigen 2.5" and it is not loud at all until I am at WOT and even then it is less the 93dB,[limit in BC for cars and autocross].

Performance is not related to how loud the exhaust is. 94
Old 10-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RogueMoog
I will never understand how people can be ticketed for having a "loud" car, but motorcycles (Harleys and the like) won't be bothered.
Tell me about it, I got pulled over on the interstate for amplified exhaust. Just then, a harley, and a big ol f350 with duals come on by. He turned away, and told me to get on going....Oh well. BTW, that was on 94 in Wisconsin.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as long as it is a 50state legal exhaust they can't pull u over and ticket you for that

but it still will attract attention

i have a greddy evo2 dont kno how loud it is compared to a sk2
Old 10-23-2010, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by madblkscientist
as long as it is a 50state legal exhaust they can't pull u over and ticket you for that

but it still will attract attention

i have a greddy evo2 dont kno how loud it is compared to a sk2
Actually, they can here in Florida. The 50 state legal stuff refers to emissions. Florida statutes say that you can have an aftermarket exhaust, but it must not exceed the volume of the OEM exhaust. In other words, one decibel louder, and you can be cited.

Fortunately, not many cops enforce that. If you're like me and drive considerately, you'll probably be left alone. From my experience, the exhaust is more like a cherry on top--you'll rarely get pulled over for just an exhaust, but if you get pulled over for speeding they'll certainly mention it. It's a good excuse to drive carefully.

Not sure how Miami is, but here in Orlando there's enough ricers to distract police anyways.

That being said, OP research your local laws. Regardless of the situation, that way you'll be prepared.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by double wishbone
Actually, they can here in Florida. The 50 state legal stuff refers to emissions. Florida statutes say that you can have an aftermarket exhaust, but it must not exceed the volume of the OEM exhaust. In other words, one decibel louder, and you can be cited.

Fortunately, not many cops enforce that. If you're like me and drive considerately, you'll probably be left alone. From my experience, the exhaust is more like a cherry on top--you'll rarely get pulled over for just an exhaust, but if you get pulled over for speeding they'll certainly mention it. It's a good excuse to drive carefully.

Not sure how Miami is, but here in Orlando there's enough ricers to distract police anyways.

That being said, OP research your local laws. Regardless of the situation, that way you'll be prepared.
i was told by my officer friend that it has to exceed 80 decible's in order for it tobe illegal plus emmissions(but we have no emmissions regulations no more)
Old 10-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was told by my officer friend that it has to exceed 80 decible's in order for it tobe illegal plus emmissions(but we have no emmissions regulations no more)
Done thread-jacking after this OP, sorry.

But I did my research and it appears you are correct. I can't validate the 80 decibel limit (I thought most states were 93 or so), but recent Florida statutes indicate you can have a modified/louder exhaust than OEM.

Here's the first reference I found:

http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/ge...e-posting.html

And here's the direct link to the laws from the state:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/.../0316.272.html

It appears section 5 was taken out of 2010. I didn't know that.

To try to bring this back around to the OP's state, it appears NY has the law I thought Florida had.

31. Mufflers and exhaust systems. Prevention of noise. Every motor
vehicle, operated or driven upon the highways of the state, shall at all
times be equipped with an adequate muffler and exhaust system in
constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or
unusual noise and no such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped
with a cut-out, bypass, or similar device. No person shall modify the
muffler or exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will
amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor or exhaust system of
such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler or exhaust system
originally installed on the vehicle and such original muffler and
exhaust system shall comply with all the requirements of this section.
A muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle
plates, or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust
gas from an internal combustion engine, and effective in reducing noise.
An exhaust system is a series of mechanical devices for the purpose of
receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and expelling
it into the atmosphere."
So you legally can't have an exhaust louder than stock.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by double wishbone

If I will follow the local laws here in NYC, its boring.
Anyway since youve said that, the law said that any modification from your vehicle is illegal, any parts from factory thats been replaced with aftermarket parts is illegal.

Basically, you cant mod any part of your car. But I saw lots of cars here mod, its just if it is your bad day, thats it...
Old 10-26-2010, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check your laws bcuz ur suppose tobe able to modify your car as long as it is within the guide lines there are many replacement parts that are aftermarket but not factory

i dont live in new york but if u say any mods cant be done what are aftermarket rims,tints,hids,lowering springs or lift kits, etc. easy answer ask some1 that works for dot
Old 10-26-2010, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check your laws bcuz ur suppose tobe able to modify your car as long as it is within the guide lines there are many replacement parts that are aftermarket but not factory

i dont live in new york but if u say any mods cant be done what are aftermarket rims,tints,hids,lowering springs or lift kits, etc. easy answer ask some1 that works for dot
This is true, what I posted was only referring to exhausts. You can't modify the exhaust in any way that would make it louder than stock. That's not to say you can't have aftermarket exhausts, it just can't be louder than stock. Granted, I don't necessarily agree with that law and even purchased a louder exhaust when I believed that law was applicable in my area.

I don't think modifications are illegal in your area, that would be ridiculous. But according to what I found, you can be pulled over and ticketed for a loud exhaust as a non-moving violation. That's important to consider when you want to know your likelihood of receiving attention. Even so, I have friends who get pulled over where louder exhausts (within limits) get pulled over for a "warning" but never get officially cited or ticketed. I've never been pulled over for mine yet.

Do some research and let us know what you come up with