Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

EK steering rack de-power + Integra Pinion

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EK steering rack de-power + Integra Pinion

I know a lot of the EK guys out there are interested in this, so I decided to post up my own thread about my experience. Below is what I have done so far, I will post an update on Tuesday, as well as Wednesday when my Integra Pinion gear and ES Rack bushings show up. The rack is from a 2000 Civic.

First things first, I didn't want to just loop the lines to de-power the rack. I learned how to completely de-power a rack by being in the Miata world. We do it this way all the time.

Here's the rack after a good cleaning. It was covered in a nice layer of caked on grease/oil.

This is where I ran into my first problem. The nut/bolt thing on the end that you have to take out to release the rack stripped when I tried to take it out. For a minute I thought I had ruined the rack, but fear not! After I shot this photo I ground the bad threads down. The plan is to tap it back into the rack housing with a hammer and weld it shut. I shouldn't have to go back in there for anything, but if I do then I guess I'll have to buy another rack.

Now this is how you actually de-power a power rack. You have to cut the piston off of the rack. This will allow you to weld up the fittings for the lines and seal the rack housing completely. No lines looped, no extra clutter.

That's where we stop today. I'll update this thread again on Tuesday with reassembly pictures.

Last edited by 96romaEK; 07-01-2010 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-29-2010, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EK steering rack de-power + Integra Pinion

Got everything reassembled. Thinking it's going into the car tomorrow night. I'll post pics in the next day or two of everything.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Forgot my camera at work, so I'll have to post update pictures tomorrow.

BUT!

WOW! Is just about all I have to say about this mod. Totally worth it. Steering is a lot tighter over the standard manual rack. Turn in is excellent.

My opinion: Do this mod if you are even slightly thinking about it. Do eet!
Old 07-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's the rest of the pics.

The welds to fix the stripped threads on the end:

Couple comparison pictures of the two pinion gears. Civic left, Integra right.

I cut all the piping off the fittings and had them welded shut:

And top it off with Energy Suspension bushings:

Last edited by 96romaEK; 07-01-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am doing the same with mine... I will post pics of the process as well in this thread if you are ok with that.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's cool, better to keep all information in one place. Doesn't seem like too many people are interested in it right now, but I figure it'll help people in the future.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done this mod and I'm very happy with it.
3 turns end to end before rubbing. Tires are 225/50/16 though and the car is slightly lowered.
I love the feeling except in parking lots when I need to make a 15 point turn lol
Old 07-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just did this recently, feels much better to me when driving. stiffer at low speeds.. but i figure it saves me some money on a gym membership.

if you want to get the large nut off the end of the rack, you drill out where its tapped and it won't destroy the threads. to close off where the lines go on my rack i just went to kingbolt and got some set screws that fit nice and flush.

at first i had just removed the rubber seal because i figured it would make it slightly tighter but still be free flowing. heres a little better photo of the piston still on the rack.

(Ignore the notes on the photo, they're from when i was showing a friend the procedure.)
cutting off the piston is definitely the way to go though. final product is much tighter than the OE manual rack and turn in is MUCH MUCH quicker.

what did you use inside your rack for lubricant? grease? power steering fluid?

if anyone wants photos of any piece i still have a rack taken apart in the garage that im saving for when i do MR2 electro-hydraulic power steering.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just used all purpose grease on the pinion gear and the gear on the rack. No need to lube anything else up.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Would just looping the lines as usal give the same feeling?
I love have not haveing ps feels, but digging into the rack seems like a lot of work.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The only other car I have looped lines on was my Miata, and I didn't like the feel. I never drove one with the same rack de-powered the correct way, so I can't really comment on a difference if there is one.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by 96romaEK
The only other car I have looped lines on was my Miata, and I didn't like the feel. I never drove one with the same rack de-powered the correct way, so I can't really comment on a difference if there is one.
ok,well i will actually get to drive a car that the ps was removed like this, today.
So i guess ill find out lol, i think he also used the integra pinon.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Master Detailer

I drove it, and wow. it does feel better then just the regular looped lines, but maybe it's just the integra pinon.
I dont know, but its a huge upgrade from ps, just not sure if it's worth all the work.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd say it's worth it. Just had the car aligned this morning (just toe adjustments) and it feels great.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice write up. Ill add to this by sharing this old thread:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/steering-ratio-news-swapping-integra-pinion-assembly-ek-rack-2422762/

Now does anyone know where i can source a used integra pinion?
Old 07-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Other than junk yards, or purchasing a used rack off of eBay, you're only bet is to post something in the WTB section and wait it out. Someone finally popped up on here with one at a very reasonable price and I snagged it up.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

was this done with motor still in car?
Old 07-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah. I always have a lift at work that I can use, so I did everything from underneath. I left the tie rod ends attached to the steering knuckles and just backed the tie rods out of them. Unhooked the column from inside the car after turning the wheel all the way to the left, unbolted the rack and slowly wiggled it out.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you couldn't have posted this thread at a better time. I got a CX hatchback recently and i have manual steering. It doesn't both me not having power steering (although I like power steering) but the ratio sucks.

All you basically did was take the power rack (quicker ratio than manual rack) and replaced the pinion on the end of the steering shaft? So I would need the rack from a PS Civic and the pinion from an integra steering column correct?

Another quick question, this one may be kinda dumb, but the ratio is dependent on the gearing of the pinion to the gearing on the rack correct?

p.s. what is your new lock to lock?
Old 07-20-2010, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, 1996-00 Power steering rack, and a 1994-01? (I believe) Integra pinion gear. Make sure you also get the rubber boot that seals the top of the pinion housing to the car from the Integra, because the manual rack one will not fit right. If you plan on keeping it manual, you can use the Integra pinion housing and just bolt it right on to the Civic rack. If you want to make it powered, you have to swap over the Civic housing on to the Integra Pinion. I didn't have to do this so I do not know if it will create an issue.

I was told this was good for ~3.3 turns lock to lock. I haven't measured it, although I can do that tonight.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Trial User

How do you guys remove the rack gear from the housing if you don't mind me asking. In the helms it says to use a press but I'm not sure which one to get. Or should I just take it to a shop and have them press it out?
Old 08-14-2011, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just finished up mine tonight... Took me about 45minutes start to finish. I took out the rubber seal at the end, and cut the piston clean off. Lubed the rack up because i noticed there was a seal far inside, and figure it couldn't hurt. Lubed the pinion. Put it all back together, cut my lines out of the fittings. Tomorrow i am welding them all shut and it's a done deal. I have been riding around with my power steering pump and lines zip tied to the side of my frame rail for a year now lol.

Figured since i pulled my motor out to paint and tuck my engine bay... Might as well get this done. Glad about how easy it was and how it turned out.

Only thing that gave me a problem was getting the rack out of the housing. I used a 1/2 extension and just hit it out of the nut side that was taken off. Props also to posting up about drilling out the lock bolt.

Awesome write up... would do it again if i needed to :D
Old 08-22-2011, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If You are saying Integra Pinion - you are reffering to ANY integra pinion or ONLY Type-R one ?
Will a pinion from a standard Integra make a difference comparing to SIR EK (EK4)?
Old 08-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

happened to stumble upon this thread after almost a year. Any pinion gear from any integra will fit on any power steering 96-00 rack. I can confirm that. However, there may be a difference in the pinion gear from an integra 3 dr and an integra 4dr. I know their turn radius is different and have heard their lock to lock is different as well.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I kno it's old but this is a great mod us EK owners have so few options for increasing are steering speed. My question is can I do this mod and maintain the factory PS in my EK??

Quick Reply: EK steering rack de-power + Integra Pinion