Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Civic 2002 Electrical question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic 2002 Electrical question

My 02 Civic has hand brake light on, AC won't work, and door locks won't lock other than manually. This all happened at once, so I thought it was electrical. No fuses seem to be blown. Anyone know what the problem might be?
Thanks!
Old 07-16-2008, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Civic 2002 Electrical question (scissel)

Replace the thermal protector, top off the brake fluid and call me in the morning :-)

I don't think they share anything in the circuit... not sure how all could happen at once.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic 2002 Electrical question (vapor40)

did u check ALL the fuses? even the ones under the hood?
Old 07-19-2008, 10:47 AM

i have the exact same problem with my 02' civic...
I checked all the fuse (even under the hood) and they are all fine

have you found a any solution to this problem?

Thanks,
Frank
Old 07-28-2008, 06:16 AM

This sounds like a recall issue. In fact, I have the same conditions with my '02 Civic Si. Again, apparently it all happened at the same time and my low windshield wiper setting does not work also. Please someone help, its summer and we don't want to wait to winter. Oh and one other issue; the bell that dings when the head lights are on and the driver is open, does not ding! What is up? In my case, I have checked all fuses (under hood) that I thought could be a cause and all is well. I have also checked all of each of the relays under the hood and all is good. I have not checked all the fuses under the steering column, but will be looking at that in the meantime.

Is the thermal protector a legitimate course of action? What is this a thermal protector of (fuse box)?
Old 07-28-2008, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

at least i know im not alone lol ive had this problem for almost a year now and still havent found an answer i was gonna take it in to the stealership
Old 07-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (DynastyRacer22)

Don't replace the thermal protector on the AC compressor unless it is determined to be faulty.

I'm going to look and see if there appears to be anything that these system could share that would cause this symptom. I'll post back if I find anything.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic 2002 Electrical question (soupona)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by soupona &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This sounds like a recall issue. In fact, I have the same conditions with my '02 Civic Si. Again, apparently it all happened at the same time and my low windshield wiper setting does not work also. Please someone help, its summer and we don't want to wait to winter. Oh and one other issue; the bell that dings when the head lights are on and the driver is open, does not ding! What is up? In my case, I have checked all fuses (under hood) that I thought could be a cause and all is well. I have also checked all of each of the relays under the hood and all is good. I have not checked all the fuses under the steering column, but will be looking at that in the meantime.

Is the thermal protector a legitimate course of action? What is this a thermal protector of (fuse box)?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The headlight reminder and door "dinger" are probably related. I suspect a problem with the signal to the pcm from the door switch. The most likely fault is a failed door switch.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Drop the glove box down. On the right hand side of the Cabin Filter door is a ground. Check the integrity of that ground. Let me know what you find.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Civic 2002 Electrical question (phootbag)

I have taken my car into a friends shop and the outcome was trobleshot to be the Multiplex Control Module, or otherwise Honda's equivilent, situated under the stearing column, the last link in this circut chain that entails the Cruise Control, AC, Power locks (even key pad), brake light indicator, etc.

I will check also the ground next to the glove box; have not done that yet.

Also, this Multiplex unit is on national back order, so good luck getting this any time very soon.

Otherwise, everyone that I have talked to about this issue is firstly indicating that it is a grounding issue. However, in my case all fuses have tested good. I am curious to look into the ground wire beside the cabin filter. I did have some minor work done on that side of the car recently, dealing with a loose nut atop the front shock.

Thanks for all of the input; I would really like to not spend approx. $200 for the replacement of the Control Module.

Later.

P.S. "Stealership"; isn't that fitting!

Modified by soupona at 11:38 AM 7/31/2008

Modified by soupona at 11:49 AM 7/31/2008

Modified by soupona at 11:52 AM 7/31/2008
Old 08-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The ground that I mentioned is shared by the keyless reciever unit and the HVAC control module. A problem there COULD explain your symtpom. A bad ground will never cause a blown fuse. The multiplex unit could also cause your problem since a bunch of systems rely on serial communication for component controls.

As for the stealership goes, I am a tech at a Honda dealership. I know that at most dealerships there is probably at least one person who shouldn't be working on cars. But, many independent shops are probably the same. I would expect, since Honda offers training that is free to the technician, that I'd be more likely to find someone who knows what they are doing. Plus, techs at a dealership have much better resources than most independent shops. I've worked at independent shops and know how much Mitchell and even ( to a lesser extent ) AllData sucks. Some shops pay for Honda's independent interactive network but most don't.

A shop that rips you off is not limited to the dealership. And, it is usually defined by the individuals working there, not just because of the fact that the business sells new cars.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:56 AM

Default Re: Civic 2002 Electrical question (phootbag)

Good times! Well the search for the ground wire in proximity to the Cabin Filter has not gone so well. At this point I am about ready to purchase a repair and replacement guide for this car, so I can see diagrams and other reference points to be looking for. In other words I did not find the ground wire behind the glove box. Maybe I did not try hard enough. Is there any kind of online database that will show specific locations or diagrams to locate and access this and other areas of concern?

I for one appreciate your willingness to consul us beginners, but short of holding my hand; I could use a little more specific guidance in locating certain parts.

Please do not take offense at our jesting about dealerships. Personally, my grief has not come from the tech's working on my car, but the service associates who want to claim that my car needs +$800 worth of parts and labor for boots and suspension work; all stemming from my explanation of a nock noise coming from the front right corner, only sounding when moving over a bump or whole. Come to find out, this issue was only a loose nut on top of the front strut mount... woh, pay me $800 to not fix the problem, ya right! O.K., ya maybe some credibility could be awarded to the service associate, but if there troubleshooting led to this and was repaired there way and it did not fix the problem I had described, I would be pissed. Although, maybe that is the direction I should have taken; then maybe I would have received parts for free because of fraudulent misrepresentation. Either way the problem was fixed and I am not out $800.

"Pay me to make the right decision!"
Old 08-10-2008, 04:22 PM

I had thid problem the past week, and a Honda Dearler guy said me that I must to replace the Assy. Fuse Box, part number 38200-S5P-A32, it´s about $200, I don´t want to spend this money.

Somebody has solve this problem? My Civic has all the symptom mentioned above!!!!
Old 08-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've seen quite a few with similiar problems you're describing.

If you took it to a delaer and they said you need a multiplex then thats what you need.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Civic 2002 Electrical question

The problem was SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!
I changed the Assy. Fuse Box (under the Steering Wheel) and all the functions are ON again!!!!!!!! definitively that was the problem. Follow this and your Civic return to work again!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry for digging up an old thread. I have a 2003 Civic EX. All was fine, then parking brake light on, no AC, and no power locks. Is the part # for my car the same as the one mentioned above 38200-S5P-A32 ? Thanks for the help guys.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For anyone else wondering, it was the multiplex controller unit for my car that fixed it.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:30 AM
New User

I have a 02 Honda Civic LX My car wont start, none of the lights inside or outside turn on. I put the key into turn on and it doesnt. I check fuse under the hood are fine the fuse under the steering are good and theres power in the fuse block under the hood but no power under the steering. Could it be the multiplex whicH I replkaced and things didnt work or is it the ecu?
Old 03-31-2010, 01:17 PM
TRIAL USER

Originally Posted by rfaa
The problem was SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!
I changed the Assy. Fuse Box (under the Steering Wheel) and all the functions are ON again!!!!!!!! definitively that was the problem. Follow this and your Civic return to work again!!!!!!!!!
Follow what? I guess you had a link and it is now gone. If your still checking in on this board, I would like to know how you did it. specifically how you did it.

I have the exact same problem, but it is on a 2001 Honda civic lx

Josh
Old 03-31-2010, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jirwinftw
Follow what? I guess you had a link and it is now gone. If your still checking in on this board, I would like to know how you did it. specifically how you did it.

I have the exact same problem, but it is on a 2001 Honda civic lx

Josh
rfaa
Last Activity: 12-28-2008 07:22 PM

He said he replaced the fuse box under the steering wheel...